[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Also:

QuoteNothing in this Charter abrogates or derogates from any rights or privileges guaranteed by or under the Constitution of Canada in respect of denominational, separate or dissentient schools.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Sadly I have to agree with BB that this seems like it has already been decided (though I don't view it as an anti-religion cause as it does seem discriminatory to me).

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2014/03/straight-to-heart-trinity-westerns-anti-gay-law-school-rules
QuoteThis is not the first time TWU's educational programs have been the subject of controversy. In 2001, TWU and the British Columbia College of Teachers (BCCT) took their dispute over BCCT's refusal to approve TWU's teacher training program to the Supreme Court of Canada (SCC). BCCT's refusal was based on the fact that TWU required its students and staff to agree that they would not engage in "sexual sins," including homosexual behaviour.

A majority of the SCC found that BCCT's refusal to approve the teacher education program unreasonable. According to the majority of the SCC, BCCT did not properly consider the competing human rights involved when it assessed TWU's restrictions on student behaviour. BCCT failed to consider the right to freedom of religion under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms in making its decision.

The SCC made the following observations about BCCT's decision:

-  There was no evidence that graduates of TWU's teaching program would discriminate against LGBTQ individuals when they became teachers.
-  BCCT did not require public universities to screen out applicants who held discriminatory views.
-  TWU fell under the exemption created by section 41 of B.C.'s Human Rights Code (the Code).

The SCC did find that LGBTQ students could sign the Community Covenant Agreement only "at great personal cost," recognizing that prohibiting same‑sex sexual intimacy meant, de facto, that TWU prohibited LGBTQ students.

And I like this bit of the editorial:
QuoteThere is something fundamentally unjust in giving an institution, which actively discriminates against an identifiable group based on a Charter-protected identity, access to a licensing regime that should be open to all individuals, equally.   

TWU should not be prevented from carrying out educational programs in a religious context. But, in view of balancing competing human rights instead of creating a hierarchy, a line should be drawn where those educational programs are designed to provide access to a public licensing process that is bound by the Charter. The BCCT decision did not consider this broader public policy perspective.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 02, 2014, 09:18:35 AM
Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 08:45:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2014, 04:40:17 PM
Eh - we have all sorts of religious post-secondary institutions in this country that no one has ever been bothered about.  I can't see why having an evangelical law school is any worse than any other sort.

Now, whether BC needs 4 law schools is a whole different question...

The notion (agree with it or not) is that law is different - it is supposed to be 'about' upholding the basic values of our society, in a way that (say) dentistry or math is not. Thus, a law school that requires students to sign a pledge that is inimical to those values should not be accredited.

Except that:

QuoteWhereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

TWU already went through this fight when they were accredited to teach education - and surely teachers are "about upholding the basic values of society" in an even more significant way than lawyers.

I see this as a Vikingesque anti-religion fight - nothing more.

I don't see ot that way, and I think the facts are against such an interpretation - accreditation is being resisted purely on the basis of the anti-homosexuality pledge students are required to sign off on (and are disciplined or expelled, allegedly, if they break). Get rid of that, and they could be as religious as they like. With you Vikingesque anti-religious types, it is the fact of being religious that is offensive, not any particular act.

The BC teacher's college case was distinguished in the submission on the basis (1) that the relevant accreditation body was tasked in its statute purely and solely with determining whether the education the teachers received was adequate to enable them to teach. The law society has a wider mandate - it is required to uphold the values inherent in the rule of law, and one of those values is non-discrimination; and (2) that society's values have shifted dramatically since the earlier SCC decision (for example, te acceptance of gay marriage and gay adoption) and (3) the rules for evaluating such evidence in Charter cases have dramatically shifted. 

Warning, PDF

http://trk.cp20.com/Tracking/t.c?6h5uy-ckmgf-8vs5hy4&_v=2
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Yeah I'm with BB. I don't see any problem here, if they meet the requirements. According to the article they do.

I'd be very reluctant to see anything else happen.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

The bigger concern though has nothing to do with religion or gay rights.

Instead, for the longest time the number of law schools in Canada was static.  The last school to open was probably UCalgary in '76.

But suddenly we've now allowed the opening of two more law schools - TRU and Lakehead.  TWU is moving towards a law school, and Memorial University looks to be establishing one as well.  And worse than that, the existing law schools have been substantially increasing enrollment.

But all of this is coming at a time when the profession is not growing - if anything it's under increasing pressure.

Admiral Yi

alfred russel

QuoteThe SCC did find that LGBTQ students could sign the Community Covenant Agreement only "at great personal cost," recognizing that prohibiting same‑sex sexual intimacy meant, de facto, that TWU prohibited LGBTQ students.

That reasoning sounds really flawed. Would the SCC also conclude that they de facto prohibit heterosexual single students?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Barrister

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

I saw this thread and thought he is back already  :(

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on August 13, 2014, 08:04:29 PM
I saw this thread and thought he is back already  :(

He is.  Postpocalypse just hasn't begun yet.
Experience bij!

Martinus

sbr

It's tough to decide where to put this, but in honor of Marti's return....

QuoteSun Devils lineman tells magazine he's gay

TEMPE, Ariz. (AP) -- Arizona State offensive lineman Edward Sarafin has told a local magazine he is gay, making him the first active Division I football player to come out.

A fifth-year senior, Sarafin told Phoenix-based Compete, a magazine for gay sports, that he began telling teammates about his sexual orientation last spring.

''It was really personal to me, and it benefited my peace of mind greatly,'' he said in the magazine's August issue.

The walk-on lineman, who goes by the nickname Chip, follows the precedent set by St. Louis Rams linebacker Michael Sam. Sam told teammates he was gay during his playing days, but did not come out publicly until after finishing his career at Missouri.

Massachusetts sophomore Derrick Gordon became the first active openly-gay Division I basketball player when he came out in April.

Brooklyn Nets forward Jason Collins became the first active openly-gay player in one of the four major U.S. professional sports leagues when he came out to Sports Illustrated in April 2013. He became the first openly-gay player to play in an NBA game after signing with the Nets last season.

Numerous other athletes have come out as gay the past couple of years, opening the door for players like Sarafin to do it without much fear of repercussions from teammates or coaches.

''The entire athletics department is extremely proud of Chip and is unequivocally supportive of him,'' Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson said in a statement.

A 6-foot-6, 320-pound lineman from Gilbert, Arizona, Sarafin graduated with a degree in biomedical engineering last spring and is currently in Arizona State's master's program. He has yet to play in a game, working as a scout-team player early in his career and providing depth on the Sun Devils' offensive line last season.

Sarafin has been involved in research for football-related concussions and has been active in the community with youth sports and the Tillman Scholars program.

''We are a brotherhood that is not defined by cultural and personal differences, but rather an individual's commitment to the Sun Devil Way,'' Arizona State coach Todd Graham said. ''Chip is a fifth-year senior and a Scholar Baller, a graduate and a master's student. His commitment to service is unmatched and it is clear he is on his way to leading a successful life after his playing career, a goal that I have for every student-athlete. Diversity and acceptance are two of the pillars of our program, and he has full support from his teammates and the coaching staff.''

Sarafin also received support from Sam via Twitter.

''Congratulations Chip Sarafin for having the courage to be yourself. Wishing you and your teammates much success this season. (hash)courage2014,'' Sam tweeted.

~18 months ago there were no out active players in any major US men's team sports.

Since then we have had the first gay:

Active NBA player
Active Division 1 college basketball player
NFL draft pick
Active Division 1 college football player

and I believe there was a small school football kid who came out before this, but maybe I am thinking of the UMass basketball kid.