News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Is the Obama Honeymoon Over?

Started by Faeelin, June 19, 2009, 09:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

I just quoted the relevant bits.

QuoteThe New York Times/CBS News poll put his job approval rating at 63 percent, an impressive number given the high 9.4 percent unemployment rate.

A Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll said a solid majority of 58 percent believe Obama and Congress should focus on keeping the budget deficit down even if it means delaying a recovery. The deficit is forecast to skyrocket beyond $1 trillion for the 2009 fiscal year.

The Journal/NBC poll said 56 percent oppose giving financial aid to ailing automaker General Motors in exchange for the federal government obtaining a stake in the company.

The Times/CBS poll showed that Obama has his work cut out for him on healthcare. It gave him 44 percent approval in his handling of the issue, with 34 percent disapproving, a sign that many are taking a wait-and-see approach.

http://www.reuters.com/article/ObamaEconomy/idUSTRE55H5P420090618?feedType=RSS&feedName=ObamaEconomy&virtualBrandChannel=10441

So, is Obama going to face an uphill battle from now on? Will he able to get any sort of health care reform passed?

derspiess

I wouldn't worry.  ABC is giving him a free Healthscare infomercial next week in primetime, which should give him the boost he needs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

saskganesh

Quote from: derspiess on June 19, 2009, 09:58:40 AM
I wouldn't worry.  ABC is giving him a free Healthscare infomercial next week in primetime, which should give him the boost he needs.

honeymoon's only end when you wake up sore and realise that you've been fucked over.

we're still at the "trying new positions" stage.  ;)
humans were created in their own image

crazy canuck

The headlines are all about him killing a fly in his office.

Hardly the stuff of hard hitting reporting at the end of a political honeymoon....

KRonn

I think the "Honeymoon" is probably nearing the end, as people have had time to reflect on some of the issues and fixes to those issues, like TARP, economy, government spending. While people still like Pres Obama quite well, and don't necessarily blame him for some of the problems, still some of those policies are facing more and more resistance by voters. And I'd think that will catch up with him at some point, especially as he will own more of the issues/problems as time goes on.

Health care may face a tough uphill battle, depending on how the financing and expense look to be. Already some Dem Congress members are quite worried. But I give Obama credit for trying to take on some of the issues that have been let lie dormant, like energy, national infrastructure, health care. But it also depends on how the fixes or programs go, what the plans are, especially with health care.

Valmy

Health Care simply has to be reformed.  Nobody has ever paid more for less in the history of the world than we do for health care.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 03:03:14 PM
Health Care simply has to be reformed.  Nobody has ever paid more for less in the history of the world than we do for health care.
I think the hundreds of thousands my Dad's insurance spent on me were well spent.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Well, the homo lobby has freaked out on him already. So I'd say the honeymoon is not over yet, but it's the first sign.

He promised a lot of things to a lot of people and obviously he won't be able to deliver.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 19, 2009, 03:06:41 PM
I think the hundreds of thousands my Dad's insurance spent on me were well spent.

Hundreds of thousands of fucking dollars?  What the fuck did they use to cure your cancer?  Gold and platinum ingots?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Lndhand

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 03:07:00 PM
Well, the homo lobby has freaked out on him already. So I'd say the honeymoon is not over yet, but it's the first sign.

He promised a lot of things to a lot of people and obviously he won't be able to deliver.

Apparently the "homo lobby" did not get the memo that many in the black community are vehemently anti-gay.  Seems a bit ironic to me given the past discrimination they have suffered, but it is apparently true nonethess. 
The biggest thing I blame Bush for is Obama.

Valmy

Quote from: Lndhand on June 19, 2009, 03:14:12 PM
Apparently the "homo lobby" did not get the memo that many in the black community are vehemently anti-gay.  Seems a bit ironic to me given the past discrimination they have suffered, but it is apparently true nonethess. 

If it was true that being discriminated against made you a better and more accepting person the world would be nothing but sunshine and lollipops today.

Berkut

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 03:16:10 PM

If it was true that being discriminated against made you a better and more accepting person the world would be nothing but sunshine and lollipops today.

Indeed, sadly it seems like the opposite is true - being discriminated against just makes people want to find someone they can be bigots towards.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 19, 2009, 03:06:41 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 03:03:14 PM

And what about all the money the government spends on health care in the US...  That is the issue.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 03:16:10 PM

What do you mean by that post? Are you saying that the gay rights groups are wrong in being disappointed with Obama's record so far?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 03:18:16 PM
What do you mean by that post? Are you saying that the gay rights groups are wrong in being disappointed with Obama's record so far?

He said it was ironic the black community is vehemently anti-gay when they themselves were discriminated against.  I said that yes it does seem that being discriminated against yourself doesn't seem to lead to being more accepting of others yourself.  You only have to look at what the Eastern Euros did in your neck of the woods did once they were freed from their respective Empires to see more evidence of that.