[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Yeah I don't see why they wouldn't just say they are not entitled to a hearing as same sex spouses are not recognized in this state. No need to bring in the specter of child brides.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Is that your final position Grab On?  First I was being charitable, then they chose a poor comparison, then they shouldn't have made any comparison.

The dude was trying to explain that procedurally the hearing process is *not* meant as a venue for advocating in a change in the laws.  I think he communicated that.

I also think this is a case of manufactured grievance, as evidenced by Meri's mischaracterization.

garbon

Actually my position is the same all along when people feel like making poor comparisons, they should just avoid them.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/same-sex-couples-celebrate-then-call-a-cpa-2013-06-26

It's official. The Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Department of Treasury ruled today that all same-sex marriages will be recognized at the federal level for tax purposes.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Neil on August 28, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Children marrying is a consent issue.  Gays marrying is an issue of them being disgusting and that we shouldn't encourage Martinusism.

Unfortunately, in this case, there's a bad case of Martinusism going on with the analogies presented by the state attorneys.  It's a lose-lose case.
Experience bij!

merithyn

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 29, 2013, 05:32:59 PM
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/same-sex-couples-celebrate-then-call-a-cpa-2013-06-26

It's official. The Internal Revenue Service and the U.S. Department of Treasury ruled today that all same-sex marriages will be recognized at the federal level for tax purposes.

Unfortunately, they are not recognizing civil unions, so couples in Illinois are still pretty fucked. My friends had a civil ceremony last spring, are having their religious ceremony this fall, and now are planning to go across the state lines to Iowa for a marriage in November.  It's ridiculous. :rolleyes:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Oooo.... maybe the folks in Illinois have a chance after all. :w00t:

QuoteNew Jersey must allow gay couples to marry starting Oct. 21, because the state is unconstitutionally denying federal benefits to same-sex couples, a judge ruled Friday.

Superior Court Judge Mary Jacobson sided almost entirely with a group of same-sex couples and gay rights groups who sued the state in July, days after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down key parts of a law that blocked the federal government from granting benefits to gay couples.

New Jersey allows same-sex couples to enter into civil unions that give them some of the same legal protections as married couples, but Jacobson said the two labels — marriage for opposite-sex couples and civil unions for same-sex couples — means gay couples are excluded "from certain federal benefits that legally married same-sex couples are able to enjoy."

Same-sex couples who include a federal employee, those who want to use the federal Family Medical Leave Act or those who file joint federal tax returns are being hurt by the state's recognition of civil unions but not gay marriage, she wrote.

"Every day that the state does not allow same-sex couples to marry, plaintiffs are being harmed," Jacobson wrote in a 53-page opinion.

By making her order effective more than three weeks from now, the state has time to appeal to a higher court and ask for a delay to the start of same-sex marriage.

Gov. Chris Christie did not immediately say whether he would appeal, but he opposes gay marriage and had his administration defend the state's current policy this far.

"The judge has issued a very thorough and powerful opinion that shows the correctness under the constitution of our claims," said Hayley Gorenberg, a Lambda Legal lawyer who prepared the lawsuit. "It shows the deep error the state's been making in refusing to let people marry on an equal basis."

Gay marriage supporters were planning to rally Friday night in Montclair to celebrate the ruling.

Thirteen states now recognize same-sex marriages, including the entire Northeast except for Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

It's been a major political and legal issue in New Jersey for more than a decade.

The state Supreme Court ruled unanimously in 2006 that same sex-couples had the right to the same legal protections as married couples, but a 4-3 majority ruled that the state did not have to go as far as calling those benefits marriage. Lawmakers responded by quickly creating civil unions.

In 2011, six couples and children of several of them asked the courts to find that the civil union law was not fulfilling its intention because it created a separate classification for gay couples that not everyone understood.

The state Supreme Court then decided against giving it emergency status and instead sent the issue back to a lower court.

But the U.S. Supreme Court ruling in June on the Defense of Marriage Act changed the argument and the couples asked anew for speedy relief.

Federal agencies have rolled out a variety of policies on whether they will recognize marriages of any gay couples, or only those in states that recognize their vows.

The Christie administration argued that it's the federal government's patchwork of policies rather than the state that is keeping lesbian and gay couples in New Jersey from having the same federal benefits as heterosexual couples.

Even if Friday's summary judgment is ultimately rejected on appeal, the broader case would remain, though it would likely take several months before a trial could be held.

The question of gay marriage is also in the Legislature.

In 2012, lawmakers passed a law to allow gay marriage, but Christie, a Republican who is up for re-election in November and is considered a possible contender for president in 2016, vetoed it. He said the question should be decided by a vote of the people rather than by judges or elected representatives.

On Friday, Sheila Oliver, the Democratic speaker of the state Assembly, called on Christie not to appeal the ruling.

Meanwhile, a coalition of gay rights groups has been pushing lawmakers to override the veto by January.

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

So the Patriarch of the Duck Dynasty show is getting cut from the show for anti-gay remarks. Guess the network(A&E) and the show's target audience don't really match up that well.  :hmm:
http://tv.yahoo.com/blogs/tv-news/-duck-dynasty--star-s-anti-gay-remarks-spark-outrage-134231650.html
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Valmy

I was pretty sure the only straight male figure skater was Paul Wylie.  Should have won the gold in 1992.  Viktor Petrenko pfft.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 02:49:21 PM
I was pretty sure the only straight male figure skater was Paul Wylie.  Should have won the gold in 1992.  Viktor Petrenko pfft.

Scott Hamilton.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on December 19, 2013, 02:49:21 PM

Elvis Stojko, Kurt Browning and Scott Hamilton - to name just a few.

If we consider all the couples male skaters the list gets very long very fast.

Admiral Yi

Were those guys all filmed with woodies while performing crotch lift?