Gunmen storm Kenyan University; at least 148 killed

Started by jimmy olsen, April 02, 2015, 01:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on April 02, 2015, 08:07:37 AM
Quote from: KRonn on April 02, 2015, 07:09:09 AM
The African nations are going to have to put more emphasis on fighting these groups, as I don't see how any political accommodation can be made with such extremists to be part of any government.

Yeah but how much can they really do? AK-47s and psychos willing to kill are cheap, security is expensive.

Yeah, it's going to take time and money but mostly they need the will to want it. I think they're seeing often enough the nasty impact of these groups so African nations have some will to fight it. They've already been involved in many events like this. African Union troops in Somalia, several nations now in Nigeria vs the extremists. They can do it.  Plus I'm sure they can get some financing from the US and Euro-nations for security issues.
It's really too bad that Ghaddafi is no longer around as he would have been helping fight this scourge, and probably would have been a strong leader against it. Instead Libya is now a nation with these same radical groups vying to take over.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 10:06:23 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 02, 2015, 07:57:30 AM
The African countries need to set their resources to persecuting Muslims and Islam at home.  They don't need to worry about immigration, so surely it's just a matter of cleaning up a few hives, right?

Yeah, seriously. This is their civil war (which also, notably, looks a lot like European reformation period wars of religion so the "Muslim Reformation" everybody was hoping for is finally here). Now they need to get their shit together and stop blaming the West or gays.

their civil was has been going on since Ali was murdered. And there's no muslim-reformation going on either since the reformers appear to be nothing more than a very tiny minority

jimmy olsen

Since I posted last night the death toll has risen ten fold. :(

http://www.the-star.co.ke/news/update-garissa-attack-death-toll-rises-147-four-gunmen-killed

QuoteUPDATE: Garissa attack death toll rises to 147, four gunmen killed - See more at:

BY STAR REPORTER | April 2, 2015

The death toll in the attack by al Shabaab on a university in Garissa on Thursday has risen to 147 and the siege has ended, the country's disaster response agency said.

"UPDATE: 147 fatalities confirmed in the Garissa Attack," The Kenya National Disaster Operation Centre said on its official Twitter feed, adding that the operation had ended.

Four gunmen were killed and some police officers from the Recce squad injured during the operation.

Police have announced a curfew in four counties following the attacks that targeted Christian students.

Inspector General of Police Joseph Boinett announced that Garissa, Tana River, Mandera and Wajir counties will be under dusk to dawn curfew starting Friday to April 16.

He addressed the press in Garissa town flanked by Interior CS Joseph Nkaissey and other local leaders.

At least 79 people were injured and over 500 students rescued during the attack that Al Shabaab has claimed responsibility.

Most of the students were killed during morning prayers.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

Quote from: frunk on April 02, 2015, 10:06:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on April 02, 2015, 10:04:38 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on April 02, 2015, 08:05:55 AM
I tried to persuade my wife to go to Kenya.   :(

Damn, you will have to come up with another ploy to get rid of her, now.

I think she's safe as long as she makes more money than she spends.

Or forces Mono to spend on himself.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

Once again it is not the poor and opressed getting recruited, but the well off and well educated. :(

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/04/05/mohammed_abdirahim_abdullahi_gunman_in_kenya_massacre_was_the_son_of_government.html
QuoteA Gunman in Kenya Massacre Was the Son of Government Official
By Daniel Politi

One of the gunmen who murdered 148 people at a university in Kenya had been a Kenyan law school graduate known for his straight-A's and his influential father, who is a government official. More specifically, Mohammed Abdirahim Abdullahi's father is a "chief" in Madera, a town near the Somali border. As the Guardian explains, "chiefs are officials retained by the national authorities to solve disputes at local level and their remit includes identifying criminals."

The 24-year-old "will likely go down in history as the mass murderer with the most innocent face," notes Kenya's the Daily Nation. Known as Ababmo by his classmates, he was known for his good grades as much as for his tailored suits. "But below the nice suits and the veneer of normality was a cauldron of hatred and religious fanaticism which culminated in mass murder last week," adds the paper.

Blogger Yassin Juma says that it was well known when he disappeared that Abdirahim had gone to join al-Shabab after his initial plan to join ISIS failed because "he had no passport." A relative who spoke to Kenya's Standard claims Abdullahi went missing shortly after receiving his law degree and his family reported his disappearance immediately. The Guardian managed to speak briefly to his father before he was rushed to the hospital, apparently overwhelmed by the reports of his son's involvement in the massacre. "This is a young man who disappeared in 2013 and I have not heard from him since," Abdullahi Mohammed said. "If it is true and it is confirmed that he was one of them, then he deserves the most painful death. This is so inhuman what they did to the innocent students. It is so wrong."

A government official confirmed Abdullahi's family was trying to help authorities locate him. "The father had reported to security agents that his son had disappeared from home... and was helping the police try to trace his son by the time the Garissa terror attack happened," Interior Ministry spokesman Mwenda Njoka told Reuters.

The involvement of a well-educated Kenyan in the attack served as a shocking reminder of just how successful Islamic extremists have been in recruiting young people across the country. "The news that one of the gunmen was Kenyan highlights the challenges faced by the government in preventing terrorist attacks," notes the Associated Press. "The danger comes not only from neighboring Somalia but also from within Kenya."

The government also identified Mohamed Mohamud as the mastermind of the attack. He is Kenyan and has three wives, reports CNN.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Siege

Hey timmay, we have known for a long time that jihadis are mostly middle and upper class.
The idea that jihadis are poor is a western media consturct because most journalist have a marxist education and want to see everything through the lense of class warfare.

The dirt poor have dreams of gettin electronics and nike shoes. The ones that are from well off families are the ones looking for the deep meaning of life, and turn to islam.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

jimmy olsen

Whoops...

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2015/04/14/police_plane_sent_on_personal_trip_during_kenya_garissa_attack.html
QuoteKenyan Police Chief Sent Commando Transport Plane on Family Holiday During Garissa Attack

In the weeks after the Garissa University massacre in Kenya, carried out by the Somali-based militant group al-Shabab, horror at the brutality of the loss of nearly 150 lives morphed into anger at the Kenyan government's woefully slow response to the attack. On Tuesday, the government's ham-handed reaction looked even worse "after a police chief admitted that a plane meant to transport commandos to the scene was instead being used to fly his family back from holiday on the coast," according to the Guardian.

The plane's crew had been sent to Mombasa on the morning of the attack to pick up police official Rogers Mbithi's daughter-in-law and her child, according to the Daily Nation. The plane did, eventually, return and transport commandos to the site of the attack, but that was hours after the siege began. Making things worse "some of the victims had initially managed to hide from the killers after the assault began at dawn, but were discovered and murdered in the afternoon, many hours later," the Guardian reports. "The police commandos only arrived seven hours after the attack started, finally breaking the siege in the evening."

1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on April 05, 2015, 07:27:36 PM
Hey timmay, we have known for a long time that jihadis are mostly middle and upper class.
The idea that jihadis are poor is a western media consturct because most journalist have a marxist education and want to see everything through the lense of class warfare.

The dirt poor have dreams of gettin electronics and nike shoes. The ones that are from well off families are the ones looking for the deep meaning of life, and turn to islam.
Siege is right.  Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points