[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 05, 2014, 03:54:40 PM
I guess that could be correct, but otherwise he was probably reacting to the stress he was under to do something that he, a well educated and intelligent man (BA, Duke University, JD, George Washington University) knew was wrong but felt compelled to pretend to entertain anyway.  Further, as a Catholic I doubt he's very religious and obviously every politician here has to pretend to be a religious nut to have any prayer of being elected, so I would imagine that is something of a source of cognitive dissonance for him.

That makes the crying odd though. If the dissonance stems from him wanting to tolerate gays but feeling political pressure not - why cry when you take the action you want to take? Unless the tears are that you realized you are doing something that is politically dangerous and does anyone want a politician who cries about that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

If you cry and mention Jesus everybody in Kentucky will forgive you for your sins.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Lovely that the Kentucky governor is going to hire other counsel.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2014, 11:40:27 AM

I guess I was wrong on the whole Christian forgiveness thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on March 07, 2014, 11:40:27 AM
He's a giant hick, unlike Conway, so it's not surprising.  His hick homophobia outweighs his membership in the Democratic party.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sheilbh

So England will be enjoying the first day of gay weddings with a televised gay wedding musical presided over by Stephen Fry :mellow:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/skarlan/stephen-fry-is-going-to-host-a-televised-same-sex-wedding-mu
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

So gay marriage is now a thing in England and Wales:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/heartwarming-pictures-from-the-first-day-of-equal-marriag
People were asked what gay marriage meant to them, these guys seem to get that it just means more weddings :w00t:

Here's a piece from gay and human rights activist Peter Tatchell (:wub:):
http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/03/it-was-long-fight-equal-marriage-finally-it-s-here

I particularly like his outing of the sort of 'establishment' gay rights campaigners as not being pretty opposed to it.

And the gay wedding musical happened. I missed it :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 09:05:02 PM
So he prayed to be bigoted and God failed him?

Homophobia: The God That Failed.  :(
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Malthus

This will be of particular interest to our Canuck law-talkers.

QuoteThe Law Society of Upper Canada has requested submissions in connection with its consideration of the application of Trinity Western University ("TWU") for accreditation of its proposed law school. TWU is a private Christian faith-based university in British Columbia and intends to offer a law school program commencing in September 2015. In December 2013, the Federation of Law Societies of Canada determined that the proposed law program met the national requirement, which establishes the knowledge and skills that all applicants for entry to the bar admission programs of the law societies in the Canadian common law jurisdictions must possess. Now it falls to each provincial law society to decide whether to accredit TWU's proposed law school and licence its graduates to practice law. Attendance at an accredited law school is a prerequisite to licensure to practice law in Ontario.

The issue of concern to the Law Society is the "Community Covenant Agreement" (the "Covenant") which all TWU students, faculty and staff are required to sign. It requires adherence to a code of conduct which, among other things, requires abstention from "sexual intimacy that violates the sacredness of marriage between a man and a woman". The Covenant discriminates against members of the LGBTQ community, unmarried persons and members of certain religious groups. If accreditation were granted, the effect of the Covenant would be to exclude such persons from a portion of the limited number of places available at accredited law schools for those persons who wish to qualify to practice law in Ontario.

The Advocates' Society established a task force to consider whether TAS should make a submission to the Law Society and, if so, what that submission ought to be. The recommendation of the task force, approved by TAS' Board of Directors, is that TAS ask that the Law Society not approve the application for accreditation by TWU. Amongst other things, TAS' submission notes that:

(1) the legislation governing the Law Society requires that in carrying out its duties, the Law Society "advance the cause of justice and the rule of law" and "protect the public interest" and

(2) the Law Society's Rules of Professional Conduct require members to "respect the dignity and worth of all persons and treat all persons equally without discrimination".

As TWU's proposed law school discriminates in the granting of admission on prohibited grounds, by virtue of the Covenant, TAS believes it would be inappropriate for the Law Society to grant TWU's application for accreditation.

The full submission of The Advocates' Society to the Law Society is available by clicking here.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Where can I click for the full submission of Scarlett Johansson?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Eh like anybody has time for sexual intimacy in law school anyway.

Barrister

Eh - we have all sorts of religious post-secondary institutions in this country that no one has ever been bothered about.  I can't see why having an evangelical law school is any worse than any other sort.

Now, whether BC needs 4 law schools is a whole different question...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on April 01, 2014, 04:31:58 PM
Eh like anybody has time for sexual intimacy in law school anyway.

the amount of work in law school is exaggerated, at least in the first year. read 40 pages every day, work on a paper, and condense notes into an outline. cramming for finals takes time, though

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 09:05:02 PMSo he prayed to be bigoted and God failed him?

why assume the crying was for a negative reason? sounds like the guy took a stand for what he believed in and was moved over it

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2014, 04:40:17 PM
Eh - we have all sorts of religious post-secondary institutions in this country that no one has ever been bothered about.  I can't see why having an evangelical law school is any worse than any other sort.

The notion (agree with it or not) is that law is different - it is supposed to be 'about' upholding the basic values of our society, in a way that (say) dentistry or math is not. Thus, a law school that requires students to sign a pledge that is inimical to those values should not be accredited.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on April 02, 2014, 08:45:12 AM
Quote from: Barrister on April 01, 2014, 04:40:17 PM

The notion (agree with it or not) is that law is different - it is supposed to be 'about' upholding the basic values of our society, in a way that (say) dentistry or math is not. Thus, a law school that requires students to sign a pledge that is inimical to those values should not be accredited.

Except that:

QuoteWhereas Canada is founded upon principles that recognize the supremacy of God and the rule of law:

TWU already went through this fight when they were accredited to teach education - and surely teachers are "about upholding the basic values of society" in an even more significant way than lawyers.

I see this as a Vikingesque anti-religion fight - nothing more.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.