David Frum: What If the Allies Had Lost World War One?

Started by jimmy olsen, June 03, 2015, 10:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Valmy on June 04, 2015, 09:07:15 AM
Quote from: Queequeg on June 04, 2015, 09:04:47 AM
I am infinitely fascinated by and love Imperial Germany

Why? It is just a modern state hamstrung by archaic nonsense.
Uh, basically Germany and Russia around this time produced almost of a plurality of my favorite artists and thinkers from any time, ever, and I'm actually fascinated by the Imperial German government because of the coexistence of "modern state" w "archaic nonsense."
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2015, 01:47:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2015, 12:52:41 AM
Oh, it's The Atlantic.
Since when does The Atlantic have bad reputation here?

Yes, why pay attention to what happens on the board? :rolleyes: 10 years ago Yi's splooging over The Atlantic made me take out a subscription. I ended up with an article by Bernard-Henri Lévy that sucked ass. "What the hell am I reading?". I concluded that unlike my favorite mag The Economist The Atlantic is a crapshoot with no internal quality assurance. "May contain nuggets." I don't think The Atlantic doesn't contain good stuff, but I certainly think that The Atlantic isn't in itself proof of quality. I bear no ill will towards Yi over this and my occasional comments on The Atlantic are mostly for "fun".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Queequeg on June 04, 2015, 09:11:39 AM
Uh, basically Germany and Russia around this time produced almost of a plurality of my favorite artists and thinkers from any time, ever, and I'm actually fascinated by the Imperial German government because of the coexistence of "modern state" w "archaic nonsense."

The fascination part I get. The love part is odd. But maybe I don't know what you get by love. I mean I have a fascination with revolutionary France but I don't want to live there or wish it was still around.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Tim regards any society that does not allow women to vote to be a slave society.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Also it's a TRUE FACT that Great Britain in 1914 did not allow Puerto Rico to become a state.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

I think that's Frum's statement, not Timorican's.  Didn't the UK have a property requirement in 1914?

Norgy

Imperial Germany was a strange concoction. Not only was it the most modern country in the world and had industry that put everyone else's to shame, but it also had the Reichstag. Which had no power.

I think imperial Germany eventually would have reformed and that it was hamstrung by Wilhelm II. By all accounts, he seems like the archetype of a bumbling buffoon.

derspiess

Tim and Frum are about on the same level.  Though that's probably an insult to Tim.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 04, 2015, 11:25:30 AM
I think that's Frum's statement, not Timorican's.  Didn't the UK have a property requirement in 1914?

Yeah, that's from Frum.  If you want to compare them to modern-day democracies with universal suffrage, then I suppose you could define them away from being a democracy, but...then what would you define them as?  A halfway-house democracy?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2015, 09:11:51 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 04, 2015, 01:47:01 AM
Quote from: The Brain on June 04, 2015, 12:52:41 AM
Oh, it's The Atlantic.
Since when does The Atlantic have bad reputation here?

Yes, why pay attention to what happens on the board? :rolleyes: 10 years ago Yi's splooging over The Atlantic made me take out a subscription. I ended up with an article by Bernard-Henri Lévy that sucked ass. "What the hell am I reading?". I concluded that unlike my favorite mag The Economist The Atlantic is a crapshoot with no internal quality assurance. "May contain nuggets." I don't think The Atlantic doesn't contain good stuff, but I certainly think that The Atlantic isn't in itself proof of quality. I bear no ill will towards Yi over this and my occasional comments on The Atlantic are mostly for "fun".

BHL is the problem I think though if the Atlantic accepts his articles then it's pretty telling as well. BHL has got connections though.

Valmy

It's complicated.

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on June 04, 2015, 11:33:33 AM

Yeah, that's from Frum.  If you want to compare them to modern-day democracies with universal suffrage, then I suppose you could define them away from being a democracy, but...then what would you define them as?  A halfway-house democracy?

I think the point he is making is that they weren't by any means perfect examples of democracy, yet they were still a damn site better than the alternative.

I don't really understand the need to pick out singular comments a writer makes and tear them apart outside the context he is making the comment in. Frum's particular point here is perfectly valid. None of these European powers were particularly good democracies, even by the standards of the US at that time, so the idea that the US fought to protect "democracy" in the form of France and the UK is a little bit thin. Russia was not a democracy at all, and both France and the UK compared to the US were not great.

He is saying that the US fought to protect the idea of democracy, moreso than the particular not so democratic states in the Entente. There is much to debate with THAT point, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: derspiess on June 04, 2015, 11:31:00 AM
Tim and Frum are about on the same level.  Though that's probably an insult to Tim.

:huh:

I don't always agree with him, but I always like David Frum.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.