[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2024, 01:28:28 AMTbf, I don't think she's afraid of trans people (phobia), she just hates them. In my opinion, allegedly etc.

She hates men. Trans people get the blowback because they're sneaky men pretending to be women for nefarious means.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

I don't think she's transphobic.  She is against what she calls trans activism. The ease in which people are getting the surgery done and in fact being pushed to do it. She's not an outlier.
She ultimatley believes in two sexes. Male and female. You have one or you don't and that we should continue to be categorized as one or the other. That bathrooms, prisons etc, should continue to use "sex" as a category.

In her words: here

Trans people need and deserve protection. Like women, they're most likely to be killed by sexual partners. Trans women who work in the sex industry, particularly trans women of colour, are at particular risk. Like every other domestic abuse and sexual assault survivor I know, I feel nothing but empathy and solidarity with trans women who've been abused by men.

So I want trans women to be safe. At the same time, I do not want to make natal girls and women less safe. When you throw open the doors of bathrooms and changing rooms to any man who believes or feels he's a woman – and, as I've said, gender confirmation certificates may now be granted without any need for surgery or hormones – then you open the door to any and all men who wish to come inside. That is the simple truth.

It's been clear to me for a while that the new trans activism is having (or is likely to have, if all its demands are met) a significant impact on many of the causes I support, because it's pushing to erode the legal definition of sex and replace it with gender.

and

The fourth is where things start to get truly personal. I'm concerned about the huge explosion in young women wishing to transition and also about the increasing numbers who seem to be detransitioning (returning to their original sex), because they regret taking steps that have, in some cases, altered their bodies irrevocably, and taken away their fertility. Some say they decided to transition after realising they were same-sex attracted, and that transitioning was partly driven by homophobia, either in society or in their families.

and

want to be very clear here: I know transition will be a solution for some gender dysphoric people, although I'm also aware through extensive research that studies have consistently shown that between 60-90% of gender dysphoric teens will grow out of their dysphoria. Again and again I've been told to 'just meet some trans people.' I have: in addition to a few younger people, who were all adorable, I happen to know a self-described transsexual woman who's older than I am and wonderful. Although she's open about her past as a gay man, I've always found it hard to think of her as anything other than a woman, and I believe (and certainly hope) she's completely happy to have transitioned. Being older, though, she went through a long and rigorous process of evaluation, psychotherapy and staged transformation. The current explosion of trans activism is urging a removal of almost all the robust systems through which candidates for sex reassignment were once required to pass. A man who intends to have no surgery and take no hormones may now secure himself a Gender Recognition Certificate and be a woman in the sight of the law. Many people aren't aware of this.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on April 02, 2024, 05:38:45 AMI don't think she's transphobic.  She is against what she calls trans activism. The ease in which people are getting the surgery done and in fact being pushed to do it. She's not an outlier.
She ultimatley believes in two sexes. Male and female. You have one or you don't and that we should continue to be categorized as one or the other. That bathrooms, prisons etc, should continue to use "sex" as a category.

So she's transphobic and scare mongering? Bathrooms is bullshit as until we got concerned about trans people (specifically transmen), no one was policing bathrooms.

By the by, we already dealt with her blog post you linked to back when it came out four years ago. We had 50 pages worth of things to say then.

https://languish.org/forums/index.php/topic,16101.60.html
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2024, 01:28:28 AMTbf, I don't think she's afraid of trans people (phobia), she just hates them. In my opinion, allegedly etc.
Is there a difference? Isn't transphobia just shorthand for that in the same way that Islamophobia is?

Although I know here Tory politicians, including Muslims like Sajid Javid, try to distinguish between Islamophobia (which they don't like using as a term) and "anti-Muslim hatred" - and that it's been quite difficult to agree a definition of Islamophobia - but I still think it's the more useful and accepted term.

QuoteBy the by, we already dealt with her blog post you linked to back when it came out four years ago. We had 50 pages worth of things to say then.
There's also been a fair bit of (self?) radicalisation since then. I believe she's now fairly by default casually misgendering people, referring to transwomen as "men" etc.

I am not sure that now she would even still agree with what she wrote four years ago. I suspect it would be far too squishy for her current views.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Phobia suggests irrational fear. Hence it being something negative.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2024, 06:32:42 AM
Is there a difference? Isn't transphobia just shorthand for that in the same way that Islamophobia is?

I was being needlessly splitting hairs. -_-
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Syt on April 02, 2024, 06:39:05 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2024, 06:32:42 AM

I was being needlessly splitting hairs. -_-
On Languish! :o
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2024, 06:32:42 AMThere's also been a fair bit of (self?) radicalisation since then. I believe she's now fairly by default casually misgendering people, referring to transwomen as "men" etc.

