News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Football 2015

Started by grumbler, April 12, 2015, 10:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Four years ago Texas A&M hoped to return to the rankings when they hired the head coach of the undefeated Houston Cougars.

Four years later Texas A&M is still unranked and the Houston Cougars are still undefeated. Maybe it was just Houston and Texas A&M and not the coach?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2015, 10:50:54 PM
Four years ago Texas A&M hoped to return to the rankings when they hired the head coach of the undefeated Houston Cougars.

Four years later Texas A&M is still unranked and the Houston Cougars are still undefeated. Maybe it was just Houston and Texas A&M and not the coach?

:lol:

According to the Sagarin Projections, aTm would be about a half point favorite if they met on a neutral field.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on October 25, 2015, 10:50:54 PM
the undefeated Houston Cougars.

Houston got skullfucked by Larry Fedora's Southern Miss team in the C-USA championship game that year.  That was a helluva game.  They would have gone to the Fiesta Bowl or something like that if they had won. 

Berkut

With Arizona kind of imploding this year, I am wondering how Rich Rod is going to weather this - for now, I am guessing he is very safe. Arizona has been bad for a long time, so winning the Pac-12 south last year gives him a lot of room for error. Or at least some room for error.

I am wondering if there won't be a lot of pressure to ditch the 335 and Casteel though - which would be ironic considering NOT having Casteel is supposedly one of the reasons he could not succeed at Michigan...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

alfred russel

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2015, 02:07:28 PM
I am wondering if there won't be a lot of pressure to ditch the 335 and Casteel though - which would be ironic considering NOT having Casteel is supposedly one of the reasons he could not succeed at Michigan...

I have a hunch he will never go for that. RR has his offense and his 335 defense. Pressuring a coach to switch assistants is one thing, but their core coaching philosophy is another.

I know it would be hard to quantify because there are usually euphemisms when assistants are pushed out, but it would really be interesting to see the future outcomes when a head coach is pushed into staff changes. My guess is that rarely are changes made that result in the program taking off and everyone living happily ever after.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

Berkut

Quote from: alfred russel on October 26, 2015, 02:44:38 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2015, 02:07:28 PM

I have a hunch he will never go for that. RR has his offense and his 335 defense. Pressuring a coach to switch assistants is one thing, but their core coaching philosophy is another.

I know it would be hard to quantify because there are usually euphemisms when assistants are pushed out, but it would really be interesting to see the future outcomes when a head coach is pushed into staff changes. My guess is that rarely are changes made that result in the program taking off and everyone living happily ever after.

Yeah, that is actually a pretty good point.

That doesn't seem like a formula for anything but eventual failure.

If RR decides that it is time to retire the 335, he can do so himself in some fashion. Trying to force the issue cannot really have a good outcome. At best, it just means he starts listening to those east coast schools who are calling.

0 rows returned

alfred russel

Vegas has released odds on the next Miami coach:

Butch Davis - 7/4
Mario Cristobal - 7/2
Rob Chudzinski - 5/1
Justin Fuente - 11/2
Greg Schiano - 8/1
Doc Holliday - 8/1
Frank Wilson - 9/1
Tom Herman - 9/1
Tommy Tuberville - 10/1

http://lsu.247sports.com/Bolt/Las-Vegas-releases-odds-for-next-Miami-coach-40570253

Butch!!!!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

Eddie Teach

He probably roots for the Clantons.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2015, 02:47:41 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 26, 2015, 02:44:38 PM

Yeah, that is actually a pretty good point.

That doesn't seem like a formula for anything but eventual failure.

If RR decides that it is time to retire the 335, he can do so himself in some fashion. Trying to force the issue cannot really have a good outcome. At best, it just means he starts listening to those east coast schools who are calling.

One of the ironies is that Michigan's elite defense this year is a 3-3-5 defense.  That's the scheme they have the players* for, so that's what Harbaugh and Durkin are running.  I'd give the 3-3-5 some time to recruit for before scrapping it.  If Casteel is making a mistake, it's probably not recruiting the right guys for the line.  He always preferred smaller, faster guys, and that's not what Michigan has, so he's probably doing it a bit wrong.

*Jabrill Peppers as the HSP makes a big difference, admittedly
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I would say that losing Scooby Wright in the first game probaby doesn't help things much.

0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 26, 2015, 07:13:17 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on October 26, 2015, 05:12:22 PM
Doc Holliday - 8/1

That would be OK with me.

The only thing he will find at Miami will be his tombstone.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on October 26, 2015, 09:08:17 PM
I would say that losing Scooby Wright in the first game probaby doesn't help things much.

It was fated.  The guy wins the Nagursky Trophy as a sophomore.  Where can he go but down from there?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Valmy

Wait there is a Big 12 game on Thursday night? In know TCU and WV recently were in conferences that did that on a regular basis but it sure is weird. Or at least I cannot remember the last time that happened.