And we're back!

Main Menu

NASA tests speed of light travel?

Started by KRonn, April 30, 2015, 01:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Beam me up! 

No scribes allowed.    :cool:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/nasa-might-have-successfully-tested-a-warp-drive-could-carry-people-at-speeds-as-fast-as-light-10215544.html

Nasa may have successfully tested a form of space flight that could carry people to the moon in a few short hours — and eventually let us fly at speeds approaching that of light.

The agency has built an electromagnetic (EM) drive, using technology that shouldn't be possible in current understanding of physics, according to users on forum NASASpaceFlight.com. Some of those discussing the plan claim to be Nasa engineers that are currently working on the plan — and have been verified as such, according to Cnet.

While the technology behind EM drives has been demonstrated before, the results have been disputed by some who don't believe that it could work. But a controlled demonstration in conditions like those in space could be enough to begin the work to prove that the project could be used in practice.

Though the technology has been discussed in great length and detail on the forum and elsewhere, it is yet to undergo any peer review and the results of the recent Nasa experiments have not been released publicly.

The device works by propelling objects through space by using magnets to create microwaves, which are then sent through a device to create thrust. If it works, it could overcome the need to carry fuel for propulsion — a huge problem that limits the speed and distance that those journeying in space can travel.

To work, the spacecraft that carried it would need to carry a nuclear power plant to create the energy required to travel through space.

Nasa's official site says that: "There are many 'absurd' theories that have become reality over the years of scientific research.". "But for the near future, warp drive remains a dream," it writes in a post updated last month.

According to the forum users, the technology has been tested at the Johnson Space Center. In 2014, Nasa verified that the claims of Roger Shawyer, who invented the technology, did seem to be true. But those tests took place using low power and not in the kinds of space-like environment that the new testing seems to have been done in.

Speaking to Cnet, one of the scientists involved in the project said that it was looking to release Nasa from the problems of having to build and carry rockets.

"My work at Eagleworks (the lab at JSC where the EM drive is being tested) is just a continuation of my work tackling the fundamental problem that has been hindering manned spaceflight from the termination of the Apollo moon program," said Paul March. "That being the availability of a robust and cost-effective power and propulsion technology that can break us loose from the shackles of the rocket equation."

Syt

Quote from: KRonn on April 30, 2015, 01:39:20 PMusing technology that shouldn't be possible in current understanding of physics

What could possibly go wrong?

:P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

How difficult could it possibly be?  They do it on TV and movies all the time! 

Siege

Will it be called the Shawyer Drive?

Regardless, it is still a sublight drive. So my theory that alien civilizations become immortals before achieving hyperdrive tech, thus eliminating the need for colonies, still viable.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DontSayBanana

NASA's nowhere near "testing speed of light travel" at this point.

What happened was they noticed light hitting the testing equipment at different times.  The environment was controlled, but there's still a possibility that it was just atmospheric refraction, like the "ripple" effect you see over roads in the middle distance on a hot day.  They're going to test again soon with a vacuum to rule that possibility out- IF it stands, what they'll know is that... something... in the EM drive mechanism dilates space and creates a localized (for want of a better term than Star Trek's) warp field bubble.

A little reddit birdie clued me in to this as it was happening (as the relevant posts were appearing on the NASA spaceflight forums) several days ago, so surprised that 1) it's taken this long to show up here, and that 2) Timmy got scooped on it.
Experience bij!

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Almost certainly some kind of error in the setup of the instruments measuring the experiment.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

If such a thing is possible, it could wipe out all life on earth.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 30, 2015, 08:17:47 PM
70 day trip to Mars, 9 month trip to Saturn, 130 year trip to Alpha Centauri.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/

That's nothing. They should talk to Swedish Railways.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on April 30, 2015, 03:01:17 PM

Regardless, it is still a sublight drive. So my theory that alien civilizations become immortals before achieving hyperdrive tech, thus eliminating the need for colonies, still viable.

Wouldnt people becoming immortal mean we need more colonies? On account of there being too many people...

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on May 01, 2015, 02:57:27 AM

Wouldnt people becoming immortal mean we need more colonies? On account of there being too many people...

Singularity immortals. Flesh is but a memory.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

He has no idea what he's talking about.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: The Brain on May 01, 2015, 03:02:05 AM

Singularity immortals. Flesh is but a memory.
Sounds horrid. Sides, the Sun is gonna go eventually, as will the Earth.  Need to leave the Solar System.  Need to leave the Galaxy. 
PDH!

Siege

Immortals don't have children, in the sense that if you decide to wait 10,000 years to have your first and only child it would not be statistically relevant.

Reproduction is an imperative for people doomed to die. Not so for immortals.
Looking at human history you can tell the longer the lifespan the longer people wait to have children.
Immortals have not need to pass their genes on, and don't see reproduction as an small measure of immortality.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"