[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

In theory I think that was broadly what queer was used for (eg queering the text), but it is controversial especially for older people where it's a word that doesn't really have many positive connotations for them.

I tend to stick to LGBT+.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on July 21, 2021, 08:54:28 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to just use the first Q

It would.

But I guess the thing is if you're marginalized, it's important to be able to define yourself and to be able to point out differences and have that taken at face value. So the movement representing the marginalized does its best to be as inclusive as possible in terms of terminology.

... but it would be convenient to have a simple collective term, as LGTTBQQIAAP is a bit of a mouthful.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2021, 10:47:27 AM
It would.

But I guess the thing is if you're marginalized, it's important to be able to define yourself and to be able to point out differences and have that taken at face value. So the movement representing the marginalized does its best to be as inclusive as possible in terms of terminology.

... but it would be convenient to have a simple collective term, as LGTTBQQIAAP is a bit of a mouthful.
Yeah I am aware that "LGBT+" does basically put people who are not widely represented/visible basically in an "etc etc" bit at the end which makes me a little bit dubious about it. But it also seems the more easy to say (and less regularly updated) while acknowledging the identities beyond LGBT.

I would like queer as the catch-all and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we get to, but I think it is difficult for the generation where that was just a slur and only a slur.
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I have heard GSM, Gender and Sexual Minorities, which would be my preference but I cannot really use it since nobody knows what it is. So I use LGBTQ even knowing that that is not entirely inclusive of everybody.

But I will use whatever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 21, 2021, 10:57:49 AM
I would like queer as the catch-all and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where we get to, but I think it is difficult for the generation where that was just a slur and only a slur.

Interesting. I've watched people have it out (on the internet) on the subject, and in that case it was older folks who'd embraced "queer" as a reclamation project, while younger folks felt it didn't reflect them and was just a slur.

A complete tangent: I've been reading the Lord of the Rings to my son, and Tolkien uses the word "queer" quite a lot. I've found that I'm much more comfortable saying "weird" when reading the story due to the usage drift since the book was written.

Admiral Yi

"Pansexual" is new to me.  Is that possibly a back door for bestiality?  :hmm:

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on July 21, 2021, 11:35:29 AM
Interesting. I've watched people have it out (on the internet) on the subject, and in that case it was older folks who'd embraced "queer" as a reclamation project, while younger folks felt it didn't reflect them and was just a slur.
That is interesting. From my experiences I'd say the AIDS generation and older have always seemed more uncomfortable with it, while the one after them were probably more exposed to queer theory and as you say reclaiming the word. But you might be right on younger people - I have seen more young people coming out as "queer" rather than specifically gay/bisexual/trans/non-binary etc. So I am aware that my own attachment and awareness of those distinct identities might ultimately be a thing that younger generations just do away with.

QuoteA complete tangent: I've been reading the Lord of the Rings to my son, and Tolkien uses the word "queer" quite a lot. I've found that I'm much more comfortable saying "weird" when reading the story due to the usage drift since the book was written.
:lol: Yeah. I can see why you'd do that.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

I feel like queer often gets trotted out by people who want to join the "special club". -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2021, 11:41:43 AM

:huh:

No its about being attracted to people rather than gender/sex.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2021, 11:41:43 AM
No :lol:

But this is where my crotchety old man comes up because I have friends who are pansexual etc - and in every case I don't understand why they can't just say they're in a good old fashioned open relationship, or identify as French <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Malthus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 21, 2021, 10:44:32 AM
In theory I think that was broadly what queer was used for (eg queering the text), but it is controversial especially for older people where it's a word that doesn't really have many positive connotations for them.

I would go with that, but it has so much baggage - as you and others note, its use as a slur.

Maybe the new generation doesn't see it that way?

I can never keep track of this stuff - like depending on how old you are, "gay" is either a completely objective term to describe male homosexuals, a term used like "queer" to describe anyone who is covered by the spectrum, or a term that means "lame or bad".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2021, 11:44:01 AM

How's that different than bisexual?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2021, 11:49:13 AM

I would go with that, but it has so much baggage - as you and others note, its use as a slur.

I can never keep track of this stuff - like depending on how old you are, "gay" is either a completely objective term to describe male homosexuals, a term used like "queer" to describe anyone who is covered by the spectrum, or a term that means "lame or bad".

I am old enough to remember when gay meant happy.  Watched a lot of Flinstone cartoons - "You'll have a gay old time".

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2021, 12:05:59 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 21, 2021, 11:44:01 AM

How's that different than bisexual?

I think it's that bisexuals like more than one gender, while pansexuals like all / that gender and sex aren't really a factor in their sexual attraction.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 21, 2021, 12:09:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on July 21, 2021, 11:49:13 AM

I am old enough to remember when gay meant happy.  Watched a lot of Flinstone cartoons - "You'll have a gay old time".

By the time I was watching the Flintstones in re-runs, such use already seemed archaic (and giggle-inducing, if you a kid).

Never mind Sherlock Holmes: " 'My dear Holmes!' Watson ejaculated. "I've come over all queer suddenly.' ".
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius