[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

The bottom line is this is ultimately a question on what public money should be spent (in this case, financial support for religious organisations that discriminate against gay people etc.). While I don't think this is a good way to spend public money, people have different views on this (for example, some people think public money should not be spent on organisations that perform abortions).

The people of Georgia have apparently voted and elected representatives who think public money should be spent on the former rather than the latter - I may disagree, but isn't this how democracy is supposed to work*?

If you want to change it, campaign to change this through a democratic process, by electing representatives who share your views - I have to say, though, I am much more uncomfortable with unelected and unaccountable corporations strong-arming democratic governments to abandon policies they dislike - than with homophobic Georgians.

*The only exceptions to this are of course when the law adopted by a democratic process is unconstitutional etc. - but that's for the courts to decide.

The Larch

QuoteNBA ISSUES WARNING TO NC AFTER PASSAGE OF ANTI-LGBT LAW

Apparently they're considering moving the All Star away from Charlotte, where it is scheduled to be hosted next year. The NCAA seems to be in the same boat regarding their basketball tournaments for 2017 and 2018, and have done the same in the past in Indiana, which got that state's law to be repealed afterwards.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

lol, what are you doing reading "Modern Liberal"?   :lol:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

I think we should probably shy away from posting pieces from that site. NC isn't think of instituting a gender id card.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

In Canada, Anglicans vote on whether to institute same-sex marriage.

First, the vote goes against it - by one vote.

Then, there was a recount, and the vote is actually for it - again, by a single vote.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/07/12/some-canadian-anglican-bishops-to-approve-same-sex-marriage-despite-church-ruling.html#

It was, literally, a clerical error.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/11/asia/australia-gay-marriage-plebiscite-delayed/index.html

QuoteGay marriage in Australia unlikely for years after public vote plan rejected

(CNN)Australia's parliament is almost certain to vote down a national referendum on same-sex marriage, potentially delaying marriage equality in the country for years.

Though it backs same-sex marriage, the left-wing opposition Labor party formally announced Tuesday it would not support the government's planned national vote.
They say a public vote is unnecessary, too costly and would trigger a divisive public debate which could traumatize young gay and lesbian Australians.

Instead, Labor, and other opposition parties, want same-sex marriage to be passed by Parliament immediately -- something which government conservatives are dead set against.

All of this leaves Australia's gay community hanging. Without Labor's support, the government won't have enough votes in the Australian senate to approve the national vote.
The government wanted to hold the national plebiscite, similar to a referendum, next February, at a cost of about US$120 million.

Same-sex unions off for years?

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has said if the plebiscite isn't held, marriage equality could be off the agenda until 2019, which is when the next general elections will be held.

However, one of Australia's most prominent gay politicians supports rejecting the plebiscite and is prepared to wait for gay marriage in Australia.

"No other human rights issue is put to a national vote in Australia," Andrew Barr, Australian Capital Territory Chief Minister, told CNN.

"In Australia we can declare war, we can send our troops overseas into battle without even consulting our parliament ... and yet for something as straightforward as including everyone in marriage, our current government believes there needs to be a vote of every Australian," the Labor politician said.

Numerous Western countries, including New Zealand, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United States, have legalized same-sex marriage in recent years.

Both party leaders, most Australians, support gay marriage

A majority of Australians support same-sex marriage, according to recent Essential opinion polls.

So do, both major party leaders in Australia -- Labor leader Bill Shorten and Malcolm Turnbull, who is the first Australian Prime Minister to support gay marriage while in power.

So why has it become such a big issue?

Conservatives in Turnbull's party want him to keep the plebiscite which was originally devised by former Prime Minister Tony Abbott in 2015, rather than passing same-sex marriage in a Parliamentary vote.

They believe the public should have a say on such a big social issue.

John Warhurst , a professor at Australian National University's School of Politics, says conservatives believe a public vote is their best hope to defeat -- or at least stall -- gay marriage in the country.

"(In 2015) it looked as though the supporters of same-sex marriage almost had a majority in the Parliament, so you can only be skeptical (the plebiscite) was a method to stall the process and try to ensure same-sex marriage was defeated in Australia," Australian National University School of Politics professor John Warhurst told CNN.

'Time for rising above party politics'

Lyle Shelton, the managing director of the Australian Christian Lobby, told CNN he was "disappointed" the plebiscite was likely to be voted down.

"The Australian Labor Party, the Greens and some of the crossbenchers have worked as political elites to deny the people a say on what is the biggest and most radical social change in a generation," he said, adding he thought the issue would now be gridlocked for years.

High-profile celebrities like singer Kylie Minogue and Margot Robbie are campaigning in favor of gay marriage. Minogue and her fiance won't walk down the aisle until Australia legislates for marriage equality.

Australian Marriage Equality director Tiernan Brady said the rejection of the plebiscite was the will of the majority of gay and lesbian Australians.

"(But) for the first time in Australia we have a marriage equality bill from a government, so that's good news ... This is a time for rising above party politics," he told CNN.

Same-sex marriage has been illegal in Australia since 2004, when former conservative Prime Minister John Howard changed Australia's Marriage Act to allow only heterosexual couples to marry.

CNN's graphic shows 58% of Australians in favor of same sex marriage, with 28% opposed.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

So not having gay marriage is less traumatizing?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

It's a bit of a weird situation where everyone is in favor of legalizing it, except for a number of conservative MPs who seem hellbent on fighting it.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Solmyr

Gay marriage laws came in force in Finland today. They were approved by the Parliament and signed by the President already a couple of years ago, but today they are officially in force. There was a last-ditch effort by some conservative fucks to overturn them in Parliament, but it failed. Funnily enough, the current Parliament, which is *more* conservative than the one that approved the laws two years ago, had more votes in favor of keeping the laws. Nearly all the opposition to gay marriage came from the Christian Democrat Party (religious conservative) and the True Finns Party (nationalist/populist). Even in the latter, three MPs went against the party line and voted in favor of gay marriage.

:yeah:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon