Because Tim would never post this: 100,000 galaxies scanned, no sign of aliens

Started by alfred russel, April 15, 2015, 10:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 11:40:10 AM
I like the idea that there is no life outside of Earth.
I do wonder if we don't see intelligent civilizations because they reach a point with VR development that they turn completely inward, and then lose all interest in the physical universe.  They're not exploring and colonizing the universe because they don't give a shit about it.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

That would require that there be a higher stage of evolution than Tim. :o

Siege

How many fuckin times have we been over this?
Advance civilizattions build in, in the nanoscale.
No advanced civilization wil EVER megabuild.

Look at our own friggin history.
All our mega buildings were done very early on, like the pyramids.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on April 16, 2015, 12:32:53 PM
We probably can't see them because they have ascended.
or we are the first intelligent species to walk the universe.  We will ascend by the time someone else reaches our level.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2015, 09:19:32 AM

Hoover Dam? Golden Gate Bridge? Empire State Building?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Hoover Damn is pretty big - I wonder if you can see it from a neighboring galaxy?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

lustindarkness

Quote from: Berkut on April 17, 2015, 11:27:21 AM
Hoover Damn is pretty big - I wonder if you can see it from a neighboring galaxy?

If they have google maps they can.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on April 17, 2015, 09:19:32 AM

You do realize that the more technological adept a country is, the more energy it uses right?  And the more energy it uses the more waste heat it it produces.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Of course, trying to figure out the characteristics of a vastly further advanced civilization than our own is a little bit silly, especially as it relates to their technology signature. It is useful to think of things like this in order to test the hypothesis, but a negative result doesn't tell you much, since there are too many possible reasons we are incapable of properly understanding how the technology a galaxy spanning civilization might work.

It would be like a tribe on some island in the pacific concluding there aren't any other people anywhere, because they cannot see any smoke signals on the horizon, and we all know smoke signals is how different villages communicate.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on April 16, 2015, 11:40:10 AM
I like the idea that there is no life outside of Earth.

I like pretty much anything that contradicts the weird innate hope some have that there is alien life out there and that we'll somehow make contact with them in our lifetime.  As far as I know we're it and I'm okay with that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Agree. There's a reason "May you live in interesting times" (for which contact with aliens would qualify) is considered a curse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

I've never really considered it, personally, from the standpoint of what I want, but rather from the standpoint of what seems likely.

And it still seems unlikely to me that there is something as oustandingly unique about our planet that makes it different from literally billions of others.

Now, I do NOT accept that idea that there MUST be other intelligent life out there because of those odds. It is kind of a meta-odds discussion, right?

What are the odds that the odds of intelligent life are low enough that humans/Earth being the only example is NOT completely improbable?

It seems like the odds are that life is NOT astronomically rare. But that is kind of a "gut" feeling - there really isn't much data out there to support it, although there is more and more all the time.

But the the question of why the universe is so "quiet" is a incredibly interesting one, in my opinion.

0 rows returned