[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faeelin

Wait, you can be fined for mean words in Poland?

No wonder your neighbors gang bang you ever few years.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on August 08, 2009, 12:31:48 PM
Wait, you can be fined for mean words in Poland?

No wonder your neighbors gang bang you ever few years.
I look forward to Martinus having to pay thousands to the Catholic Church.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2009, 12:41:05 PM
I look forward to Martinus having to pay thousands to the Catholic Church.

The Pope? How many divisions does he have?

BuddhaRhubarb

why is a born again type doing a Tarot reading? isn't that witchcraft or something?
:p

citizen k

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 08, 2009, 01:20:05 PM
why is a born again type doing a Tarot reading? isn't that witchcraft or something?
I'm sorry, just some people don't fit into categories very easily.  ;)

viper37

Quote from: Neil on August 08, 2009, 07:05:09 AM
This is not some kind of gay support forum.  Official forum policy is anti-faggot, and has been for some years now.
someone should have told Marty years ago...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

isn't that witchcraft or something?
Yes.  There's something approaching evil in tarot and oujis and things like that <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/08/17/obama_makes_explicit_his_objec.html

Obama Makes Explicit His Objection to DOMA

By Scott Wilson
President Obama made clear Monday that he favors the repeal of the Defense of Marriage Act, and intends to ask Congress to repeal the 13-year-old law that denies benefits to domestic partners of federal employees and allows states to reject same-sex marriages performed in other states.

Obama has long opposed the law, which he has called discriminatory. But his Justice Department has angered the gay community, which favored Obama by a wide margin in last year's election, by defending the law in court. The administration has said it is standard practice for the Justice Department to do so, even for laws that it does not agree with.

The Justice Department did so again Monday in its response in Smelt v. United States, a case before a U.S. District Court in California. But, for the first time, the filing itself made clear that the administration "does not support DOMA as a matter of policy, believes that it is discriminatory, and supports its repeal."

Obama and his senior advisers have made that statement before, but never in a court brief. In addition, Obama issued a statement noting that, although his administration is again defending DOMA in court, "this brief makes clear...that my administration believes the act is discriminatory and should be repealed by Congress."

"While we work with Congress to repeal DOMA, my administration will continue to examine and implement measures that will help extend rights and benefits to LGBT couples under existing law," Obama said in the statement.

Let's see if it happens.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2009, 05:59:13 PM

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/2009/08/17/obama_makes_explicit_his_objec.html

[snip]

Let's see if it happens.

That would be an interesting development.

For those that say there's no "Jim Crow" effect in marriage legislation, in 1996, the year DOMA was passed, Alaska was the only state to ban gay marriage- it has since jumped to 29 states with legislation explicitly barring gay marriage (6 states have chosen to permit gay marriage, and it remains an open issue with 4 other states besides CA); many of those chose to follow federal "guidance" and use DOMA as a crutch to show that their bans pass the federal test.
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 17, 2009, 08:29:49 PM

That would be an interesting development.

For those that say there's no "Jim Crow" effect in marriage legislation, in 1996, the year DOMA was passed, Alaska was the only state to ban gay marriage- it has since jumped to 29 states with legislation explicitly barring gay marriage (6 states have chosen to permit gay marriage, and it remains an open issue with 4 other states besides CA); many of those chose to follow federal "guidance" and use DOMA as a crutch to show that their bans pass the federal test.

You could just as easily say that it was the OMG MARRAIGE IS TEH UNDER THREAT response from the fundies toward the fact that it had been becoming far more mainstream and accepted during that same time frame. Correlation, causation, etc.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: citizen k on August 08, 2009, 01:46:03 PM
I'm sorry, just some people don't fit into categories very easily.  ;)

yeah look who you are telling that to.
:p

DontSayBanana

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 17, 2009, 08:55:25 PM
You could just as easily say that it was the OMG MARRAIGE IS TEH UNDER THREAT response from the fundies toward the fact that it had been becoming far more mainstream and accepted during that same time frame. Correlation, causation, etc.

I guess the "knee-jerk response" correlation could be read for 13-16 of the banning states; particularly in the case of the 13 states that banned gay marriage the year after MA legalized it.

http://pewforum.org/docs/?DocID=421
Experience bij!