[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2015, 12:46:37 PM
I don't understand how incestuous marriages relate to gay marriages. I mean I guess they could be the same marriage if it were two brothers or something.

It's the slippery slope argument: marriage is between man and woman. If we change it to man/man or woman/woman, where does it end? Father/daughter?? Man/dog??? Woman/toaster??11??#)&!§
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2015, 12:56:15 PM
I don't understand how incestuous marriages relate to gay marriages. I mean I guess they could be the same marriage if it were two brothers or something.

Marriage prohibitions based on taboos.

I figure polygamy and polyandry are just a question of time.

Does one thing ceasing to be a taboo mean there are no more taboos?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2015, 12:58:35 PM

It's the slippery slope argument: marriage is between man and woman. If we change it to man/man or woman/woman, where does it end? Father/daughter?? Man/dog??? Woman/toaster??11??#)&!§

Well there was that dark moment we first allowed a man to marry his brother's widow. We all know what that led to. That's right: the Anglican Church.  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2015, 12:58:39 PM
Does one thing ceasing to be a taboo mean there are no more taboos?

Empirically, no.  Even in states with gay marriages dogs are generally not eaten.

However, if taboo is rejected as a rationale for prohibition in one case, it makes it hard to argue for it's maintenance in another.

Barrister

Quote from: Syt on June 03, 2015, 12:58:35 PM

Some slopes really are slippery though.

We have decided that it was completely arbitrary to limit marriage to being between one man and one woman.  Now marriage is between two people.

As Yi points out though - is the restriction that a marriage is only between two people any more arbitrary?  I'm with Yi, I think that polygamous marriage  is probably inevitable, though that could still takes many years.

Incest, bestiality, and toaster-sex  taboos have a much better chance of remaining however, due to the difficulty in determining consent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

What would be very interesting to see is how society would respond to wealthy men grabbing all the available women. 

derspiess

Someone get a lawyer in Berlin to sue Yi and Barrister for libel.  They are guilty of holding the wrong opinion.  I bet you're both secretly Saarlanders :angry:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 03, 2015, 01:17:00 PM
What would be very interesting to see is how society would respond to wealthy men grabbing all the available women. 

Probably be entertained with the explosion of the women taking all their money in divorce cases.

Barrister

The truly rich could still do it the old fashioned way - multiple mistresses.

Valmy

Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2015, 01:24:16 PM

Well they can do that just fine now :P

The main reasons to get state support marriages are practical ones. I don't see any practical advantages to some billionaire being legally tied to his harem.

Barrister

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2015, 01:27:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 03, 2015, 01:24:16 PM

Well they can do that just fine now :P

The main reasons to get state support marriages are practical ones. I don't see any practical advantages to some billionaire being legally tied to his harem.

Well that's what I was saying. :p

Besides, the predominating cultural trend has been against marriage, period.  I doubt that legalizing polygamy would lead to a widespread trend of rich men having multiple wives.

The Brain

I don't think the state has to be involved in the marriage business.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2015, 02:22:43 PM

Pretty much agree.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on June 03, 2015, 02:22:43 PM

Unfortunately the state has to enforce contracts so it pretty much has to be no matter what form marriage eventually takes.

Razgovory

I think Yi and Barrister have a point.  If the Marriage is now between two consenting adults, why must it only be two?  Why not three?  Why can't those people be family members?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017