Police could seize illegal workers' wages under Tory plans

Started by jimmy olsen, May 21, 2015, 01:39:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: derspiess on May 21, 2015, 02:30:13 PM
Cool.
Really? Would you support similar legislation in the United States?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

celedhring

Quote from: Barrister on May 21, 2015, 02:44:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on May 21, 2015, 02:41:08 PM
Man so no special sort of arrangement for citizens of Commonwealth countries? Huh. Where is the love for the colonials?

As part of joining the EC they had to get rid of any colonial preferences.

Are you sure? We do keep the preferences for ours.

Iormlund

Quote from: celedhring on May 21, 2015, 06:39:58 PM
Man so no special sort of arrangement for citizens of Commonwealth countries? Huh. Where is the love for the colonials?

Are you sure? We do keep the preferences for ours.

Yep. Former subjects of the Crown such as Latinamericans and Sephardi Jews have much easier access to citizenship.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on May 22, 2015, 12:23:41 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2015, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2015, 04:22:42 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 21, 2015, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2015, 01:52:20 PM
In Sweden we'd be thrilled if foreigners worked.

I thought they worked for the social-democrats as voters?  :unsure:

No foreigners are weak in voting.

Local or national elections?

National elections.

I thought it would be the opposite but I'll take your word for it. Depends on the  naturalisation laws as well.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Warspite on May 21, 2015, 02:57:06 AM
Just one episode of the lunacy of the British immigration system.

This was not on my radar screen until I read about Cameron's speech in today's paper.  At first I thought it was some kind of joke - then I read the actual speech and no it's really what he said.  A country that is near full employment but is suffering from productivity shortfalls actually sets as a policy goal to LOWER the amount of skilled immigrants ?!  Artificially limiting the time professions can be classified as having skills shortage ?!  Attacking sectors for being "over-reliant" on skilled immigrants ?!  Seeking to shut down skilled immigrants from outside the EU -- i,e. telling a giant FU to all those Indian STEM grads ?!

WTF is a country of 64 million people doing fretting about a net migration rate of 300K (less than 1/2 a percent), and who in his right mind would respond to such a fake "problem" by cracking down and harassing HIGHLY SKILLED IMMIGRANTS?

:huh:

Is this some English self-deprecation thing, where having won an unexpectedly strong electoral triumph, Cameron feels the need to humble himself by making the single most idiotic speech by a first world leader in the last decade (not named George Bush)?

As an American all I can say is great - we'll take 'em.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

As the Spanish posters said above, that's just not true. Not having a common immigration policy in the EU is one of the current issues we have with those boats in the Med.
Each country regulates it however it wants. Britain could still have Imperial preference in immigration.
Germany immediately gives citizenship to people whose ancestors were deprived of their German citizenship by the Nazis for example. You don't even have to ever set foot in Germany for that.

garbon

I believe Britain still does give some lead to citizens in Commonwealth nations who had a grandparent who was a British citizen.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2015, 02:37:10 AM
I believe Britain still does give some lead to citizens in Commonwealth nations who had a grandparent who was a British citizen.
I have a British grandparent!  That's discriminatory!    :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josquius

QuoteAs part of joining the EC they had to get rid of any colonial preferences.
That seems unusual.
Don't latin Americans still get special treatment in Iberia?

Quote from: The Brain on May 21, 2015, 01:52:20 PM
In Sweden we'd be thrilled if foreigners worked.
They would be thrilled if you would employ them.
██████
██████
██████

Norgy

Europe and immigration seem to cause a chemical reaction that leads to brownshirts/blackshirts.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tyr on May 23, 2015, 05:46:10 AM
QuoteAs part of joining the EC they had to get rid of any colonial preferences.
That seems unusual.
Don't latin Americans still get special treatment in Iberia?

Brazilians got the treaty of Porto Seguro which gaves them an almost-Portuguese citizen status in Portugal, but that does not include the free travel rights in the EEA.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: garbon on May 23, 2015, 02:37:10 AM

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?