[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2014, 05:27:00 PM
Did Dre come out?  :huh:

Nah that's just what came up when Siegy rolled his "what to post" die.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Siege

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on November 16, 2014, 05:38:14 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 16, 2014, 05:27:00 PM
Did Dre come out?  :huh:

Nah that's just what came up when Siegy rolled his "what to post" die.

Damit, you know the entrails of my underwear...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Martinus

Quote11/18/2014

Former 'Ex-Gay' Leader John Smid Marries His Same-Sex Partner In Oklahoma

File this under, "Signs we've almost won."

John Smid (above right), the longtime leader of one of the most prominent "ex-gay" therapy programs in the US, has married his same-sex partner — in Oklahoma, no less.

Smid served as director of Love In Action and spent 11 years on the board of Exodus International. Three years ago, Smid publicly renounced "ex-gay" therapy and came out as gay.

Smid said he and his partner, Larry McQueen (above left), obtained their marriage license in Hugo, Oklahoma — a 35-minute drive from their home in Paris, Texas — before holding a ceremony in Tulsa on Sunday.

"I believe that due to my former notoriety, my marriage will definitely have its impact," Smid told Towleroad on Monday. "I believe it is encouraging for other former ex-gays, and maybe even those who are still trying to hold on to their ex-gay belief system. We think our relationship reveals something very normal, not strange or deceptive gay stereotypes. We have come to realize that our marriage is very much the same as your average heterosexual marriage."

Smid has apologized extensively for his role at Love In Action — penning a book and reaching out to survivors of the program individually. He has pointed out that the leaders of "ex-gay" therapy programs are often victims, too.

Asked whether there are still those in the LGBT community who don't think he deserves to be happily married, Smid said, "No actually, I think that's been worked out, but you never know, there may be some."

Smid has been married twice before — both times to women. He had two children in the 1970s before living as openly gay for several years in the 1980s.

After marrying again and spending two decades in the "ex-gay" movement, Smid said he began to drift away from it in 2005, when Zach Stark, a teenager in Love In Action's residential treatment program, posted cries for help on MySpace.

The posts fueled protests outside Love in Action, as well as stories in the national media. One of the protesters was Morgan Fox, a filmmaker who eventually directed a documentary about the experience called, "This Is What Love In Action Looks Like." Smid agreed to be interviewed by Fox, and they became friends.

After leaving Love in Action, Smid launched his own ministry, Grace Rivers, which now focuses on the gay community. He divorced his second wife in 2011 and moved to Texas to live with McQueen last year.

"I realized this week that my relationship with Larry is a mirror I see in every day," Smid wrote in announcing their marriage on Facebook. "For most of my life, the mirror I saw reflected my mistakes, shortcomings and failures. The reflection I see today with Larry shows me the positive things in my life, my strengths, gifts and talents. I see how I can succeed at a mutual intimate and loving relationship. For this, I am truly grateful.

"At this time our federal government recognizes our legal marriage, our home state of Texas does not," Smid wrote. "However, we hope that Texas will soon accept our marriage as legitimate and legal."

http://www.towleroad.com/2014/11/former-ex-gay-leader-john-smid-gets-same-sex-married-in-oklahoma.html

Nothing cures the desire to have sex as well as getting married. Amirite? :perv:

viper37

Benji the gay bull saved

QuoteA bull branded gay, has been saved from the slaughterhouse by charity donations, including £5,000 from Sam Simon, co-creator of the Simpsons.

Benjy, from County Mayo, Ireland, was destined for the abattoir after showing more interest in breeding with other bulls than cows.

Gay and animal rights campaigners launched a joint online campaign to save Benjy. It went viral.

Homosexual behaviour has been observed in 1,500 animal species.
'Large lamb'

Benjy's story first came to light when his owner mentioned to friend and local journalist, Joanna McNicholas, that Benjy was not fulfilling his farm role, and would have to be reluctantly sent for slaughter.

Ms McNicholas said: "He looks like a large lamb. He's very gentle and very quiet."

After Benjy's plight appeared in the Connaught Telegraph, it was picked up by the Animal Rights Action Network (ARAN) in Ireland.

The Gay UK, an online daily magazine for the gay community, launched a Crowdfunder campaign to raise £5,000 to buy Benjy and transport him to an animal sanctuary.
Bart and Benjy

In less than a week the campaign has raised over £9,000, including the surprise donation from Mr Simon on Tuesday morning.

Mr Simon was diagnosed with terminal cancer in 2012.

He is vegan and has donated to several projects to rescue animals from cruelty.

"All animals have a dire destiny in the meat trade, but to kill this bull because he's gay would've been a double tragedy," said Mr Simon in a statement.

He said he was glad to help "make Benjy's fate a sanctuary rather than a sandwich".
Retirement

Benjy will now be transported from Ireland to Hillside Animal Sanctuary in Norwich, and the extra funding will be used to ensure his lifelong welfare, said John Carmody of ARAN.

Ms McNicholas has not seen Benjy since the the campaign surpassed its target, but his owner reported that Benjy was "glowing" over the good news.

According to Ms McNicholas, the challenge of dealing with gay bulls in farming is not widely talked about. The animals are seen as "no good" or "useless".

Lions, penguins and cheetahs have all been observed to exhibit homosexual behaviour.

Bats are widely thought to be the animals with the highest rate of homosexuality among their male population.

Peta, I get it.  But gays as well?  There are people in the world I'll never understand.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

I ignored that as I didn't have any idea why anyone would care.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on November 19, 2014, 03:38:33 PM
Benji the gay bull saved

Peta, I get it.  But gays as well?  There are people in the world I'll never understand.

Perhaps gay bulls don't taste as good?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Bats are widely thought to be the animals with the highest rate of homosexuality among their male population.
I don't think it's okay for an article to just drop this sort of fact at the end and not go into it :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

What species has the highest percentage of dykes?

Martinus

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 19, 2014, 04:40:37 PM

I don't think it's okay for an article to just drop this sort of fact at the end and not go into it :mellow:

That explains Batman.

Martinus

QuoteCitigroup Risk Executive Miller Found Dead in New York

By Dakin Campbell, Chris Dolmetsch and Stephen Miller Nov 20, 2014 6:01 AM GMT+0100

Shawn D. Miller, a Citigroup Inc. (C) managing director who was global head of environmental and social risk management, was found dead in his New York apartment after suffering a neck wound, police said.

Miller, 42, was found unconscious two days ago in the bathtub of his Greenwich Street apartment in lower Manhattan with a neck laceration, the New York City Police Department said in a statement. Medics declared him dead after responding to an emergency call at 3:11 p.m. and investigators are waiting for the medical examiner to determine a cause of death, police said.

The New York Post reported that Miller's throat was slashed and that no knife was recovered, leading authorities to suspect foul play. The Wall Street Journal, citing a law enforcement official, reported that police are seeking to talk with a man who was seen in the elevator with Miller before 6:30 p.m. on Nov. 15 and appeared to have a dispute with him.

Miller "was highly regarded at Citi and across the financial services industry as a thought leader and tireless advocate for environmental and sustainable business practices," bank executives wrote in a memo to employees in his division. "He will be greatly missed by all who knew him."

Doorman's Discovery

Investigators didn't find weapons or signs of forced entry, police said. The building's doorman found Miller after his boyfriend said he was unable to reach him, police said.

Miller advised executives and clients on sustainability matters, including environmental and social policies related to industries such as mining and renewable energy, according to his LinkedIn profile. He helped oversee the development and implementation of policies in more than 100 countries.

In 1995, he joined the International Finance Corp., the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, where he helped evaluate finance risk in emerging markets, according to his LinkedIn profile.

Miller joined Citigroup in 2004 as part of the firm's project to implement a set of finance industry-developed sustainability practices known as the Equator Principles, the profile shows. He was a recipient of a 2007 Financial Times Sustainable Banking Award.

He received a master's degree in international relations from the Maxwell School of Citizenship & Public Affairs at Syracuse University and was a fellow in Bengali at the South Asia Center at the Maxwell School and the American Institute of Indian Studies in Calcutta, according to the LinkedIn page.

To contact the reporters on this story: Dakin Campbell in New York at [email protected]; Chris Dolmetsch in New York State Supreme Court in Manhattan at

[email protected]; Stephen Miller in New York at
[email protected]
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Peter Eichenbaum at [email protected]; Michael Hytha at [email protected]; Charles W. Stevens at [email protected] Dan Kraut

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-11-19/citigroup-s-risk-management-executive-shawn-miller-found-dead.html

Reason why we do not get gay CEOs - they do not last long enough. :(

Martinus

Incidentally, I love the NYC police's restraint - a guy gets found with his throat slashed and they *suspect* foul play.  :P