[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteJune 22, 2009
Gay Kiss Boosts Soap's Ratings
By Julie Bolcer

A kiss between two male characters helped the British soap opera EastEnders bubble to the top of its slot on Friday evening, drawing an estimated 7.9 million viewers on BBC 1.

The controversial kiss is part of a new story line for the long-running soap in which Syed Masood, a Muslim played by Marc Elliot, struggles with his sexuality and faith. During Friday's episode, Masood kissed openly gay character Christian Clarke, played by John Partridge.

According to unofficial figures reported in The Guardian, the kiss on Friday propelled EastEnders to an average of 7.6 million viewers and a 38% percent share between 8 and 8:30 p.m. The number of viewers peaked at 7.9 million in the final 15 minutes of the episode, when the kiss took place.

Last month, when the plotline was revealed, Muslim leaders attacked the direction.

"There's a lack of understanding of Muslims already and I think EastEnders really lost an opportunity to present a normal friendly Muslim character to the British public," Asghar Bokhari of the Muslim Public Affairs Committee told the BBC.

This *is* a normal friendly Muslim character, you towelhead moonworshipping retard. Seriously, is this the "moderate Muslim" movement that is supposed to exist in the UK, at least according to Gupta?

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2009, 07:20:19 AM
This *is* a normal friendly Muslim character, you towelhead moonworshipping retard. Seriously, is this the "moderate Muslim" movement that is supposed to exist in the UK, at least according to Gupta?

There is a lack of understanding about how homophobic and backwards Muslims really are and they missed an opportunity by showing a gay one. :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Hey, you haven't answered my post about "separate but equal". Does it mean you agree with my reasoning? :P

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2009, 08:07:32 AM
Hey, you haven't answered my post about "separate but equal". Does it mean you agree with my reasoning? :P

What you said was theoretically possible but I have a hard time believing once the community agrees to Civil Unions there is really going to be a majority out to persecute gays and make CUs weaker over time.  Rather I believe it would lead directly to marriage and acceptance, like it did in Vermont.  It would not lead to some sort of segregated marriage like Jim Crow, what we have seen up to know I think makes this fear absurd.  If you say that is exactly what is going to happen you need to, you know, have an instance where that happened.

I still have a hard time using the language of civil rights, slavery, Jim Crow, racial segregation and all that enter into this. 
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on June 23, 2009, 08:25:27 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2009, 08:07:32 AM

What you said was theoretically possible but I have a hard time believing once the community agrees to Civil Unions there is really going to be a majority out to persecute gays and make CUs weaker over time.  Rather I believe it would lead directly to marriage and acceptance, like it did in Vermont.

I still have a hard time using the language of civil rights, slavery, Jim Crow, racial segregation and all that enter into this.

Well, it's not like the situation is going to be the same, everywhere, especially in a country as diverse as the US.

Only because people agree to something at a federal or a state level, does not mean that in every single jurisdiction within the US (or every single company or municipality etc.) the majority will be against discrimination.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2009, 08:27:49 AM
Well, it's not like the situation is going to be the same, everywhere, especially in a country as diverse as the US.

Only because people agree to something at a federal or a state level, does not mean that in every single jurisdiction within the US (or every single company or municipality etc.) the majority will be against discrimination.

I am pretty sure every company, municipality, etc... is required to comform to state law.  Clearly we cannot make laws forbidding people to break the law.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 08:40:27 AM
Yeah, civil unions might be an important step towards equality, but ultimately it is a "separate but equal" measure. Anyone who agrees to it, but not to full marriage equality, must be aware of this dishonesty.
Gays already have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex, same as everyone else.  They do not have the right to marry someone of the same sex, a toaster, an animal, a colour or an anime character, same as everyone else.

Homosexuality should be abolished, for the good of all mankind.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

Quote from: Neil on June 23, 2009, 08:44:38 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 22, 2009, 08:40:27 AM
Yeah, civil unions might be an important step towards equality, but ultimately it is a "separate but equal" measure. Anyone who agrees to it, but not to full marriage equality, must be aware of this dishonesty.
Gays already have the right to marry someone of the opposite sex, same as everyone else.  They do not have the right to marry someone of the same sex, a toaster, an animal, a colour or an anime character, same as everyone else.

Homosexuality should be abolished, for the good of all mankind.

Do you mind stopping commenting in my threads? It's not that you are a retarded troll, it's that you seem to be repeating the same things over and over again.

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 23, 2009, 08:27:49 AM

If civil unions are defined as being equal in rights to marriage and equivalent in the eyes of the law, civil unions in those states would seem to be a reasonable comprimise.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

Ok, so more bizarro news from Poland.

The Polish public TV is currently in the hands of a CEO who got there as a nationalist/extreme right-wing/antisemitic/homophobic apparatchik (long story - has to do with the old PiS government, and their minor League of Polish Families coalition partner, who later got into the public TV and ousted PiS appointees and now cannot be recalled until his mandate expires).

So, when yesterday I heard about the Polish GLAAD equivalent protesting about the public TV offering the new spouse and non-married-partner health insurance coverage only to employees in opposite sex relationships I was like "Gee, not much of a surprise."  :rolleyes:

So, today they issue a press release saying they are very sorry, that this was an omission because of the standard wording of the insurance agreement, and it is now being fixed, and they will offer the coverage to same sex partners of employees.

Wtf.  :huh:

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Martinus on June 24, 2009, 11:03:49 AM
Ok, so more bizarro news from Poland.

The Polish public TV is currently in the hands of a CEO who got there as a nationalist/extreme right-wing/antisemitic/homophobic apparatchik (long story - has to do with the old PiS government, and their minor League of Polish Families coalition partner, who later got into the public TV and ousted PiS appointees and now cannot be recalled until his mandate expires).

So, when yesterday I heard about the Polish GLAAD equivalent protesting about the public TV offering the new spouse and non-married-partner health insurance coverage only to employees in opposite sex relationships I was like "Gee, not much of a surprise."  :rolleyes:

So, today they issue a press release saying they are very sorry, that this was an omission because of the standard wording of the insurance agreement, and it is now being fixed, and they will offer the coverage to same sex partners of employees.

Wtf.  :huh:

:Ha Ha: ?

:p
:p

MadImmortalMan

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut church has outraged gay rights advocates by posting a video of members performing an apparent exorcism of a teen's "homosexual demons."

The 20-minute video was posted on YouTube before it was taken down.

Gay youth advocate Robin McHaelen (mih-KAY'-lehn) says the video appears to show abuse. She says she plans to report it to the Connecticut Department of Children and Families.

The boy confirms he is 16 but otherwise has declined to comment.

The Rev. Patricia McKinney of Manifested Glory Ministries in Bridgeport says he is 18 and came to the church on his own seeking help.

She denies the church is prejudiced and says it took care of the youth.

Bridgeport, Conn: Bible Belt.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 25, 2009, 02:30:41 PM

[Jules] Took care of? [/Jules]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

QuoteShe denies the church is prejudiced

They love gay people.  They want to save them all from the demons of gayness.

Ed Anger

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 25, 2009, 02:30:41 PM

BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) - A Connecticut church has outraged gay rights advocates by posting a video of members performing an apparent exorcism of a teen's "homosexual demons."

The 20-minute video was posted on YouTube before it was taken down.

Gay youth advocate Robin McHaelen (mih-KAY'-lehn) says the video appears to show abuse. She says she plans to report it to the Connecticut Department of Children and Families.

The boy confirms he is 16 but otherwise has declined to comment.

The Rev. Patricia McKinney of Manifested Glory Ministries in Bridgeport says he is 18 and came to the church on his own seeking help.

Bridgeport, Conn: Bible Belt.

I loved watching that video.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive