[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: garbon on November 02, 2020, 08:59:12 AM
Good to see the Vatican has clarified they are still bigoted. After all we wouldn't want to think the Pope's comments in favor of same sex unions are an official church position...
he just says he's againt "marriage" because that has a religious significance.

The Vatican is much less bigoted than your average Republican.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

merithyn

Quote from: viper37 on November 03, 2020, 07:59:17 PM
Good to see the Vatican has clarified they are still bigoted. After all we wouldn't want to think the Pope's comments in favor of same sex unions are an official church position...
he just sais he's againt "marriage" because that has a religious significance.

You know, you're not wrong.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

No they're just loons
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

viper37

Quote from: 11B4V on November 05, 2020, 01:00:35 AM

No they're just loons
it's a religion.  not many organized religion are tolerant toward homosexuality.
Compared to what it was with John Paul II and Benedict XVI, the Vatican has made a lot of progress.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jul/18/dozens-arrested-in-los-angeles-as-anti-trans-protest-outside-spa-turns-violent

QuoteDozens arrested in Los Angeles as anti-trans protest outside spa turns violent

Dozens of people have been arrested in Los Angeles following a chaotic and at times violent demonstration by anti-transgender protesters who targeted a Koreatown spa that has a trans-inclusive policy allowing trans women to use women's facilities.

Saturday marked the second weekend of violent protests this month in the streets around Wi Spa, a neighborhood business that has found itself at the heart of a right-wing media storm over an alleged incident in which a customer filmed herself complaining about a trans woman in the women's area of the spa.

The far-right protesters called for a boycott of Wi Spa and chanted baseless claims about paedophilia, as women carrying signs reading "protect female spaces" and "It's worse in women's shelters" marched alongside men wearing helmets and masks that covered their faces.

Calls to defend "female spaces" and "women's shelters" have become rallying cries of anti-trans groups, who have falsely suggested that trans-inclusive policies endanger cis women. California has for years had laws in place that allow trans people to use facilities that match their gender.

The chants and signs in Los Angeles on Saturday highlighted the convergence of anti-trans activism with other strains of far-right activism. Many demonstrators chanted "Save our children," a slogan taken up by QAnon conspiracy theorists, whose ideology is centered on an elaborate narrative about a cabal of influential paedophiles. Other demonstrators wore shirts pledging to murder leftwing activists, with reference to rightwing death squads in Chile in the 1970s. According to multiple protesters, Arthur Schaper, the leader of the California chapter of an anti-LGBT hate group, arrived early to the protest outside Wi Spa and took refuge behind a line of police officers as trans rights protesters heckled him.

For hours on Saturday, the neighborhood around Wi Spa was filled with lines of police in riot helmets and clashes between police and protesters, with reports of less-lethal weapons being used against the trans rights and anti-fascist activists who showed up as part of a counter-protest against the far-right demonstrators. The volatile protests, in the middle of an ordinary Saturday, left some passers-by confused and fearful.

A Los Angeles police department spokesperson said police made several dozen arrests for failure to disperse after declaring an unlawful assembly shortly after 11am. LAPD also appeared to fire rubber bullets at trans rights demonstrators from a close distance, despite a recent judge's ruling restricting the department's use of certain "less lethal" projectile launchers against protesters. A Guardian journalist who tried to interview far-right protesters was chased, pushed, and shoved to the ground.

:(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Bad, but what does it have to do with gay stuff?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

OK? I mean this is a gay thread, not an LGBT+ thread. There's even an active transgender megathread. But now I know the reasoning, thanks. I was just curious.

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on July 19, 2021, 05:01:01 AM
OK? I mean this is a gay thread, not an LGBT+ thread. There's even an active transgender megathread. But now I know the reasoning, thanks. I was just curious.

Actually, if you look back we've posts across the LGBT spectrum in this thread.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on July 19, 2021, 05:02:19 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 19, 2021, 05:01:01 AM

Actually, if you look back we've posts across the LGBT spectrum in this thread.

Languish cannot stay on-topic. :(

Syt

https://abouthungary.hu/blog/pm-orban-announces-referendum-on-child-protection-law-the-future-of-our-children-is-at-stake

QuotePM Orbán announces referendum on child protection law: The future of our children is at stake

Prime Minister Orbán took to his Facebook page to announce five questions that will be put to voters in an upcoming referendum on Hungary's child protection law. Five years ago, the PM said, it was a referendum and the common will of the people that stopped Brussels from forcing us to accept migrants. We stopped them then, we can stop them now, PM Orbán said.

In a video statement on his Facebook page, Prime Minister Viktor Orbán announced that his government is launching a referendum on Hungary's child protection law.

"Brussels has clearly attacked Hungary in recent weeks over the child protection law," PM Orbán began, adding that the current Hungarian legislation keeps sexual propaganda out of kindergartens, schools, TV shows and advertisements. Now, the PM continued, Brussels is demanding amendments to the Education Act and child protection law.

In Western Europe, "LGBTQ activists visit kindergartens and schools and conduct sexual education classes. They want to do this here in Hungary as well, which is why the bureaucrats in Brussels are threatening us and initiating infringement procedures — that is, abusing their power," PM Orbán said. According to the prime minister, when the pressure on our country is so strong, it is only the common will of the people that can protect Hungary.

Therefore, the Hungarian Government has decided to initiate a referendum on the following five questions:

Do you support the holding of presentations in public education institutions to introduce minors to topics on sexual orientation without the authorization of their parents?
Do you support the promotion of gender reassignment treatments for minors?
Do you support gender reassignment treatments being made available to minors?
Do you support minors being shown, without any restriction, media content of a sexual nature that is capable of influencing their development?
Do you support minors being shown media content that demonstrates gender reassignment?

Ultimately, the prime minister asked Hungarians to say no to these questions, just as they did five years ago when we stopped Brussels from forcing migrants on us.

"We have already succeeded once, and together we will succeed again," PM Orbán said in closing.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

:bleeding:

Such a trap. Yes wins- interpret to the max, no wins- interpret very selectively.  Its done either way.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

I do wish everyone would settle on something easy to remember and agree on. 

There appear to be several different competing versions that include or exclude different identities. For example: What happened to the two-spirited? I'm used to seeing "LGBT" increased to "LGBTQ2+". This other version is longer but has dropped the "2+".

If I had any clout I'd suggest "rainbow" instead, to represent the wide spectrum of identities involved. The rainbow is already the symbol for pride, so it would be easy to remember and has a connection.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius