News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Forrest's legacy in the postwar South

Started by Lettow77, May 17, 2015, 07:40:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Lettow77

The source seems a little dubious, being a spoken informal account in 1933, but do you have any particular reason for saying it's a fraud?

Edit: Nevermind, did a bit of digging myself and it is indeed very dubious
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

grumbler

Quote from: Lettow77 on May 17, 2015, 03:15:36 PM
The source seems a little dubious, being a spoken informal account in 1933, but do you have any particular reason for saying it's a fraud?

Yes.  The publisher conceded years later that it was a fraud, and the author told his friends that he had been found out.

Not that much of what Rauschning wrote was impossible to imagine Hitler saying, and not that I don't support the idea of some charity-publishing of a work of an anti-Nazi who had to flee Germany, but the idea that Rauschning met Hitler hundreds of times and learned his innermost secrets from his own lips (and then wrote it down verbatim hours later) isn't plausible. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!