Should the US raise the federal minimum wage?

Started by jimmy olsen, April 23, 2015, 01:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the US raise the minimum wage?

No, keep it at $7.25
2 (6.7%)
Abolish the minimum wage
10 (33.3%)
Raise it to $10
5 (16.7%)
Raise it to $11.25
0 (0%)
Raise it to $12.50
3 (10%)
Raise it to $13.75
1 (3.3%)
Raise it to $15
5 (16.7%)
Raise it higher than $15
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Valmy

I have heard that the people making minimum wage are largely women so increasing it would make a dramatic impact on the gender wage gap. I suppose this is because so much of the male underclass is in jail.

With that consideration, that alot of these are single women likely with children, raising it to $10 or $15 might be a good idea. I don't know. There are also lots of college and high school kids working MW jobs who don't need it...well actually with college tuition being what it is. I mean outside of considerations about how many MW jobs that would kill.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2015, 09:17:50 AM
Because that was the last time we raised it. If $7.25 2009 dollars was good for 2009 why not 2015? Not much has changed since then.

For starters, it was actually a stepped program from 2007, so $7.25 was "good enough" for 2007, not 2009.  In fact, it wasn't that it was good enough, but that was as much as they could muster the political willpower to implement.

Come to think of it, they couldn't even implement that on its own- the only way they managed the minimum wage hike was to attach it as a rider to the 2007 appropriations bill for Iraq War funding.
Experience bij!

Valmy

Congress couldn't pass a bill saying the sky is blue without doing shit like that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2015, 09:02:31 AM
Well it was $7.25 in 2009 so I guess in today's money that would be about $8. So raise it to that.

Is there no automatic mechanism for adjusting the minimum wage (inflation, average wage increases or similar)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2015, 09:59:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on April 23, 2015, 09:02:31 AM
Well it was $7.25 in 2009 so I guess in today's money that would be about $8. So raise it to that.

Is there no automatic mechanism for adjusting the minimum wage (inflation, average wage increases or similar)?

Nope. And wages are pretty stagnant so most American workers have gotten poorer as the years go by.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2015, 07:52:50 AM
Let the states raise their minimum wages.
that.

It's up to the States to do it, not the Federal.  Then people will move to States they feel better in, if it really makes a difference.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2015, 07:52:50 AM
Let the states raise their minimum wages.

Yeah.

States like New York might be able to handle a $15/hour rate across the board, but this will cause some serious pain in places like Mississippi, Arkansas, etc.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Are States able to set minimum standards for Federally regulated employees?

The Brain

I don't have an opinion on US minimum wage.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2015, 09:45:18 AM
There's a separate minimum wage for tipped positions.  Currently $2.13 I believe.

That's a good first start for change.  Tips shouldn't subsidize restaurants.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 23, 2015, 02:46:49 PM

They don't.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2015, 03:00:40 PM

They don't.

In theory that is true.  But in practice, all too often, the house takes a percentage of the tip pool.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2015, 03:03:34 PM

They don't.

In theory that is true.  But in practice, all too often, the house takes a percentage of the tip pool.

Really? How often is that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on April 23, 2015, 03:49:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 23, 2015, 03:03:34 PM

They don't.

Really? How often is that?

All too often

Martinus

Even when the house does not take a cut, tips do subsidise restaurants as tipping culture allows restaurants to get away with paying their employees less.