News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2015 Women's World Cup Thread

Started by Barrister, June 06, 2015, 09:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Curious how many people around the world pay attention to this one.

I was pleasantly surprised at how huge the crowd was for today's opening game (in Edmonton) for Canada v China.  52,000 or so.  And Canada managed a late goal to win 1-0.   :cool:

So - anyone else watching?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

sbr

Is Alex Morgan playing?

I won't be watching either way, but I suppose there is a minuscule chance I would watch if she was.

I suppose I would possibly watch when the US women play in and win the final game. #ihopeabbywambachpissescanadaoffagain

Admiral Yi

Syt

I hear they're playing on artificial turf? :bleeding:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on June 06, 2015, 11:31:53 PM
I hear they're playing on artificial turf? :bleeding:

Yes - and what of it?

If they can play football on turf, they can play soccer on turf.

Syt

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/womens-world-cup-will-be-played-on-lush-green-artificial-turf/2015/06/05/a786a0ac-0b8d-11e5-951e-8e15090d64ae_story.html

QuoteNumerous studies have explored the impact of artificial turf on the game and the body. The conclusion: In fear of injury, players are less likely to use slide tackles; the stress on joints increases; skin abrasions are more pronounced; additional recovery time is needed between matches; and with the ball moving quicker, a pinball effect threatens to destroy the rhythm of the game.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on June 06, 2015, 11:35:28 PM
Yes - and what of it?

Not sure I follow your logic counselor.  In soccer the ball is in contact with the ground most of the time.  The physics of the ball and surface interacting are going to have a big impact on play.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2015, 11:59:04 PM
Yes - and what of it?

Not sure I follow your logic counselor.  In soccer the ball is in contact with the ground most of the time.  The physics of the ball and surface interacting are going to have a big impact on play.

The complaints about turf though aren't based on the interaction between the ball and the surface - it's between the players and the surface.

North American football has much greater interaction between the players and the surface than does soccer.

And of course, other than Moncton, all the stadiums for the WWC are all CFL stadiums.

Drakken

Did Tancredi play against China today? I watched part of the second half but she seemed to be nowhere around.  :(

PRC

Admiral Yi

Zanza

Yes - and what of it?

Football players typically have their legs covered and they typically don't do sliding tackles that are very common in soccer. Much less injury prone.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Barrister on June 07, 2015, 12:02:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2015, 11:59:04 PM
Yes - and what of it?

The complaints about turf though aren't based on the interaction between the ball and the surface - it's between the players and the surface.

North American football has much greater interaction between the players and the surface than does soccer.

And of course, other than Moncton, all the stadiums for the WWC are all CFL stadiums.

Playing soccer on turf sucks.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Liep

Also, generally football players don't wear protective equipment like they do in North American football.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Saw the replay of Canada - China.

Not at all impressed by China. Canada seem to have some players with good technique but most of their players were really insecure, perhaps it's just opening game jitters. Generally a poorly played game.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk