New X-COM game coming . . . and it's turn based strategy!

Started by Syt, January 05, 2012, 11:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Bought it, seems great so far.

Played that mission on classic Raz, had to reload it more than half a dozen times before successfully completing it. Killed 12 thin men and a Sectoid, lost two men and had a third gravely wounded.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

ulmont

Quote from: Razgovory on November 15, 2013, 09:52:28 PM
I'm getting my ass handed to me on Classic difficulty.  I went to the first Exalt Mission which occured during the second month.  I only have 4 in a squad and no advanced weaponry.  I took down 9 thin men before I was They killed the VIP.  That's not exactly fair.

For Exalt missions, the key is to remember that whenever you activate a transmitter you get a free turn after that (look at the Exalt guys, they'll have a status that's something like "disabled" and have to spend a turn reloading).

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 31, 2013, 12:38:49 AM
Bought it, seems great so far.

Played that mission on classic Raz, had to reload it more than half a dozen times before successfully completing it. Killed 12 thin men and a Sectoid, lost two men and had a third gravely wounded.

played a couple of missions. Nothing to blow the skirt up about....meh. So so game so far.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Beta 15 for Long War is available for PC
If you've got 5 hours (!) to kill and love detailed spoilers about the new features follow this Impossible (level) playthrough

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MLLJHLSG6E&feature=youtu.be

Some vanilla perks are actually back

http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/?
Link to the mod

DGuller

Long War strikes me as a classic mod overkill.  More, more, more of everything is bad game design.

Duque de Bragança

I like the dynamic aspect of the mod, closer to the original XCOM (Air War is also closer as in really challenging) and the challenging aspect of any playthrough till the very end.
Of course, it's not for everyone, pretty challenging and time-consuming, and that's not how this new XCOM should be approached at first.
Bonus points for making it available to Macs and Linux.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on March 03, 2015, 05:03:04 PM
Long War strikes me as a classic mod overkill.  More, more, more of everything is bad game design.

It does appear that way from the outside, yes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Warspite

I've been playing Long War. Some additions are very good. But yeah, it feels like it's be put together by people who don't know how to edit.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Tonitrus

XCOM 2 officially announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_-2wIJIzQ

Basic premise: Aliens won, XCOM is the resistance (running around on a airborne carrier as the "base")

Also: Supposedly random tactical maps.  Snake(wo)men return! 

Caliga

The DLC is on sale today.  Prolly gonna pick Enemy Within up.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Warspite

Quote from: Tonitrus on June 01, 2015, 08:35:26 PM
XCOM 2 officially announced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_-2wIJIzQ

Basic premise: Aliens won, XCOM is the resistance (running around on a airborne carrier as the "base")

Also: Supposedly random tactical maps.  Snake(wo)men return!

For the aliens to defeat the insurgents, they will need to harvest hearts and minds.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Grey Fox

I hope this one will have controller support too, I really liked XCOM's with a 360 controller.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 02, 2015, 04:05:55 PM
I hope this one will have controller support too, I really liked XCOM's with a 360 controller.

While it may not kill that idea, I should also note that XCOM 2 is slated to be PC only.