[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2014, 01:30:32 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 13, 2014, 01:27:58 PM
Was Shepherd's murder an act of anti-gay violence?  I thought his being gay had nothing to do with it.

The article garbon posted posits the killer was his gay lover. That does not necessarily exclude the possibility this was a case of gay bashing. In fact, a lot of gay bashing happens after actual sex.

But, of course, it can also suggest that homophobia may not have been the primary motive - if a motive at all.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Article made it sound to me like he was after drug money and killed Shepard cause he didn't have any/wouldn't give it to him. /shrug
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

If it could have been gay then it was gay. Mart's Law.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2014, 01:26:02 PM
Quote from: Barrister on November 13, 2014, 01:23:26 PM
Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2014, 01:22:17 PM
So, if an act of anti-gay violence is committed by someone who is a self-hating closeted gay himself, the act is no longer homophobic?  :hmm:

Not as that phrase is usually understood, no.

I disagree. In fact I thought it was pretty common knowledge that a lot of homophobic acts are committed by closeted gays in self denial.

if you see closeted gays in self denial everywhere, then yes, it's pretty common knowledge.  For normal people, it ain't so, though.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 13, 2014, 01:41:26 PM
Article made it sound to me like he was after drug money and killed Shepard cause he didn't have any/wouldn't give it to him. /shrug

All the article makes it sound to me is that Shepard knew the killers and they had a complex relationship prior to the murder and that he was no saint. It does present certain alternative hypotheses, but it does not refute the hypothesis that the murder was motivated by homophobia. This makes such alternative hypotheses mere speculations, and given that the "homophobia" hypothesis seems to have been proven conclusively in the court of law, I'd rather go with the view of the jury than speculations of some hack.

Dan White was Harvey Milk's political rival; he was pissed off at him for destroying his political project; and he was most likely a homosexual in self-denial. That does not make the murder of Harvey Milk not motivated by homophobia either.

The anti gay prejudice in the society is exactly what makes some gay people so self-hating that they becoming violently homophobic. This is in fact the point the article makes near its end. This is pretty much common knowledge and most people - with the exception of closeted gay homophobes, like viper - seem to share it.

viper37

Apparently, there'll be a new radio station in Montreal, for gays, that plays only music made by gays, or friends of gays.
So Madonna and Britney are in because they kissed on stage.  Lady Gaga is in because she is "supportive" of LGBT rights.
Local gay artists will be played on this radio.  Hetero artists who never kissed someone of the same gender are most likely out.

I wonder how it will play.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Quote from: viper37 on November 14, 2014, 10:16:33 AM
Apparently, there'll be a new radio station in Montreal, for gays, that plays only music made by gays, or friends of gays.
So Madonna and Britney are in because they kissed on stage.  Lady Gaga is in because she is "supportive" of LGBT rights.
Local gay artists will be played on this radio.  Hetero artists who never kissed someone of the same gender are most likely out.

Sounds like it will die. SF had a dance/pop station that had as its key djs, several gay guys. Radio show in the morning was gay guys. One day it was suddenly replaced by a hip-hop station. It had been bought out. I'm not sure why a more restrictive station would fare better in Montreal.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Can't imagine there is a big enough audience of gays who care more about exclusivity than about playing whatever music they want to hear.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2014, 10:23:43 AM

Can't imagine there is a big enough audience of gays who care more about exclusivity than about playing whatever music they want to hear.

Yeah seems like it would only be of interest to those gays interested in forming a completely separate society.  Maybe Montreal has a high proportion of those? :D

Maximus

Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2014, 10:28:32 AM
Yeah seems like it would only be of interest to those gays interested in forming a completely separate society.  Maybe Montreal has a high proportion of those? :D
They call it a distinct society.

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on November 14, 2014, 10:23:43 AM

Now, if they started to call for the death of all muslims, that could probably get more traction among Montreal gays. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Maximus on November 14, 2014, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: garbon on November 14, 2014, 10:28:32 AM
They call it a distinct society.
We prefer the word "demimonde".  :P

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

garbon

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"