[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

I had a good laugh imagining Jacob translating that on the fly when he reads the Sherlock Holmes stories to his kids.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 21, 2021, 12:22:51 PM
I had a good laugh imagining Jacob translating that on the fly when he reads the Sherlock Holmes stories to his kids.

😄

"My dear Holmes!" Watson exclaimed. "I'm feeling unwell all of a sudden".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Sheilbh

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2021, 12:21:24 PM
By the time I was watching the Flintstones in re-runs, such use already seemed archaic (and giggle-inducing, if you a kid).

Never mind Sherlock Holmes: " 'My dear Holmes!' Watson ejaculated. "I've come over all queer suddenly.' ".
Well that has form:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2021, 12:15:16 PM
I think it's that bisexuals like more than one gender, while pansexuals like all / that gender and sex aren't really a factor in their sexual attraction.

That sounds like the same thing to me.

"Back in my day, all we had was gay and straight, and that was good enough for us!"

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2021, 12:30:34 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 21, 2021, 12:22:51 PM

😄

"My dear Holmes!" Watson exclaimed. "I'm feeling unwell all of a sudden".

I'm not a huge fan of going back and cleaning up the classics. Let kids experience the German folk tales and other stuff in the original form. I'm sure they'll be fine.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2021, 12:33:59 PM
I think it's that bisexuals like more than one gender, while pansexuals like all / that gender and sex aren't really a factor in their sexual attraction.

"Back in my day, all we had was gay and straight, and that was good enough for us!"

Pansexuals would also be into non-binary/gender-fluid partners.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

viper37

Quote from: Syt on July 21, 2021, 12:48:13 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2021, 12:33:59 PM

Pansexuals would also be into non-binary/gender-fluid partners.

I'm pretty sure bisexuals would be too.

Overclassification gets silly.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2021, 11:35:29 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 21, 2021, 10:57:49 AM
I would like queer as the catch-all and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we get to, but I think it is difficult for the generation where that was just a slur and only a slur.

Interesting. I've watched people have it out (on the internet) on the subject, and in that case it was older folks who'd embraced "queer" as a reclamation project, while younger folks felt it didn't reflect them and was just a slur.

A complete tangent: I've been reading the Lord of the Rings to my son, and Tolkien uses the word "queer" quite a lot. I've found that I'm much more comfortable saying "weird" when reading the story due to the usage drift since the book was written.

Yeah, queer seems an odd one to me.
I know how LGBT folk use it and how it is used against them. But the original meaning remains far more valid than that of gay.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Faeelin on April 07, 2009, 01:26:39 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2009, 11:37:11 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on April 07, 2009, 11:33:41 AM
How long will it take before opposing gay marriage becomes politically taboo in the US.  In Canada it took about one Federal election.

It'll take much longer than that.  It's going to be a very, very tough battle in the South.
We'll see.

Right, now, a third of Americans support gay marriage; a third support civil unions.  I think it is probable that most or all of the Northeast will have gay marriage by 2012, with civil unions in Illinois, Oregon, Washington, and California.

Once you get to that point, you're talking about hundreds of millions of Americans who live in states where gays are forming families with state recognition, and the world not ending.

My guess is a supreme court case sometime in the 2020s, but I could be wrong.

I found this when trying to see if we used to bitch about politicization of the US Supreme Court back in the day.

Interesting to see how that matches up to how things played out...but also what we are busy culture warring about here in the 2020s. -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2021/08/19/lgb-alliance-charity-commission-tweet/

QuoteCharity watchdog in talks with anti-trans LGB Alliance after 'hateful' bestiality tweet

The anti-trans group gained charitable status earlier this year in spite of fierce objections from multiple LGBT+ charities and a petition signed by more than 44,000 people.

Further concerns were raised last week when the LGB Alliance posted a tweet that violated Twitter's policy on hateful conduct.

It read: "Adding the + to LGB gives the green light to paraphilias like bestiality – and more – to all be part of one big happy 'rainbow family'. Wake up policy makers.

"LGB people refuse to be used in your artificial and dangerous argument that we must all be lumped together. #NoToHomophobia."

The LGBT+ acronym is used to describe all people who fall under the queer umbrella, including the intersex, asexual and aromantic communities.

The LGB Alliance's offensive tweet has since been deleted and in its place a message says: "This tweet is no longer available because it violated the Twitter rules."

The Charity Commission, the official regulating body for charities in England and Wales, said it was aware of the issue and is in now talks with the LGB Alliance.

