John McCain to search suspected North Korean arms ship

Started by jimmy olsen, June 20, 2009, 05:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on June 21, 2009, 11:46:49 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 21, 2009, 11:40:21 PM
I guess the Chinese discovered the achilles heel in our sonar defenses.  Raming them with submarines.
"Defenses?"  What was the sonar "defending" against?  Ramming?  It isn't nearly maneuverable enough to stop a ramming attempt.

Having said that, this was clearly an accident.  No sub skipper has the 'nads to deliberately risk getting tangled in a tow cable and achieving that magic Pk of -1.

Submarines, clearly.  That's why the Chinese Sub had to ram it.  It was the only way to be sure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: Razgovory on June 22, 2009, 09:44:34 AM
Submarines, clearly.  That's why the Chinese Sub had to ram it.  It was the only way to be sure.
No submarine currently poses any threat to any US ship, and so US ships don't defend themselves against submarines any more than submarines defend themselves against US ships.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on June 22, 2009, 12:06:26 AM
Or the McCain, knowing it couldn't dump torpedos on the sub deliberately tried to tangle the sub in a towed array. I presume it's cheaper to replace than a sub propeller?
I don't think the McCain's CO would consider deliberately sinking an enemy submarine like that (and entangling the prop might do such a thing, as the submarine might well need propulsion to surface, depending on the conditions under which it was operating).

A towed array cable wouldn't actually damage the propeller, though.  What it would do was smash and then freeze up the shaft bearings as the prop was entangled and stopped, and all that propulsion power is translated into lateral movement of the shaft.  Shaft bearings are not hard to replace (they are replaced fairly frequently, in fact).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!