Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

1970s men's fashion. Feast your eyes.

Shirt and undies in one? GENIUS!

:uffda:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on August 07, 2015, 12:53:56 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2015, 12:47:28 AM
I'd guess the problem was that those pictures represent too small a segment of the population.

Most likely; similar with the pictures from pre-war Afghanistan. I thought the book Kite Runner gave a decent (if brief) account of the pre-war differences between classes/ethnic groups from the view of a privileged child.

He should have checked his privilege.

Anyway I think, in Afghanistan's case, it is not entirely unlikely that a place would be much better coming off several decades of peace than it would be several decades of war. Even poor people don't enjoy decades of war. Or so I hear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grallon

:bleeding: What a terrible decade...

Although props for knowing how to showcase men's packages.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

mongers

The raven haired girl in the green mini-dress looks just like my cousin and back then would have been of similar age.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Pedrito

Nice pics!  :)

I recognize Barcelona, the Forbidden city, Palmanova, Venezia, but the others?
The big messy city seems Mexico City.

L.

Edit: no, the star-shaped one isn't Palmanova. Palmanova is bigger.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

The sun shaped one is Mexico City. :) The messy one is Marrakech.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Maladict

Quote from: Pedrito on October 08, 2015, 12:39:31 PM
Nice pics!  :)

I recognize Barcelona, the Forbidden city, Palmanova, Venezia, but the others?
The big messy city seems Mexico City.

L.

Edit: no, the star-shaped one isn't Palmanova. Palmanova is bigger.

No, not Palmanova. I think it's Bourtange in the Netherlands.

mongers

I think most people will find at least a half-dozen astonishing images in this Reuters slideshow of images from the news this week, some of the images might be bit strong but worth a viewing here:

http://uk.reuters.com/news/picture/photos-of-the-week?articleId=USRTS5OLJ

I won't spoil the effect by posting images in this thread, I feel it's better to view all twenty together and be able to read the descriptive notes.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould