News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Top 50 strategy games OF ALL TIME

Started by Syt, April 27, 2015, 03:10:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Startopia pia was fun when I had a tooth pulled and I was on some awesome painkillers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on April 28, 2015, 08:20:28 AM
A little depressing that a lot of these games are old.  Are there no great new strategy games?

No.

I haven't bought a new strategy game since Rome, and the last non-Paradox strategy game I got was, gee, I don't know, HoMMV?  Unless you count sports games as strategy games, which the list apparently does, but that's retarded.

DGuller

I think Civ 5 is a massively underrated game.  With the latest expansion packs, it's always good for a nailbiter, if you pick the right difficulty level.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: DGuller on April 27, 2015, 03:28:30 PM
Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2015, 06:49:47 AM
I'm really surprised that Jagged Alliance II made the top ten.  Pleased, but surprised.  It was much more of a niche game, I thought.  I still play it today, when i get the itch.
I wish they had a version of the 1.13 patch that wasn't about 517 different models of 9mm handguns, and 35 different types of 9mm ammunition.

I have toyed with the idea of making a variant that seriously tones down the amount of added crap, since I have the same issue with it.

sbr

Quote from: dps on April 27, 2015, 07:50:53 PM
Quote from: sbr on April 27, 2015, 06:58:52 PM
I don't think I ever played MoM but in looking at it I don't see much similarity other than they are both turn based games with a fantasy setting.  From what I can tell MoM is a single player only Civilization clone in a fantasy setting.

A better description would be it's a fantasy version of Master of Orion.

Never played MoO either.  I think I have it in my GoG library but haven't spend any serious time with it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on April 28, 2015, 05:59:08 PM
I don't think I ever played MoM but in looking at it I don't see much similarity other than they are both turn based games with a fantasy setting.  From what I can tell MoM is a single player only Civilization clone in a fantasy setting.

Never played MoO either.  I think I have it in my GoG library but haven't spend any serious time with it.

I wasted way too many hours on that game back in the day.

Tonitrus

Barrister

I bought MoO a few months ago on GoG.  The game still plays great, well worth a play-through.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2015, 10:18:15 PM

I bought MoO a few months ago on GoG.  The game still plays great, well worth a play-through.

Yeah, I agree.  There are some aspects of MoO that I like better than MoOII, but overall I think the second game was better.  And then MoOIII killed the series--'bout the only good thing I would have to say about it was that it came in a really great looking box.

Well, no, that's not true.  There were some great ideas that went into MoOIII, but they were very poorly implemented.  And even if they had been implemented better, they might have been better as ideas than as actual game features.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: dps on April 28, 2015, 11:35:00 PM
Yeah, I agree.  There are some aspects of MoO that I like better than MoOII, but overall I think the second game was better.  And then MoOIII killed the series--'bout the only good thing I would have to say about it was that it came in a really great looking box.

Well, no, that's not true.  There were some great ideas that went into MoOIII, but they were very poorly implemented.  And even if they had been implemented better, they might have been better as ideas than as actual game features.

I agree with all these sentiments.  I actually bought the CD release of MOO and the Windows release of MOO2, then re-bought them both last week from GOG so I could get the DOS version of MOO2.  If anyone only has the 1999 Windows release of MOO2 I would suggest buying the GOG package since the DOS version received semi-official and fan-made updates that the Windows version doesn't have.  Additionally, the Windows version doesn't work on 7+ without shutting down Explorer while you are playing; DOSBox works perfectly.

Norgy

Quote from: grumbler on April 27, 2015, 06:49:47 AM
I'm really surprised that Jagged Alliance II made the top ten.  Pleased, but surprised.  It was much more of a niche game, I thought.  I still play it today, when i get the itch.

I don't quite remember what the latest reiteration is, but it actually wasn't shit.

I'd put CK II and EU IV on the list. Along with Combat Mission: Afrika Corps. Blowing up tankettes was never more fun. There are some games that are really narrow in their scope that I like, like "Dead State".