[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Well she looks like a butch dyke to me. This lets one fill in the blanks. ;)

Jacob

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 04:01:39 PM
Meh, I don't really have a horse in this race (I had Hep B, so I'm excluded and anyway whenever I give blood for tests, I am uncomfortable) - I just think it's quite unreasonable. The fact that many countries are lifting the ban on gay men donating blood also tells something (or do you find this to be the case of political correctness gone wild?).

Nope, I'm okay with lifting/ implementing the bans on gay men donating, assuming it's done with proper looks at the statistics and risk management by epidemiologists taking into account the specific context of the system in which they are operating.

For gay blood donors, it would bother me if the decision was based on identity politics in either direction - whether it be "don't discriminate against gay people" or "gay people are icky". I have a preference for inclusion, but I have a stronger preference for minimizing risk as much as absolutely practicable (so I'm happy if/when the ban on gay men is lifted if I believe the decision is made with sufficient rigour). On the other hand, I would be very much offended if presented with evidence that medical authorities had decided against accepting blood from gay men based on anti-gay prejudice, and then massaged the numbers after the fact to justify themselves.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 03:24:22 PM
And are similar bans in place for other risk groups, such as black females (the fastest growing HIV infection group in the last decade).
In the UK (which has now changed it) it was based on behaviour. So if you were a man who'd had sex with another man you were banned. Or a woman who'd had sex with a man who'd had sex with another man you were banned (non M4M here). I think if you visited sub-Saharan Africa in the last year/six months you were banned. Same with certain other areas though I think the concern there was other diseases not AIDS.

Though, obviously, it mostly affected gay men.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Yeah I have never heard about gay men being banned from donating blood in Sweden. Having had sex with men is key AFAIK.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

I'm fine. Y'all ain't good enough for my blood anyway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on August 21, 2014, 04:51:09 PM
Yeah I have never heard about gay men being banned from donating blood in Sweden. Having had sex with men is key AFAIK.

You know, I always forget about straight men who have sex with men. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Larch

This is a picture of the other girl, with a different haircut than in the one posted before:

http://www.dssmagazine.com/img/Noticia/big/Vanessa-Klein/20140321-142901-dssmagazine_Vanessa-Klein_3.jpg

Butchier than the beauty queen but still not flannel and boots butch.  ;)

Edit: Changed pic for link due to humongous size.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2014, 04:52:29 PM

I hope you're not making fun of rape.

derspiess

And celibate gay men.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2014, 05:07:04 PM

And celibate gay men.

Are those like moderate muslims? LOLOLOL1

Tonitrus

QuoteLuxembourg's openly gay Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has announced that he is planning to marry his long-term partner Destenay Gauthier,

Isn't he white? :hmm:

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on August 21, 2014, 03:03:57 PM
Quote from: LaCroix on August 21, 2014, 02:35:37 PM
currently it's one unit of HIV risk per two million units of blood. i don't think anyone can say what that number would increase by. it could be increased to 1.2 units or 2-3+ units. if it's the latter, then it's a balance of whether the total benefit outweighs a triple (or more) increase in HIV infection by blood transfusion.

That's exactly my point - I don't know if there is a name for this logical fallacy but if there isn't, there should be - an increase from 0.001% to 0.003% is statistically insignificant.
There is a name for the fallacy you committed:  innumeracy.  You can't tell whether the increase you quoted is statistically significant from the information provided.

garbon

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 21, 2014, 06:12:47 PM

QuoteLuxembourg's openly gay Prime Minister Xavier Bettel has announced that he is planning to marry his long-term partner Destenay Gauthier,

Isn't he white? :hmm:

Not amused.

Martinus

Define "having sex".  :sleep:

The Brain