News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Minnesota's Jerry Kill retires effective immediately, for health reasons. 
QuoteCoach Kill announced today that he is retiring effective immediately due to health reasons. Tracy Claeys has been named interim head coach.

You gotta know this is something bad and immediate, given that Minny plays to defend The Jug on Saturday, and he's not even going to pretend to coach.

It's really a crying shame.  Kill has been one of the most effective coaches in college the last few years, while still being a class act.  CFB will miss him.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on October 28, 2015, 10:01:40 AM
Wait there is a Big 12 game on Thursday night? In know TCU and WV recently were in conferences that did that on a regular basis but it sure is weird. Or at least I cannot remember the last time that happened.

I think the weakest Power 5 conference has to play one on Thursdays once the conference season starts.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

Wait there is a Big 12 game on Thursday night? In know TCU and WV recently were in conferences that did that on a regular basis but it sure is weird. Or at least I cannot remember the last time that happened.

There have been occasional Thursday B12 games for at least a couple of years (not including T-day).   The Pokes and Tech played on a Thursday in September last year.  I think there was more than one the year before.

E:  I assume this one is getting more attention than usual because of where TCU is ranked.

alfred russel

I think I remember seeing Thursday night games from every conference but the big 10.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2015, 11:21:19 AM

I think the weakest Power 5 conference has to play one on Thursdays once the conference season starts.

Well that might explain a Thursday game by the PAC 12 but I don't see how that is relevant to this situation :P

Speaking of West Virginia where is Spicey? He hardly comments here anymore. Losing faith in Holgorsen?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

It would be sad for Jerry to die in the middle of the season like this.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 28, 2015, 02:52:11 PM

Yeah sorry to hear about that. I hope he recovers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

He's had a number of epileptic seizures over the last couple of years.  I get the feeling he was just informed of a more serious development.  I sure hope resigning from the stress of coaching turns the tide on whatever it is.

Bo had to quit because of his ticker, and lived for 27 more years.  Let's hope Jerry is as lucky.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on October 28, 2015, 03:21:30 PM

He's had a number of epileptic seizures over the last couple of years.  I get the feeling he was just informed of a more serious development.  I sure hope resigning from the stress of coaching turns the tide on whatever it is.

Bo had to quit because of his ticker, and lived for 27 more years.  Let's hope Jerry is as lucky.

Might have lived longer if he hadn't gone to work for the Tigers.

If what I have heard about his firing from Detroit is true, it was a shitty way to be let go.  Not that there is a good way to be fired.

Valmy

Well I guess we now know who Dana thinks should win the Heisman

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/09156743FC1271702145993162752_4356ca0e88d.2.1.9351736659339216081.mp4?versionId=lNjTcE0X.hIdt18OHX6xqotmNgMnA95j

I cannot give WV too much shit for that though. They did 13 points better than Texas did.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 29, 2015, 10:55:18 PM
Well I guess we now know who Dana thinks should win the Heisman

That is awesome.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Wow. Some people just cannot stand success.

Valmy

This Texas Tech vs. Oklahoma State game is a Big 12 classic.

Admiral Yi

Maybe it's time i start rooting a bit for Ioway.