[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I read this piece last month and it made me sad.
People are getting hurt by this nonsense.
https://www.gq.com/story/kris-wilka-american-football
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Banning trans boys from boys' sports is just bigotry.

Syt

Wasn't sure whether to put it in this thread or the Quo Vadis GOP one. :hmm:

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/08/1085190476/florida-senate-passes-a-controversial-schools-bill-labeled-dont-say-gay-by-criti

QuoteFlorida Senate passes a controversial schools bill labeled 'Don't Say Gay' by critics

Florida's Senate passed a bill on Tuesday with a measure aimed at limiting discussions of sexual orientation and gender identity in schools.

Parental Rights in Education is the official name of the bill, but critics have dubbed it the "Don't Say Gay" bill, arguing that it would make life at school harder for LGBTQ kids.

What happens next

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has signaled his support for the bill, which also includes measures that would give parents better access to their kids' education and health records.

"Clearly right now, we see a lot of focus on the transgenderism, telling kids that they may be able to pick genders and all that. I don't think parents want that for these young kids," DeSantis said on Friday.

If DeSantis signs the bill into law, school teachers and staff would be prohibited from having classroom instruction about sexual orientation or gender identity with students. It would also give parents an option to sue a school district if the policy is violated.

Safety concerns raised for LGBTQ youth

Studies have shown that LGBTQ youth already face higher health and suicide risks than their cisgender or straight peers. But when given access to spaces that affirm their gender identity, the group reports lower rates of suicide attempts, according to The Trevor Project.

Supporters of the bill, including Republican State Sen. Dennis Baxley, have said that their focus is on classroom instruction, and that the bill does not actually prevent the word "gay" from being said in schools.

"Here you've got a bill that doesn't use the term gay that the media has taken and advertises as a 'Don't say gay bill,' and there's nothing about that in the bill except extrapolating a mission that they're on," Baxley said.

Florida Democrats voiced their opposition to the bill during debate on Tuesday.

"This is going to endanger the safety of our LGBTQ students and adolescents," State Sen. Annette Taddeo said. "We will not stop until this state moves forward and actually values everyone in it, everyone no matter their sexual orientation."

Critics say the bill is too vague

Democrats also said the bill's parameters are too undefined and are the cause of "horrendous" interpretations, pointing at a tweet from Christina Pushaw, a spokesperson for DeSantis, who called it an "anti-grooming bill" over the weekend.

"She called it a grooming bill, meaning that gay people or teachers talking about gayness are pedophiles and are grooming children for molestation," Democratic State Sen. Tina Polsky said. "It's horrendous the way this bill has been interpreted, and that's because it's not defined."

Student LGBTQ activists protested outside the state Capitol on Monday, and other protests have occurred throughout the state, including outside Walt Disney World. Employees of the entertainment company have made public statements urging the Disney executives to publicly oppose the bill.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

All manner of additional bills in debate and laws going into effect across the country targeting trans people and their families. It is disgusting and criminally under-covered by the MSM. The follow through of going after LGB folks after the T in the group had been taken care of was always the end goal of targeting trans people first as they were seen as the weak link in terms of support and their lack of a place in most people's thoughts and worldview. A plan that worked incredibly well as seen by some of the reactions from people here who would never hold the same views about LGB people they've spouted out against trans people. I hate to see the next phase already being implemented and implemented successfully, but maybe now there will finally be some support and coverage for trans people aside from the, at best, bullshit both-sidesing we get now if there's any coverage at all. I'm so, so tired.  :weep:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 10, 2022, 03:23:26 AMAll manner of additional bills in debate and laws going into effect across the country targeting trans people and their families. It is disgusting and criminally under-covered by the MSM. The follow through of going after LGB folks after the T in the group had been taken care of was always the end goal of targeting trans people first as they were seen as the weak link in terms of support and their lack of a place in most people's thoughts and worldview. A plan that worked incredibly well as seen by some of the reactions from people here who would never hold the same views about LGB people they've spouted out against trans people. I hate to see the nest phase already being implemented and implemented successfully, but maybe now there will finally be some support and coverage for trans people aside from the, at best, bullshit both-sidesing we get now if there's any coverage at all. I'm so, so tired.  :weep:

Very much agreed. They're going after the weakest marginalized group, and once they feel they've achieved victory they'll move on from there.  :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Canada should grant asylum to LGBT teens from Florida and send them our conspiracy nuts.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sophie Scholl

A brief moment of success in Texas with Governor Abbott's absolutely horrific, "helping your trans kid via puberty blockers or HRT is child abuse and will get you imprisoned and your child taken away", plans have been foiled by the courts. For now. Of course that same court also gave the awful Texas Abortion Bounty legitimacy today, too, so... :frusty:

"State court in Texas issues a statewide injunction against Governor Abbott's order, prohibiting DFPS from investigating families who access gender-affirming care on that basis. We also learned today state officials were instructed to avoid keeping records of such investigations."
https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1502424147833536512
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Austria's government is lifting the ban donating blood for homosexuals. Going forward, sexual orientation and gender (including trans and non-binary) will no longer preclude people from donating blood. Instead a screening question will be added whether someone had sexual relations with three different people in the past three months.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on May 20, 2022, 06:38:05 AMAustria's government is lifting the ban donating blood for homosexuals. Going forward, sexual orientation and gender (including trans and non-binary) will no longer preclude people from donating blood. Instead a screening question will be added whether someone had sexual relations with three different people in the past three months.
It's about time!  Canada has had this for a while now.  :sleep:

Like a couple of weeks ago.  :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Larch

Slovenia's constitutional court has decreed that the country's ban on same sex marriage is unconstitutional.

Josquius

Not sure whether this goes in the Ukraine thread or here :hmm:

BBC News - Ukraine to consider legalising same-sex marriage amid war
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62134804

Would pretty nicely add a few points against those who still defend Russia.
And with all the wartime injuries going on I can see a key practical reason to push through civil partnerships at least.
██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Quote from: Josquius on July 12, 2022, 04:32:11 PMWould pretty nicely add a few points against those who still defend Russia.
And with all the wartime injuries going on I can see a key practical reason to push through civil partnerships at least.

It would definitely bolster both those who see Ukraine as a defender of freedom, and those who justify Russia's war as fighting against Western "degeneracy".

HVC

Republican US representative wishes his gay son a happy marriage in his wedding toast days after telling all other gay people to fuck off with their marriage equality

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/glenn-thompson-gay-son-wedding-speech
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on July 26, 2022, 02:21:40 PMRepublican US representative wishes his gay son a happy marriage in his wedding toast days after telling all other gay people to fuck off with their marriage equality

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/davidmack/glenn-thompson-gay-son-wedding-speech

Sorry gays

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."