[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

A Vienna café has been criticized for kicking out a lesbian couple. The ladies kissed ("more than just a 'hello' kiss according to the proprietor) and were told off by the waiter who proceeded to serve them with disdain (which must be bad, because disdainful waiters are a staple of Viennese café house culture :P ).

So the couple complained to the owner. She then kicked the couple out.

Now, Austrian law is funny. The proprietor is in her right to refuse service (to anyone). However, if the waiter was gay and guests would refuse to be served by this waiter, or if the owner treated him unfairly, he could sue, because it would be discrimination in the workplace.

Anyways, one café off the list of places I like to go to.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

I would serve anyone with disdain who was engaging in excessive PDA. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on December 18, 2014, 07:49:20 AM
QuoteStudy: Gay men earn less than straight men, but lesbians are paid more

Sexual orientation seems to affect earning prospects and job satisfaction, a study shows.

Research by Nick Drydakis at Anglia Ruskin University found gay men on average earn 9% less compared to heterosexual men.

However, lesbians on average earn 12% more compared to heterosexual women.

Even in countries in the EU, Australia, Canada and the US, which have the strongest anti-discrimination laws, gay and lesbian people experienced more obstacles in getting a job, earning bias and harassment than their counterparts.

Mr Drydakis said: "Despite anti-discrimination laws in some countries, gay and lesbian employees encounter serious job-market barriers.

"They report more harassment and less job satisfaction than heterosexual employees, and gay men earn less than comparably skilled and experienced heterosexual men.

"Good employer–employee relations are shown to increase job satisfaction for gay and lesbian employees.

"Government can help through campaigns promoting respect and equality of treatment in the workplace and by publishing annual data on progress toward equality objectives.

"Firms should evaluate recruitment and promotion policies to ensure equality of opportunity and should address incidents of harassment."

The report highlights that fewer than 20% of countries have adopted sexual orientation anti-discrimination laws in employment, and 2.7 billion people live in countries where being gay or lesbian is a crime.

It found that people who are open about their sexual orientation within the workplace are more likely to report higher job satisfaction than those who are not.

In the UK, lesbians earned 8% more than heterosexual women, with the gap increasing to 11% in Germany and 20% in the US.

My personal take on this:

1. Discrimination plays a role, but...

2. Gay men are more likely to pick jobs that are better on work-life balance / are less likely to put in extra hours even if they pay less than straight men, because more rarely have an entire family to maintain.

3. Gay women are paid more than straight women because they are less likely to have kids (which is a significant reason why women are paid less on average).

Heh, it could be that gay men get discriminated against because they are seen as "single", and employers like steady "family" men. The employer may not know or care that they are gay, just that they are not "married" (and thus presumably more likely to be flighty). Assuming this is true, the question then is whether gay marriage will change this at all, when it becomes available and popular.

I agree that with women, the discrimination works the other way - it is women with children who are discriminated against, indirectly favouring lesbians.   
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

I read recently an article about a gay couple being kicked out of an Uber cab by a Muslim driver for excessive PDA. Now that's a topic that could cause chaos on Languish. :P

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 01:47:18 PM
I read recently an article about a gay couple being kicked out of an Uber cab by a Muslim driver for excessive PDA. Now that's a topic that could cause chaos on Languish. :P

I read that and one of those guys had noted on his twitter bio that he is an attention whore. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

What's PDA in the gay community? Some secret code.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 01:56:21 PM

I read that and one of those guys had noted on his twitter bio that he is an attention whore. :D

Have you ever met a gay guy who wasn't? :P

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 12, 2015, 01:41:51 PM
Heh, it could be that gay men get discriminated against because they are seen as "single", and employers like steady "family" men. The employer may not know or care that they are gay, just that they are not "married" (and thus presumably more likely to be flighty). Assuming this is true, the question then is whether gay marriage will change this at all, when it becomes available and popular.

On the whole, are married people more likely to stay around? I know common sense would say that married people have more commitments (like children) so they are less likely to leave a job that is working out - at least that is until they come across something better. Presumably that fairly similar to single people these days. How many people really just quit jobs without having something else ready?

Not that I'm at all disagreeing with your theory - just pondering if the "non-flightiness" of a married employee is more than just common wisdom.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 12, 2015, 01:59:49 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2015, 01:56:21 PM

Have you ever met a gay guy who wasn't? :P

Yes? :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

Are you asking what the acronym means or what constitutes a PDA in the gay community? PDA stands for Public Displays of Affection and I thought it was used universally.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 01:58:29 PM

What Syt said / not a secret gay term. :P

11B4V

When are those people going to learn/figure out, the train is rolling and there's no stopping it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on January 12, 2015, 02:01:48 PM
When are those people going to learn/figure out, the train is rolling and there's no stopping it.

I think I will always be annoyed by PDA. -_-