I am not sure that now she would even still agree with what she wrote four years ago. I suspect it would be far too squishy for her current views.

Oh yes, like this point she felt needed to be made@

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/jk-rowling-transphobic-comment-sky-news-article-1235923311/

QuoteJ.K. Rowling Says 'I'm So Sick of This S—' After Sky News Describes Transgender Killer as a 'Woman': 'This Is Not a Woman. These Are Not Our Crimes'

J.K. Rowling criticized Sky News on X (formerly Twitter) after the British television news channel posted a story about a 26-year-old being jailed for murder and referred to her as a "woman" and not a transgender woman.

Scarlet Blake was found guilty last week of murdering a man four months after she live-streamed a video in which she killed a cat. The judge said Blake was somewhat inspired by the Netflix documentary "Don't F*** With Cats." Blake was charged in the death of Jorge Martin Carreno, whom she hit and pushed into the River Cherwell in Oxford in July 2021. Blake is a transgender woman. The BBC reports that Blake will serve a life sentence in a men's prison.

"I'm so sick of this shit," Rowling posted to her 14 million X followers in response to Sky News not identifying Blake as a transgender woman in its tweet (the outlet did note Blake was transgender in the full story on its website). "This is not a woman. These are #NotOurCrimes."

Per the BBC: "The court previously heard how she arrived in the UK from China aged nine, coming out to her parents as transgender at 12. She said it 'made my father really unhappy and my mother as well' and 'caused a large emotional rift. Jurors were told how Blake, formerly known as Alice Wang, had an 'extreme interest in death and... harm' that 'went beyond mere fantasy.'"

Rowling then re-shared a post from The Guardian writer Louise Tickle, who called out her own publication for also not identifying Blake as a transgender woman in its coverage of the verdict. The "Harry Potter" author said she agreed with "every word of this," referring to Tickle's issues with The Guardian's coverage, which according to Tickle only referred to Blake as a woman and did not mention she's transgender.

The author then posted another follow-up statement on the matter: "1. Crime statistics are rendered useless if violent and sexual attacks committed by men are recorded as female crimes. 2. Activists are already clamouring for this sadistic killer to be incarcerated in a women's prison. 3. Ideologically-driven misinformation is not journalism."

Josquius

QuoteThe author then posted another follow-up statement on the matter: "1. Crime statistics are rendered useless if violent and sexual attacks committed by men are recorded as female crimes. 2. Activists are already clamouring for this sadistic killer to be incarcerated in a women's prison. 3. Ideologically-driven misinformation is not journalism."
If the GCSE level grasp of biology wasn't enough, I see she doesn't even get how statistics work. One person is statistically negliable.
██████
██████
██████

Sophie Scholl

It looks like wikipedia has actually kept up with the majority of Joanne's awfulness. Seeing a lot of easily refuted TERF talking points still popping up here is... disappointing.  :mellow:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_of_J._K._Rowling
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Josquius

Have to say though what disappoints me most is that some of their basic statements are just taken as fact.
You rarely get people questioning their concept of 'biological gender' and the whole trans women and cis women are separate but 'equal' thing.

With Rowling more than anything she actually says the key thing is that this has been going on for years and it seems to be her whole thing these days. Plenty of people in the past have said things that could be taken as transphobic. But they don't let it take over who they are.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on April 02, 2024, 08:01:17 AMIt looks like wikipedia has actually kept up with the majority of Joanne's awfulness. Seeing a lot of easily refuted TERF talking points still popping up here is... disappointing.  :mellow:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_views_of_J._K._Rowling

On the flipside, I would say that we all know Languish has long not been great when it comes to trans issues. That's not an excuse just a statement of fact. And with that, I don't think it is from a place of malice but rather one of not thinking about the experiences of a trans person but rather only view these issues from a majority, cisgender lens.

Not that I don't think we shouldn't strive to do better but I guess, we haven't gotten worse... :Embarrass:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2024, 10:47:17 PMTerrible 1984 thoughtcrime law.  How the hell is a judge supposed to determine if the defendant intended to stir up hatred?

Intent is required for most crimes

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 02, 2024, 03:57:08 AMI think it's an indictable offence so for the jury to determine if the prosecution has proven that. And isn't it just the same as any other mens rea?

Are there other crimes where the state of mind is the crime?  I really don't understand the role of mens rea in jurisprudence and am willing to be educated.