News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should this guy lose his job

Started by Josephus, May 12, 2015, 04:23:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 09:30:51 AM
The fact that it is a "meme" is completely irrelevant.  All that a meme is is copying what others have done.  A meme can be positive, neutral, or negative.

They should have tried that defense at Nurenburg.  :P

Martinus

If there is one thing Languish does *not* need more, it's Canadians.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2015, 10:21:33 AM

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2015, 09:35:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 09:26:03 AM

This guy wasn't tracked down by anyone - the company identified who he was and that he would be let go.

If this is the case, though, it may work against them if he seeks notice. CC and I had a discussion upthread about just cause for causing reputational damage - may be harder to argue if it was the company itself that identifed him.

I was thinking that too.....if Hydro never mentioned anything, no one would have known where he works
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

It ain't easy being #1, we know.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

If there is one thing Languish does *not* need more, it's Canadians lawyers
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on May 15, 2015, 10:34:14 AM
Quote from: Malthus on May 15, 2015, 09:35:48 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 09:26:03 AM

This guy wasn't tracked down by anyone - the company identified who he was and that he would be let go.

If this is the case, though, it may work against them if he seeks notice. CC and I had a discussion upthread about just cause for causing reputational damage - may be harder to argue if it was the company itself that identifed him.

I was thinking that too.....if Hydro never mentioned anything, no one would have known where he works

I think his firing has less to do with what the general public might think and a lot more to do with his co-workers who would be able to identify him.  I agree with you and Malthus that the public only found out about where he worked because he was fired.   We also don't know whether he was fired for cause.  The fact that there has been no law suit filed makes me think severance was paid or at least that the negotiations are ongoing.  But whatever the dealings between them, he sure gave his employer a good reason to want to fire him even if they didn't have cause to terminate. The employer likely made the judgment that they did not want someone like that in their work place. 

Barrister

Related incident in Calgary sees the jackass charged with stunting (he was in a truck when he yelled the offending phrase):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/fhritp-calgary-police-charge-man-with-stunting-for-shouting-vulgar-phrase-1.3074905

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 15, 2015, 09:36:57 AM
Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2015, 09:30:51 AM
The fact that it is a "meme" is completely irrelevant.  All that a meme is is copying what others have done.  A meme can be positive, neutral, or negative.

They should have tried that defense at Nurenburg.  :P

:lol:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Syt on May 15, 2015, 10:42:42 AM

How about we split the difference and agree that one among BB, Malthus and CC needs to be purged.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 15, 2015, 01:45:22 PM

How about we split the difference and agree that one among BB, Malthus and CC needs to be purged.  :hmm:

This. :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on May 15, 2015, 12:18:29 AM
Quote from: saskganesh on May 14, 2015, 07:08:38 PM
Let's hear more from the gay lawyer from Poland, who is afraid to to reveal his own sexuality, complaining about "vindictive cunts" in Canada, because some people -imagine!- are really offended by sexism and public harrassment.

Yeah, that would be the guy I would want representing me in a  grievance.

I don't think you could afford me. :console:

That's the point.  I don't think anyone could afford to have a lawyer like you to represent them.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Barrister

Clearly Malthus, CC and myself are the very epitomy of languish, it's very soul.  You'd never survive without the Canadian Lawyers Cabal.

lustindarkness

We can split them, all three of them, right down the middle, top to bottom. And then purge one of the halves.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom