Syt's Pictorial Collection of Stuff and Things (image heavy)

Started by Syt, June 07, 2015, 02:08:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Some PR ads:

And a special one for Tyr (though I believe RH actually lived this ... :hmm: ):

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on December 14, 2018, 05:42:14 AM
And a special one for Tyr (though I believe RH actually lived this ... :hmm: ):

This is still common practice in Australia :outback: (mining apprenticeships, I mean, not girls refusing to go out with men who weren't miners.)  A number of people I met at the mines had started an apprenticeship program at fifteen.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

It's actually probably a great thing for those boys with a "fuck school" attitude.  Better than the streets/crime anyway.

Barrister

It is still quite possible in Alberta to go out with little formal education and start working on the oil rigs and make good money.

But not at 15 years old... that part just boggles my mind.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

The guy with the white mask/hood in the classroom concerns me a bit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Richard Hakluyt

After being "asked to leave" by boarding school I got a job at one of the colleries in my local town. Some time later my best friend started as an undergraduate at Durham university. I started going over there at weekends during term time. The advert was correct, I was a hit with the girls  :cool:

Happy times, physical work during the week and the university at weekends  :cool:

Richard Hakluyt

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on December 14, 2018, 02:11:59 PM
After being "asked to leave" by boarding school I got a job at one of the colleries in my local town. Some time later my best friend started as an undergraduate at Durham university. I started going over there at weekends during term time. The advert was correct, I was a hit with the girls  :cool:

Happy times, physical work during the week and the university at weekends  :cool:

That's why the ad made me think of you. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Richard Hakluyt

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Richard Hakluyt

Oh there is no story as such; just standard late teen stuff involving parties and girls. I was unfortunate in that I didn't go to boarding school till i was 15 (when it became a necessity due to my father's posting), so I was used to my freedom by then. While I was at the mine I studied and passed the necessary A-levels (public exams at 18) to get on and went back to the old school for a reference for university. My former nemesis, the senior housemaster, was very decent about it and gave me an excellent reference...which did make me feel a bit guilty for being such a pain in the ass  :lol:

Syt

Said it before, will say it again - I love me some nice winter mood images.

—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Throwback! The Coke vending machine at Brussels airport in 2008, when we had our Languish meet.

—Stephen Jay Gould