News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mexico Holiday AAR

Started by Malthus, March 20, 2015, 11:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on April 14, 2015, 01:04:00 PM

By the way, that picture in the mexican religious store, is that an alien?

I have no idea what that ... thing  ... is. Googling suggest that it may simply be a dried fish, though why they are selling it remains a mystery.  :lol:

That whole place was seriously wierd.
Can't you read? It's the Devil!  :mad:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 14, 2015, 06:50:35 PM
Can't you read? It's the Devil!  :mad:

No, it's clearly a devil-shaped Pez dispenser.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Malthus

Seiously though - I was warned off taking photos there.  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

On a follow-up note: I recently bought a beautiful coffee-table-type book on the Bonampak murals (pictured above). I was hoping to learn more about them.

The problem: not much is actually known. Even though they can now read the hieroglyphic incriptions, they aren't very helpful. Basically, they provide a long-count date and a description of the various rituals associated with the dedication of the monument itself - the author described it as "Mayan boilerplate".  :lol:

It is sort of like as if aliens had found a complex movie, but the only written description of what the movie was about, was the copyright notice.

Edit: also included reconstructions of some of the murals that were too dark or blurred to see, many of extreme wierdness - WTF is this all about?  :cthulu: http://benedante.blogspot.ca/2010/03/bonampak.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius