[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Meanwhile in (surprisingly!) Alabama ....

https://www.al.com/news/2019/05/alabama-public-television-refuses-to-air-arthur-episode-with-gay-wedding.html

QuoteAlabama Public Television refuses to air Arthur episode with gay wedding

Alabama Public Television chose not to air PBS's Arthur episode that included a same-sex marriage.

In the episode, which aired nationwide May 13, Arthur and his friends attend their beloved teacher Mr. Ratburn's nuptials to his partner.

APT preempted the episode by showing a re-run of Arthur.

Mike Mckenzie, director of programming at APT, said APT was notified by WGBH and PBS in mid-April about the episode titled "Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone" and decided to show a re-run. Mckenzie said APT has no plans to air the episode at a later date.

"Parents have trusted Alabama Public Television for more than 50 years to provide children's programs that entertain, educate and inspire," Mckenzie said in an email. "More importantly – although we strongly encourage parents to watch television with their children and talk about what they have learned afterwards – parents trust that their children can watch APT without their supervision. We also know that children who are younger than the 'target' audience for Arthur also watch the program."

APT previously pulled an episode of Arthur in 2005, when Buster, a bunny character in Arthur visited a girl who had two mothers.

"'Our feeling is that we basically have a trust with parents about our programming. This program doesn't fit into that,'' Alabama Public Television's executive then-director Allan Pizzato told AL.com in 2005.

Misty Souder, a substitute teacher in McCalla, saw the celebration of inclusion on social media and recorded the episode to watch with her 9-year-old daughter. She and her daughter were disappointed when the episode, which still was named "Mr. Ratburn and the Special Someone," turned out to be a re-run. Souder reached out to APT and used the experience to teach her daughter about the importance of speaking out for the minority groups.

"I just want her to be aware," Souder said. "There's too much going on not to stand up for stuff, even if it's Arthur. I never thought I'd be going to battle for a gay rat wedding, but here we are."

The episode is available online at pbs.org.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Sweet home Talibama.

Ok that is probably not fair but as a Texan it is nice when other states are getting it instead of us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Not unusual, but I still laughed  :blush:
https://is.gd/aOv77P
Conversion therapy center founder who sought to turn LGBTQ Christians straight says he's gay, rejects 'cycle of self shame'
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53039864

QuotePolish election: Andrzej Duda says LGBT 'ideology' worse than communism

Polish President Andrzej Duda has called the promotion of LGBT rights an "ideology" more destructive than communism, in a campaign speech.

He is an ally of the ruling nationalist Law and Justice Party (PiS), and is seeking re-election on 28 June.

He said his parents' generation had struggled against communist ideology for 40 years and "they didn't fight for this so that a new ideology would appear that is even more destructive".

Critics say PiS has an anti-gay agenda.

The LGBT rights group ILGA-Europe says Poland is the worst-performing country in the EU in terms of LGBT rights, in an index published last month.

PiS won a majority in parliament with a conservative-nationalist agenda strong on Catholic values, including support for traditional families and opposition to gay marriage.

Speaking to supporters in Brzeg, southwestern Poland, Mr Duda said "parents are responsible for the sexual education of their children," and "it is not possible for any institutions to interfere in the way parents raise their children".

On 10 June he signed a "Family Charter" of election proposals, including pledges to prevent gay couples from marrying or adopting children and to ban teaching about LGBT issues in schools.

Tensions with EU

Putting LGBT rights activism in the same category as communism can be seen as inflammatory in Poland, where the anti-communist Solidarity movement led the struggle for democracy in the 1980s.

Many Poles agree with the PiS message that communism was a foreign ideology imposed on Poles by the Soviet Union.

PiS has clashed with the EU over judicial reforms which, according to PiS, are necessary to eliminate vestiges of communist-era corruption. Critics in the EU say PiS is politicising the judiciary and violating EU principles.

The European Commission has written to the heads of five Polish provinces expressing concern about resolutions in which they declare themselves "free from LGBT ideology". The EU's executive has reminded them of their duty to guarantee non-discrimination as a core EU value.

'Another ideology'

One of his chief rivals, liberal Warsaw Mayor Rafal Trzaskowski of the centre-right Civic Platform (PO) party, has been criticised by religious conservatives for allowing discussion of LGBT issues in Warsaw schools. The election is likely to go to a second-round runoff vote.

In his speech in Brzeg, Mr Duda said "this is not why my parents' generation for 40 years struggled to expel communist ideology from schools, so that it could not be foisted on children, could not brainwash and indoctrinate them...

"They did not fight so that we would now accept that another ideology, even more destructive to man, would come along, an ideology which under the clichés of respect and tolerance hides deep intolerance".

Rival candidate Robert Biedron of the Left party - an LGBT rights activist - called Mr Duda's Family Charter "a radical document which divides Polish society, introducing standards reminiscent of the most brutal... times of Polish and European history".

More info on the "LGBT Free Zones": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ideology-free_zone

Over 100 municipality have pledged themselves such zones.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

QuotePutting LGBT rights activism in the same category as communism can be seen as inflammatory in Poland

Please name a few countries where this isn't so, BBC.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Syt on June 14, 2020, 08:27:07 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53039864

QuotePolish election: Andrzej Duda says LGBT 'ideology' worse than communism

Polish President Andrzej Duda has called the promotion of LGBT rights an "ideology" more destructive than communism, in a campaign speech.

He is an ally of the ruling nationalist Law and Justice Party (PiS), and is seeking re-election on 28 June.

He said his parents' generation had struggled against communist ideology for 40 years and "they didn't fight for this so that a new ideology would appear that is even more destructive".

Critics say PiS has an anti-gay agenda.

The LGBT rights group ILGA-Europe says Poland is the worst-performing country in the EU in terms of LGBT rights, in an index published last month.

PiS won a majority in parliament with a conservative-nationalist agenda strong on Catholic values, including support for traditional families and opposition to gay marriage.

Speaking to supporters in Brzeg, southwestern Poland, Mr Duda said "parents are responsible for the sexual education of their children," and "it is not possible for any institutions to interfere in the way parents raise their children".

On 10 June he signed a "Family Charter" of election proposals, including pledges to prevent gay couples from marrying or adopting children and to ban teaching about LGBT issues in schools.

Tensions with EU

Putting LGBT rights activism in the same category as communism can be seen as inflammatory in Poland, where the anti-communist Solidarity movement led the struggle for democracy in the 1980s.

Many Poles agree with the PiS message that communism was a foreign ideology imposed on Poles by the Soviet Union.

PiS has clashed with the EU over judicial reforms which, according to PiS, are necessary to eliminate vestiges of communist-era corruption. Critics in the EU say PiS is politicising the judiciary and violating EU principles.

The European Commission has written to the heads of five Polish provinces expressing concern about resolutions in which they declare themselves "free from LGBT ideology". The EU's executive has reminded them of their duty to guarantee non-discrimination as a core EU value.

'Another ideology'

One of his chief rivals, liberal Warsaw Mayor Rafal Trzaskowski of the centre-right Civic Platform (PO) party, has been criticised by religious conservatives for allowing discussion of LGBT issues in Warsaw schools. The election is likely to go to a second-round runoff vote.

In his speech in Brzeg, Mr Duda said "this is not why my parents' generation for 40 years struggled to expel communist ideology from schools, so that it could not be foisted on children, could not brainwash and indoctrinate them...

"They did not fight so that we would now accept that another ideology, even more destructive to man, would come along, an ideology which under the clichés of respect and tolerance hides deep intolerance".

Rival candidate Robert Biedron of the Left party - an LGBT rights activist - called Mr Duda's Family Charter "a radical document which divides Polish society, introducing standards reminiscent of the most brutal... times of Polish and European history".

More info on the "LGBT Free Zones": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_ideology-free_zone

Over 100 municipality have pledged themselves such zones.
I donated to a few organizations trying to fight against this in Poland. Ancestral homeland and all.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

PDH

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on June 14, 2020, 05:38:50 PM
I donated to a few organizations trying to fight against this in Poland. Ancestral homeland and all.

You could just change your name to Angus MacPherson.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

jimmy olsen

GORSUCH, J., delivered the opinion of the Court, in which ROBERTS, C. J., and GINSBURG, BREYER, SOTOMAYOR, and KAGAN, JJ., joined. ALITO, J., filed a dissenting opinion, in which THOMAS, J., joined. KAVANAUGH, J., filed a dissenting opinion.

https://twitter.com/SCOTUSblog/status/1272529876080381954

Quote#SCOTUS rules that federal employment discrimination laws protect LGBT employees
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

So Kavanaugh filed his own opinion. I was under the impression that usually there was usually one joint opinion for pro/contra each? Or does that happen often that dissenters file separate opinions? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on June 15, 2020, 10:07:59 AM
So Kavanaugh filed his own opinion. I was under the impression that usually there was usually one joint opinion for pro/contra each? Or does that happen often that dissenters file separate opinions? :unsure:
The US Supreme Court does this a lot more than the UK, but I think it's fairly common if the dissenters basically disagree for different reasons.

From what I've read the Gorsuch opinion makes sense to me on a very logical and textual basis. I feel like I'd always suspected he was primarily interested in a judicial philosophy (a big chunk I disagree with), while Kavanaugh is just a party hack and this seems like a possible example of that.
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Three votes against banning workplace discrimination? Unbelievable.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Maladict on June 15, 2020, 11:33:56 AM
Three votes against banning workplace discrimination? Unbelievable.

Three votes against finding workplace discrimination prohibited by the constitution.  Not exactly the same thing.