Fatherhood Has Its Rewards, Like That $1,700 Stroller

Started by Syt, June 03, 2015, 05:10:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/05/fashion/mens-style/the-baby-stroller-i-always-dreamed-of.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Sorry, Malthus, 1,000 buckaroos are not gonna cut it anymore. :(

QuoteFatherhood Has Its Rewards, Like That $1,700 Stroller

Guys, it turns out, like to be behind the wheel, whether it is a motorcycle or car. Or pram.

Way before I was ready to be a dad, I obsessed over strollers the same way I obsessed about 1970s-era cafe racer motorbikes: I knew about form factors, wheel widths, safety features and even aftermarket add-ons.

The one difference is that baby strollers are not something you brag about at a bar with your buddies. My obsession was something that only my wife knew about, and appropriately made fun of me for.

Then, a few weeks ago, we were at brunch with several couples (some with babies) and the subject of strollers came up. At first, I kept quiet, but the men at the table began voicing very strong and considered opinions about their favorites.

"I'm totally into the Uppababy Vista," one dad in his 40s said matter-of-factly, noting that the one he owned cost $750. Another man said he loved the Baby Jogger City Mini because it is light, agile with little wheels and costs around $400. He added that his "dream" stroller was the Stokke Xplory, which can cost more than $1,700, if you include the carry-cot.

I chimed in proudly: The best stroller in the world, I said, is the Bugaboo, and this was after a decade of research, long before I even wanted a baby.

The Bugaboo, I noted, costs $1,100 (though you can find deals online for $900) and has won dozens of accolades, including the Red Dot Design Award, and profiles in Time magazine and Bloomberg Businessweek. It's also great for off-terrain exploring and hiking, not that I'll be doing either of that with our baby.

Our affection for strollers is so great that some of the men had secretly test-driven baby strollers in their spare time, wheeling an empty pushchair around to check its brakes, wheel traction and ease of use. We are not alone, judging from the photos on stroller manufacturers' websites, which often feature men pushing their babies through parks and jogging paths.

After that brunch, I had a huge grin across my face, as my wife and I walked back to our car. "See, I'm not the only one," I said. "Lots of men love strollers."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Pedrito

The Stokke stroller is, as a matter of fact, an extraordinary stroller; its driveability is excellent, manoeuvers are very simple and hassle-free, and it's very pliable. it's better than any other stroller I've tried, and my wife (and the children) loved it :sleep:

Bugaboos, OTOH, although not as good as the Stokke, can be favoured by those who have problems of space, because they're smaller and lighter than the Xplory. Slight downside, though, it sometimes can look like a pushchair, while the Stokke's peculiar design puts it in a category on its own.

Both excellent strollers, IMO.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

derspiess

My wife wanted a Stokke stroller and I almost let her talk me into it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Legbiter

For rugged off-road and all-weather capability you can't beat a Swedish Emmaljunga stroller.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Barrister

We bought whatever was cheap at Walmart.  And it's lasted through three kids.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

frunk

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2015, 09:33:55 AM
We bought whatever was cheap at Walmart.  And it's lasted through three kids.

We didn't quite go cheapest, but got a reasonably light one that comboed with a carseat from Target.  It's been great.  I don't think it cost more than ~$150.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

Quote from: Legbiter on June 03, 2015, 09:32:55 AM
For rugged off-road and all-weather capability you can't beat a Swedish Emmaljunga stroller.

In retrospect I would have liked to have a stroller that would do well on hiking trails.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2015, 09:36:30 AM
What, if anything, do you splurge on Beeb?

Childcare costs and trying to pay down debt. :(  But only 11 years left on the mortgage... :shifty:

I just don't see the point in paying an extravagant amount for a baby stroller.  I mean ours is really only used to trips to shopping malls or the local play park, where everything is nicely paved.  The one time we did something exotic and needed strollers (going to Brazil) we found it was easiest just to buy two $10 umbrella strollers (again from Walmart) to take with us.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Norgy

I wasn't surprised when I found that the Stokke strollers are made in Norway. And that they are crazy expensive. The more likely scenario is that they are not actually made here, but rather in a factory in Indonesia where the employ children and then someone earning 100 000 Euros a year slaps a sticker on it.

A local company here makes strollers for elderly people. They are prize-winningly great, apparently. And expensive like they had a gilded frame.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2015, 05:10:56 AM
After that brunch, I had a huge grin across my face, as my wife and I walked back to our car. "See, I'm not the only one," I said. "Lots of men love strollers."
[/quote]

Apparently lots of men love My Little Pony as well.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?