[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grallon on July 02, 2009, 12:39:37 PM
When are american conservatives *not* freaking out about something or other?  We should speed them on their way to their god.  <_<
When are American liberals not freaking out about something?  That's what people at the political fringe do.

Josquius

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on July 03, 2009, 12:11:02 PM
Gay sex decriminalized in Delhi. Only in one city? Does this mean that India's newest "ghetto" will have decent property values as all of India's gays move to Delhi?

Ey?
The BBC said it was the lot....I wonder what the situation is.
I guess this one does make more sense but still, dissapointing.

Quotewell I think there would be more (in NA at least are Tories religious bigots in UK?)  queer conservatives if conservatives these days were the old school fiscal conservatives of yore as opposed to the self righteous skygod worshipers they are now.
Old school Tories were, the main party these days though is totally secular.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Dr King turning, spinning in his grave.

QuoteJuly 10, 2009
Marriage Equality Reverend Under Fire

A 50-year-old civil rights organization founded by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. is seeking to oust the president of its Los Angeles chapter over his support of marriage equality in California, reports The New York Times.

The Atlanta-based Southern Christian Leadership Conference has threatened to remove the Reverend Eric Lee, who actively worked to prevent the passage of Proposition 8, the California ballot measure to ban same-sex marriage.

Lee told the Times that his work against Prop. 8 created tension with black clergy, but said he believes that banning same-sex marriage "is a clear violation of civil rights and I have to speak up on that."

In May, Lee received a call and two subsequent letters from the national board of directors of his organization threatening him with suspension or removal. The organization has a publicly neutral stance on the issue.

The local board of directors, who confirmed Lee knowing his stance on marriage equality, stand behind the reverend and his actions.

Lee says he sees failures in the leadership of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference; he told the Times, "Dr. King would be turning over in his grave right now."

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid97484.asp

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on July 11, 2009, 04:25:11 AM
Why?  King was black and Christian, and thus likely hated fags as well.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: Neil on July 11, 2009, 09:41:21 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 11, 2009, 04:25:11 AM
Why?  King was black and Christian, and thus likely hated fags as well.

Marjory the Trash Heap says:
QuoteThere are opposing views even within the King family — regarding the slain civil rights leader's religious and political views about homosexuals, lesbians, bisexuals and transgendered people. King's widow Coretta said publicly that she believed her husband would have supported gay rights. However, his daughter Bernice believed he would have been opposed to them.[178] The King Center includes discrimination, and lists homophobia as one of its examples, in its list of "The Triple Evils" that should be opposed.[179]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Coretta King was a very vocal opponent of anti-gay discrimination and homophobia. She has lent her support to several gay rights rallies and also campaigned in anti-HIV advocacy groups. I think her views are more representative of the (hypothetical) views of Dr King than those of their daughter.

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on July 11, 2009, 10:34:45 AM
Coretta King was a very vocal opponent of anti-gay discrimination and homophobia. She has lent her support to several gay rights rallies and also campaigned in anti-HIV advocacy groups. I think her views are more representative of the (hypothetical) views of Dr King than those of their daughter.
I dunno, that she has a vested interest in gay rights whereas the daughter doesn't would seem to point away from that.
Looking at how old the daughter is though she would have been only five when her dad died so it would seem there the wife would know better.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

How like a fag, to try and claim anyone and everyone he can.

Kill yourself today.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Gay couple detained near Mormon plaza after kiss
AP

By ELIZABETH WHITE, Associated Press Writer Elizabeth White, Associated Press Writer – Fri Jul 10, 11:37 pm ET

SALT LAKE CITY – A gay couple say they were detained by security guards on a plaza owned by the Mormon church and later cited by police, claiming it stemmed from a kiss on the cheek.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said that the men became argumentative and refused to leave after being asked to stop their "inappropriate behavior." The men say they were targeted because they are gay.

Matt Aune said he and his partner, Derek Jones, were walking home from a concert nearby on Thursday night, cutting through the plaza near the Salt Lake City Mormon temple.

Aune, 28, said he gave Jones, 25, a hug and kiss and that the two were then approached by a security guard, who asked them to leave, telling them they were being inappropriate and that public displays of affection aren't allowed on the property. He said other guards arrived and the men were handcuffed.

"We asked what we were doing wrong," Aune told The Associated Press.

Church spokeswoman Kim Farah said in a statement Friday that the men were "politely asked to stop engaging in inappropriate behavior — just as any other couple would have been."

"They became argumentative and used profanity and refused to leave the property," she said. The church did not immediately respond to a request for more comment.

Police later arrived and both men were cited with misdemeanor trespassing, Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Robin Snyder said.

"It doesn't matter what they were asked to leave for," Snyder said. "If they are asked to leave and don't they are ... trespassing."

The church has been the target of protests over its support of a ban on gay marriage in California.

*pokes thread*
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Martinus

Neil

Valmy

He certainly was a big supporter of Bayard Rustin for somebody who didn't like homosexuals.

QuoteThe Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said that the men became argumentative and refused to leave after being asked to stop their "inappropriate behavior." The men say they were targeted because they are gay.
You think?  The Mormons are a bunch of hateful assholes anyway.  I predict that at some point in the future they will back track on the gay thing just like they did with the racist thing. if it ever becomes embarrasing.  The Mormon God changes his mind alot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

QuoteKiss In Held to Protest LDS Church
By Julie Bolcer

Dozens of gay couples held a kiss in at Temple Square in Salt Lake City on Sunday to protest the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints for detaining a gay couple who kissed on church property, reports KTSU-TV in the following video.

During the incident, first reported by the Salt Lake Tribune, Matt Aune and Derek Jones say that LDS church security detained them on Thursday and Salt Lake City police cited them for trespassing after they kissed on the check on Main Street Plaza. The property was sold to the Church by the city in the late 90s, although many couples continue to pose affectionately for photos on the space.

Aune, 28, and Jones, 25, told the newspaper that they were walking back to their nearby home in the evening when they crossed the plaza holding hands, then stopped to kiss on the cheek. Several security guards arrived and told the couple that public displays of affection are not allowed on church property.

When Aune and Jones protested, they were handcuffed, and police were called. Aune and Jones were banned from LDS Church headquarters campus for six months.

Kim Farah, a spokeswoman for the LDS Church, provided a written statement to the Salt Lake Tribune saying that the detainment had nothing to do with Aune and Jones being gay.

Aune and Jones were "asked to stop engaging in inappropriate behavior just as any other couple would have been. They became argumentative and used profanity and refused to leave the property. They were arrested and then given a citation for criminal trespass by SLPD," said the LDS Church.

http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid97881.asp