[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2014, 06:12:47 PM

QuoteLuxembourg's openly gay Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has announced that he is planning to marry his long-term partner Gauthier Destenay,

Fixed!

celedhring

So, apparently we are the least homophobic country in the world:

At least there's something we do well...

Syt

Italian head of bishop's conference: "Gay parents undermine the core of humanity!"

http://www.marilynstowe.co.uk/2014/11/13/catholic-cardinal-gay-couples-irresponsible-for-wanting-children/

QuoteCatholic cardinal: gay couples 'irresponsible' for wanting children

A senior Catholic cardinal has called gay couples who wish to have children "irresponsible" and said they are undermining traditional families.

Speaking at a meeting of bishops in Italy, Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco claimed that all children "have a right to a mother and a father" and that same-sex parents "weaken the family by creating new forms".

He added that gay marriage "only confuses people and has the effect of being a sort of Trojan horse, undermining culturally and socially the core of humanity".

The traditional family is "the stronghold of our country: the charitable, moral and material net that protects people from feeling abandoned and alone", he said.

These comments come not long after controversy surrounding gay marriage in Italy. The Mayor of Rome defied the national ban on same-sex marriage by registering 16 gay couples who had married in other countries. The move was condemned by politicians and religious leaders alike.

Additionally, the Pope held the Synod of Bishops earlier this year to discuss the church's response to issues like gay marriage, divorce and remarriage.

Pope Francis has courted controversy since his election by appearing to soften the position of the Catholic Church on such matters. He famously said of gay people: "Who am I to judge?" when questioned by the press in 2013.

Despite social attitudes regarding same-sex marriage progressing very rapidly, there are still a number of public figures who are extremely resistant to its acceptance. Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy called it "humiliating" in his first television interview since his return to national politics.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2014, 07:20:05 AM
So, apparently we are the least homophobic country in the world:

At least there's something we do well...
And Pakistan is the country with most google searches for 'man fucking man' :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on November 13, 2014, 08:04:09 AM
Italian head of bishop's conference: "Gay parents undermine the core of humanity!"

http://www.marilynstowe.co.uk/2014/11/13/catholic-cardinal-gay-couples-irresponsible-for-wanting-children/

QuoteCatholic cardinal: gay couples 'irresponsible' for wanting children

A senior Catholic cardinal has called gay couples who wish to have children "irresponsible" and said they are undermining traditional families.

Speaking at a meeting of bishops in Italy, Cardinal Angelo Bagnasco claimed that all children "have a right to a mother and a father" and that same-sex parents "weaken the family by creating new forms".

He added that gay marriage "only confuses people and has the effect of being a sort of Trojan horse, undermining culturally and socially the core of humanity".

The traditional family is "the stronghold of our country: the charitable, moral and material net that protects people from feeling abandoned and alone", he said.

These comments come not long after controversy surrounding gay marriage in Italy. The Mayor of Rome defied the national ban on same-sex marriage by registering 16 gay couples who had married in other countries. The move was condemned by politicians and religious leaders alike.

Additionally, the Pope held the Synod of Bishops earlier this year to discuss the church's response to issues like gay marriage, divorce and remarriage.

Pope Francis has courted controversy since his election by appearing to soften the position of the Catholic Church on such matters. He famously said of gay people: "Who am I to judge?" when questioned by the press in 2013.

Despite social attitudes regarding same-sex marriage progressing very rapidly, there are still a number of public figures who are extremely resistant to its acceptance. Former French President Nicolas Sarkozy called it "humiliating" in his first television interview since his return to national politics.

A bunch of unmarried, kiddie-fucking men in dresses strengthen the core of humanity, though. Bloody hypocrite.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 13, 2014, 08:30:40 AM
And Pakistan is the country with most google searches for 'man fucking man' :lol:

Probably because it's so inconceivable they need visual aids to imagine it. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

The percentage of homophobia for the US roughly corresponds to the % of people living in Southern States  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2014, 09:38:10 AM
The percentage of homophobia for the US roughly corresponds to the % of people living in Southern States  :hmm:

Don't think there is a direct correlation, though. Austin and Houston are among the most liberal cities in the US. Matthew Shepard was murdered in Wyoming.

celedhring

I was being slightly facetious, but I wonder how much the Bible Belt tilts the scales for them.

Martinus

Quote from: celedhring on November 13, 2014, 09:58:26 AM
I was being slightly facetious, but I wonder how much the Bible Belt tilts the scales for them.

Oh probably a lot. But I think this is more an age issue at the moment.

What I find curious is what the different between "acceptable" and "not a moral issue" is?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on November 13, 2014, 10:04:16 AM

What I find curious is what the different between "acceptable" and "not a moral issue" is?

I don't find the sexual orientation to be acceptable or unacceptable, I simply don't care who you enjoy having sex with or build relationship with.

I think, coming from a Canadian, the country with the most "not a moral issue".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Sheilbh

I think most of my friends would say it's not even a moral issue. I would.

It's the difference between tolerance (:bleeding:) and acceptance.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 13, 2014, 10:09:09 AM

I don't find the sexual orientation to be acceptable or unacceptable, I simply don't care who you enjoy having sex with or build relationship with.

I think, coming from a Canadian, the country with the most "not a moral issue".

That's the way I understood it too. But I think it's the kind of fine distinction that a lot of the people interviewed will probably not have considered.

Martinus

Yeah, that's my point that it could be interpreted differently by different people.

I can see someone saying that "acceptable" is more "gay friendly" than "not a moral issue" - for example, someone may have strong views about the right and wrong of relationships, and think that gay relationships are right, not wrong - whereas someone who has a "not a moral issue" approach could simply not care one way or the other.