News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

First Genocide of the 20th Century?

Started by Queequeg, April 27, 2015, 08:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Got into an argument with this on FB, and I couldn't really decide.  

Herero and Namaqua Genocide
10 (50%)
Armenian Genocide
5 (25%)
Something Soviet Pre-War
0 (0%)
Other Interwar
0 (0%)
Nazi Germany's half-dozen simultaneous genocides
0 (0%)
Other
1 (5%)
Jaron
4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 19

alfred russel

Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2015, 09:34:50 PM
Genocide or Ethnocide is a more recent phenomena.  It describes intent to destroy not only the people, but a culture they embody.  Previous wars, conquests and invasions saw not the extinction of culture, but the mixing and fusion of cultures. 

Germany trying to eradicate European Jewry is Genocide.  The Bell-Beaker people conquering previous societies over time and adopting their technologies and rituals when they could is not Genocide.  Given my definition (your mileage may vary), the German colonial attacks were Genocide.

n.b. my statements might be framed in such a way as to elicit discussion...

The Third Punic War seemed to involve a good faith effort on the part of the Romans to commit genocide against the Carthaginians. At the very least, there is evidence that leading Romans had genocidal intent.

It should be noted that if success is a necessary criteria for genocide, then the German actions against the Jews should not qualify. In fact, the Jews today have a state of their own, and are seemingly more numerous and powerful than before the Nazi regime took power. On the other hand, Carthage was destroyed, its language died out, and the history of it is rather sparse because of the near absence of sources surviving from its point of view.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

What about the genocide of Boers by the British in South Africa?

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on April 28, 2015, 12:08:41 AM
Quote from: PDH on April 27, 2015, 09:34:50 PM
Genocide or Ethnocide is a more recent phenomena.  It describes intent to destroy not only the people, but a culture they embody.  Previous wars, conquests and invasions saw not the extinction of culture, but the mixing and fusion of cultures. 

Germany trying to eradicate European Jewry is Genocide.  The Bell-Beaker people conquering previous societies over time and adopting their technologies and rituals when they could is not Genocide.  Given my definition (your mileage may vary), the German colonial attacks were Genocide.

n.b. my statements might be framed in such a way as to elicit discussion...

The Third Punic War seemed to involve a good faith effort on the part of the Romans to commit genocide against the Carthaginians. At the very least, there is evidence that leading Romans had genocidal intent.

It should be noted that if success is a necessary criteria for genocide, then the German actions against the Jews should not qualify. In fact, the Jews today have a state of their own, and are seemingly more numerous and powerful than before the Nazi regime took power. On the other hand, Carthage was destroyed, its language died out, and the history of it is rather sparse because of the near absence of sources surviving from its point of view.

If success is a necessary criteria, I would say 90% of all cases we consider genocide would not qualify.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2015, 11:59:55 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 11:54:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2015, 11:53:38 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 09:35:50 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 27, 2015, 09:27:06 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 27, 2015, 08:43:44 PM
I think genocide is something that has existed for a long time. We just used to call it War.

It was probably really common in the, I don't know, Stone Age or something.  I don't think a tribe expanded by moving into unoccupied land.  They probably killed everybody to move in.
I don't think that the land was crowded enough to support endemic warfare until agricultural societies began to emerge.

Well you would be wrong.  The Inuit wiped out the Dorset culture.  It's thought that interbreeding was minimal.  Just destruction of one culture by another.
That event occured after the emergence of agricultural societies.

Neither culture was agricultural, or even pastoral.  They were strictly hunter-gather.
They didn't live in a vcauum, they were influenced by the agricultural societies to the south.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The people to the south tended to be hunter gatherers as well.  They probably had minimal contact with other peoples anyway.  The Dorset for instance, lacked knowledge of bows.  I should note, that fairly large settlements have been uncovered predating agricultural towns of around 10,000 people in the middle East seemed to have exited prior to agriculture.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2015, 08:23:00 PM
This is a really pointless question.  What exactly changes if we call something a genocide or not?

It is a bit weird, this obsession with labels over content. Like the whole Pluto thing.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on April 28, 2015, 01:03:11 AM
This is a really pointless question.  What exactly changes if we call something a genocide or not?

It is a bit weird, this obsession with labels over content. Like the whole Pluto thing.
Pluto is a planet! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2015, 12:25:07 AM

Does genocide mean 'treated really mean'? Because the British were not slaughtering the Boers, they were imprisoning them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2015, 12:26:09 AM
If success is a necessary criteria, I would say 90% of all cases we consider genocide would not qualify.

Yep. There has to be an intent to destroy the culture or peoples and you need to have started to carry that out. This is distinct from trying to beat the crap out of them until they surrender in a war. The end goal needs to be their destruction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

At least in the Case of the Armenian genocide, if Turkey admitted it was a genocide such an admission would likely result in large restitution claims and perhaps territorial concessions.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 28, 2015, 12:25:07 AM
Concentration camps doesn't mean genocide.

Herero and Namaqualand.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 27, 2015, 08:21:24 PM
Shouldn't it be the Congo Free State?
In terms of scale certainly.
Though in terms of motivation...that was nothing personal, just capitalism. I think genocide needs the factor of an active desire to destroy a people (or a significant chunk of them).
██████
██████
██████

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Agree that the Herero and Namaqua was the first genocide of the Twentieth Century.

Also agree that this cutoff is arbitrary and there were plenty of pre-1900 genocides to go around.