Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Been playing around with a voxel editor the last couple of days, trying my hand at some modeling. It was quite fun. :)

I made all the below from scratch, using reference photos for the greebles (the production crew on Star Wars created the surface structures from raiding model kits, and created prop squares that they could assemble any way they liked, see: https://starwarsblog.starwars.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2014/11/EP4_BTS_947_R.jpg

I basically did the same :P Overall

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Still playing around with voxels. It's a pretty chill thing to do while listening to books. Kind of gives me a similar zen state as jigsaw puzzles. I may just be getting old. :D

Recreating things is relatively straightforward (just takes patience to get details and proportions right), but I find coming up with original designs a lot harder. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Had this Reddit thread saved for some reason, probably to post here. :P (Was going to post in Ohio thread, but wasn't sure if appropriate.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/uzrya5/in_poland_there_is_a_larp_group_that_roleplays_as/

QuoteIn Poland, there is a LARP group that roleplays as contemporary Americans. Here they are doing "Ohio."

—Stephen Jay Gould

Threviel

Syt

Yeah, that's a major mark against the accuracy. :D

I posted some "redneck" Finns a while ago, but it seems those image sources are gone. They too looked far too skinny.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Syt

Looks like some kind of beauty mask? Looking closer I think it's some kind of wrap/paper/foil thing?

Something along the lines of this, maybe: https://www.honest.com/beauty-products/skincare/reusable-magic-silicone-sheet-mask/B0065MRM0000S.html
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Curious.
I have a former colleague in czechia who worked for a year in the US. Apparently now he's back he does a yearly thing of full American thanksgiving for his friends. This looks like a similar idea but amped up.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

mongers

Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2022, 03:06:17 AMAh, the 60s, when even the ads were segregated.  :(

They're wearing the same clothes, save for the girls; so did the photographer dress the white people, then when they'd gone get the black Americans to wear those clothes?

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on December 30, 2022, 09:43:07 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 30, 2022, 03:06:17 AMAh, the 60s, when even the ads were segregated.  :(

They're wearing the same clothes, save for the girls; so did the photographer dress the white people, then when they'd gone get the black Americans to wear those clothes?

:lol:

Though squinting I think the black and white stripey shirt might be different too? Black dude seems to have thinner lines.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

So these were apparently ads in Canadian papers in the 60s ...

Honestly a bit disappointed in Ted Lasso there in the first pic.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Damn thats depressing.
Excuse me whilst I go hug the boy.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

The city of Itzehoe historically was split into 4 different jurisdictions (1617 - 1861). The Wikipedia article now has a map from 1848 that delineates them:

Full size: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/Itzehoe_Grundriss_1848.jpg

White: city law (originally in the middle ages "Lüb'sches Stadtrecht", i.e. after Lübeck's city laws)
Yellow: Jursidiction of the monastery
Brown: Jurisdiction of the "Burg" (castle)
Blue: Jurisdiction of the Counts of Breitenburg
—Stephen Jay Gould