[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Caliga

Remind me when your hotel reservations are again, loverboy?  I've forgotten. :blush:

P.S. Fabulous!
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

katmai

You demand too much of our man Caliga!

Oh you meant me :cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Sheilbh

So this is unexpected but nice:
QuoteMyanmar couple in 'first public gay wedding ceremony'
South East Asia correspondent Samantha Hawley and staff
Updated Tue 4 Mar 2014, 9:02am AEDT

PHOTO: Tin Ko Ko (R) and Myo Min Htet (L) celebrate their wedding reception in Yangon, in what's believed to be the first ever public gay marriage in Myanmar (AFP)
MAP: Burma
A gay couple has married in a lavish public ceremony in Myanmar, in an event said to be the first of its kind.

The marriage does not enjoy any legal status but followed the customs of other Myanmar weddings.

Dressed in matching traditional Myanmar clothes and garlanded with jasmine, Tin Ko Ko, 38, and Myo Min Htet, 28, exchanged rings in an upmarket Yangon hotel.

The two men arrived in solemn procession followed by six groomsmen in front of some 200 guests.

"My family accepted me," Tin Ko Ko said.

"I am so glad that my parents were understanding... but he had to overcome many difficulties from his family."

The pair, who both work for rights groups, have lived together for 10 years without publicly declaring their relationship.

"We both tried hard to make this a reality," Myo Min Htet said.

"I am almost speechless, I am so happy."

It's a sign of the rapidly changing social norms in the conservative nation.

The marriage won't enjoy legal status but the event was photographed and splashed across the front pages of several local newspapers.

"This is like a challenge to our neighbours, who do not understand us and see us as very strange people," said Aung Myo Min, from the rights group Equality Myanmar.

Same sex relations are criminalised in Myanmar although the law is not strictly enforced.
Also well done Burma for having an attractive couple as your first same-sex union, instead of the usual worthy 80 year olds :P
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 04, 2014, 08:46:24 PM
Also well done Burma for having an attractive couple as your first same-sex union, instead of the usual worthy 80 year olds :P

Fair :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Oh that reminds me: today the Attorney General of Kentucky announced that he would refuse to appeal a judge's decision to require the Commonwealth to recognize gay marriages performed elsewhere.  Notably he started crying in the middle of his announcement:

http://youtu.be/xUqqUCPAOYg

garbon

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 08:55:43 PM
Why did he cry?
I watched it a while back, but I think he broke down when he said that he prayed over what to do but in the end decided that he could not defend a law that supports discrimination.

garbon

Quote from: Caliga on March 04, 2014, 09:00:00 PM
Quote from: garbon on March 04, 2014, 08:55:43 PM
Why did he cry?
I watched it a while back, but I think he broke down when he said that he prayed over what to do but in the end decided that he could not defend a law that supports discrimination.

So he prayed to be bigoted and God failed him?

Caliga

Admiral Yi

:yeahright:

Cal said he prayed over what to do, i.e., he was looking for guidance, not for help being bigoted.

garbon

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 04, 2014, 10:33:14 PM
:yeahright:

Cal said he prayed over what to do, i.e., he was looking for guidance, not for help being bigoted.

Not sure how you explain the crying if that is all that happened.

Caliga

Jack Conway was the 2010 Democratic nominee for US Senate from Kentucky, and lost to everyone's favorite guy Rand Paul.  So he's a pretty high visibility dude here.

A lot of people said they were crocodile tears and the guy was just using the opportunity to attention whore given his obvious political ambitions.  I guess that could be correct, but otherwise he was probably reacting to the stress he was under to do something that he, a well educated and intelligent man (BA, Duke University, JD, George Washington University) knew was wrong but felt compelled to pretend to entertain anyway.  Further, as a Catholic I doubt he's very religious and obviously every politician here has to pretend to be a religious nut to have any prayer of being elected, so I would imagine that is something of a source of cognitive dissonance for him.