A spokesperson said: "We are aware of concerns about recent social media activity by the LGB Alliance, and are engaging with the charity's trustees on this matter. We cannot comment further at this time."

Bev Jackson, co-founder of LGB Alliance, told the Civil Society: "It is never our intention to cause offence but to robustly speak out on issues of concern to LGB people. We believe in free speech and respectful debate and take our responsibilities as a charity very seriously."

To maintain its charitable status the LGB Alliance must abide by the Charities Act 2011 and the Charities (Protection and Social Investment) Act 2016.

The Charity Commission may issue an official warning if it feels the charity has committed a form of misconduct, mismanagement or breach of trust.

The LGB Alliance claimed to the Charity Commission that its purposes are the protection of human rights and the promotion of equality for LGB people.

But in a March 2020 speech, LGB Alliance director Bev Jackson said: "We're applying for charitable status and building an organisation to challenge the dominance of those who promote the damaging theory of gender identity."

The Charity. Commission's decision to register the LGB Alliance as an official charity is now subject to an appeal lodged by the trans children's charity Mermaids.

The crowdfunded appeal is backed by the Good Law Project, Gendered Intelligence, TransActual, LGBT+ Consortium and LGBT Foundation. A fundraising page opened in June and has so far raised nearly £65,000 against a target of £80,000.

"Charitable status is for those who serve the public good," said Jolyon Maugham, director of the Good Law Project.

"Denigrating trans people, attacking those who speak for them, and campaigning to remove legal protections from them is the very opposite of a public good. We do not believe they meet the threshold tests to be registered as a charity."

Their legal challenge has been filed with the Charity Tribunal and a case management hearing is expected to take place in early September.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

At law school my trusts and equity professor was extremely conservative and you used to be guaranteed a semi-regular rant about two main things: people wanting to take charitable status away from private schools; or New Labour changing charity law to try and cover all NGOs/Third Sector organisations :lol:

But his specific complaint was that the reform which I think - and this could be nonsense: one man's rant, remembered imperfectly - changed from having to only spend money on the charities objects or purposes to a wider "public benefit" concept. The intent was to try and cover the entire non-public/private sector within charities law. In his view the effect was to make charities move into being a bit like pressure/campaign groups, so if you donate you used to know the charity would spend the money on x thing that they were set up to do (helping the homeless) now it is as likely to be spent on campaigining or lobbying which in his view was just wrong - that's why pressure groups were sort of half-in and out of charities law.

So I'm not an expert but I'm not convinced they're in breach of charities law.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

The LBG Alliance is 100% an anti-trans hategroup. That is their sole purpose. The mindblowing thing for me is that they are simply re-using all of the anti-LGB propaganda from earlier decades and aiming it at trans people. Often the only thing being changed is the name of the targeted group. I honestly don't understand how any LGB person is backing this effort other than in a sick "I got mine, fuck everyone else" or some whack collaborator Jüdischer Ordnungsdienst style mindset, especially trans participants like Buck Angel. Once trans people are disposed of, the LGB community will be right back to being public enemy number 1 for the people driving so much of these efforts financially and organizationally.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Sheilbh

I think you're underestimating the genuine TERF-ness in the UK - and I don't know why it is far larger here than elsewhere in the world. That might describe the LGB Alliance - I don't think it works for the Green Party who are currently having a leadership race precisely because of trans issues, or splits in the SNP, or the regular conference arguments over this at Labour and Lib Dem conference, or the turmoil it occasionally causes at the Guardian.

These are not institutions with a big history of being anti LGB, but are pretty incredibly riled and divided on this issue. I think certainly more than the USA, it is genuine radical feminists with a history of being actual feminists here. I don't know why it's so different in the UK - beyond, possibly, the radicalising effect of Mumsnet :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sophie Scholl

Oh, the TERF levels are definitely insanely high in the UK. The fact that so many otherwise reasonable people have embraced anti-trans groupthink and allied with legitimate rightwing groups they never would have dreamed of partnering with anything on and yet not at all having that be a wake-up call that maybe, just maybe they're on the wrong side of things blows my mind. I keep waiting for them to have an, "Are we the baddies?!" moment, but it never comes. Instead they just keep digging in deeper and unearthing more horrid humans to ally with the deeper they dig. I think a lot can be tied to the unique mindset of British condescension paired with never getting beyond Second Wave Feminism and its many, many issues. The men who join in the TERF movement seem to be almost all pretty horrible humans from the start who have found a way to weaponize their misogyny and get rewarded for it by other women. Wild stuff. And incredibly awful, frustrating, and damaging.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."