[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

merithyn

Gays marrying is no different than 12 year olds doing so

QuotePa. Attorneys: Gays, Like Children, Can't Marry
HARRISBURG, Pa. August 29, 2013 (AP)
Associated Press

Marriage licenses given to same-sex couples in the state are invalid because the couples were barred from marrying, just like 12-year-olds, Republican Gov. Tom Corbett's attorneys said Wednesday.

Corbett's administration has filed a lawsuit seeking to block same-sex marriage licenses in suburban Philadelphia, where Montgomery County Register of Wills D. Bruce Hanes has issued more than 150 to gay and lesbian couples since July 24.

State attorneys said in a court filing on Wednesday the gay marriage licenses have no "value or legitimacy" and can't be defended in court. They compared gay and lesbian couples to children, who can't marry because a 1996 law says marriage is between a man and a woman.

"Had the clerk issued marriage licenses to 12-year-olds in violation of state law, would anyone seriously contend that each 12-year-old ... is entitled to a hearing on the validity of his 'license'?" the state wrote, according to a story on the Philly.com news website (http://bit.ly/1fk0xSf).

The state Department of Health brought the case against Hanes. Hanes, who says the state law is unconstitutional and discriminatory, is scheduled to appear in Commonwealth Court next week in the case.

More than 30 gay and lesbian couples that received marriage licenses from Hanes say a ruling against him could invalidate their marriages, and they've sought to participate in the case.

The state opposes their participation and their efforts to defend what it calls their "purported marriage licenses." It said the gay and lesbian couples should file their own lawsuits or wait to see what happens with a federal challenge to the state's marriage law.

"This case is about one thing: whether a local official may willfully disregard a statute based on his personal legal opinion that the statute is unconstitutional," the state's lawyers wrote.

The Commonwealth Court last week laid out the topics to be argued at the Sept. 4 hearing on the marriage licenses issued by Hanes. It wants lawyers to focus on whether the court has jurisdiction, given that Hanes is a judicial officer.

Other questions are whether issuing marriage licenses is a judicial act and whether the constitutionality of the state's marriage law can be raised as a defense.

Also at issue are whether the Department of Health has standing to sue, and, if not, the effect of Democratic Attorney General Kathleen Kane's delegation of defense of the law to the governor's legal staff.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Neil

Children marrying is a consent issue.  Gays marrying is an issue of them being disgusting and that we shouldn't encourage Martinusism.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 01:35:20 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 10:49:37 PM

No one said this Meri.

The problem is that there really is no need for that example except to create a linkage between the two scenarios on the basis of how appalling one finds the first.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 01:35:20 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 28, 2013, 10:49:37 PM

No one said this Meri.

So if I said 'Yi's posts, like those by an insane delusional nutcase, are not worth reading' I would not be creating an equivalence between you and crazy delusional nutcases?  I mean granted I did not directly say that, but that is really splitting hairs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 07:03:39 AM
The problem is that there really is no need for that example except to create a linkage between the two scenarios on the basis of how appalling one finds the first.

The linkage he made was that neither have grounds for a hearing.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 12:41:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 07:03:39 AM

The linkage he made was that neither have grounds for a hearing.

That's rather charitable.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 12:59:54 PM

I re-read the article, and I think it depends on whether you take the leed as an accurate characterization of the state's position or not.  Based on the direct quote I concluded that it was an inaccurate characterization, but I can see how your interpretation could be different.  Maybe it's true that the PA AG's office did in fact say there is no difference between gays marrying and 12 year olds marrying, it just wasn't directly quoted.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 29, 2013, 01:09:24 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 12:59:54 PM

I re-read the article, and I think it depends on whether you take the leed as an accurate characterization of the state's position or not.  Based on the direct quote I concluded that it was an inaccurate characterization, but I can see how your interpretation could be different.  Maybe it's true that the PA AG's office did in fact say there is no difference between gays marrying and 12 year olds marrying, it just wasn't directly quoted.

I think you have to look at what Valm wrote. When making comparisons, one should look to make sure it is apt and not easily open to negative connotations.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:21:32 PM

I think you have to look at what Valm wrote. When making comparisons, one should look to make sure it is apt and not easily open to negative connotations.

Much easier to just assume that I'm an idiot than to read context.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on August 29, 2013, 01:21:32 PM

By definition the comparison he was making was to people who are not legally allowed to marry in Pennsylvania.  What group would you have preferred he make a comparison to instead of minors, that is both apt and not easily open to negative connotations?

Maximus