News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Valmy's ADHD Dragon Age playthrough

Started by Valmy, April 10, 2015, 09:51:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

The respec potions are very cheap. I will haul along a few.

A few quests in eh? Ok then.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 12:58:40 PM
Several months pass and eventually Urien gets over his mourning. Merrill wants to see him at her house. He arrives to discover she has the Eluvian from the Dalish Origin and Witch Hunt from DA:O in her house. Huh. When did she go back to the Brescian and get it? It was still there in Witch Hunt and...oh forget it.
The Eluvian is not unique.  In fact, there are still many of them scattered around Thedas. 

I am using the spoiler tag, but it does not affect anything in game.  It is revealed in a book.  And that book contradicts Dragon Age Inquisition.  Or DA:I contradicts the book :P  Anyway, With Hunt seems to agree with DA:I...  Oh, it isn't a good book btw ;)
[spoiler]
Ancient Elves used it to move quickly from one place to another.  You need a "key" to activate the Eluvian and once activated you go through it and sort of move through a parallel universe wich shortens the distance two points.  So you walk for an hour but do entire day's worth of marching.  They would be similar to Babylon 5's jumpgate.  You enter hyperspace to travel into, along a line of beacon.  And in the book, it is clear that this parallel universe is hostile to non-elves, making it harder for them to do any kind of physical effort.[/spoiler]

This one is revealed in DA:I:
[spoiler]
The Ancient Elves were not pacifists, nor innocent martyrs at the end of humans religious zealots.  They used to Eluvians to maintain an Empire, not unlike Orlais and war with one another.[/spoiler]

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2015, 01:50:06 PM
The Eluvian is not unique.  In fact, there are still many of them scattered around Thedas. 

I know. There were two in Witch Hunt. But Merrill says that this Eluvian is the same one as the one that kills Tamlen in the Dalish Origin and is used by Finn in Witch Hunt.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 12:58:40 PM
I wonder if Isabela has any thoughts?
Yes, she has some :P

Btw, did you do the night quests, where you repeatdly go into each area of the city until you get a bandit's lair to clear out? :)
I know you encountered Lelianna's cousins :D , but I wasn't clear on if you ultimately eradicated them all? :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 02, 2015, 01:52:08 PM
Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2015, 01:50:06 PM

I know. There were two in Witch Hunt. But Merrill says that this Eluvian is the same one as the one that kills Tamlen in the Dalish Origin and is used by Finn in Witch Hunt.
ah, well, I am sorry then.  It's been to long since I played DA:O (it was bugged on my system :( )

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 02, 2015, 02:00:19 PM
Btw, did you do the night quests, where you repeatdly go into each area of the city until you get a bandit's lair to clear out? :)
I know you encountered Lelianna's cousins :D , but I wasn't clear on if you ultimately eradicated them all? :)

Yes. There were dog bandits in Lowtown and thrifty dwarves at the docks. I took out all three of their hideouts. Surprisingly Darktown is the safest place in Kirkwall to walk around at night.

Valmy

So time to journey on to the Qunari Compound to deal with the latest disaster. However a group of fine upstanding citizens do not want Urien to get there.

'I mean seriously?'

Those Mercs must be either suicidal or very hard up. They brushed them aside and arrived at the compound. Shockingly Isabela buggers off again.

'Wow two guys from Andromeda..er..Antiva? What a weird coincidence!'

That is the last time I can do that running gag. The Arishok will not turn over Saemus to us as he is now under the Arishok's protection.  However Saemus has already left, he got a letter from the Viscount telling him to meet at the Chantry.  Um...ok that is obviously Mother Petrice again. The Arishok warns us again...

'Frankly if I were him I would have burned the place down after the envoys got slaughtered'

So they rush back to the Chantry and well...Saemus has been murdered. Oh shit.

'Yeah I am sure everybody is totally going to buy this'

So Urien saved the Viscount's sons life for nothing in Act 1. Actually it probably would have been better if the mercs had killed him. Now his murder by Mother Petrice might trigger a war. She has her fanatics attack Urien while she runs for the Grand Cleric. Petrice leads Elthina to them once the battle is over claiming Urien Hawke slaughtered them all in the Chantry. Elthina does not believe her for a second and asks that we take her captive. So yeah she knew this the whole time didn't do anything and still won't. No huge denunciation of what happened, no big call for calm amongst the faithful nada.

'You respect the law? Like how you make sure the Templars follow it? Oh wait...'

Seriously isn't punishing heretical clerics her job? She cannot even plead ignorance, she admits she knows what is going on but just refuses to do anything on principle. And she is the only authority who can solve this crisis as it is being driven by the Chantry itself. Ah well a Qunari warrior shoots her with an arrow, killing her to avenge Saemus. Elthina seems not too bothered by this.

'Wait so we could have just killed her here at any time? Now you tell us'

Viscount Dumar arrives and is crushed by the death of his son. Urien tries to remind him of his duty and that his people need to be rallied to stop a conflict with the Qunari.

'I get that your son has died but FUCK the leadership is so bad here I wish Loghain was in charge. YES I SAID IT'

So they leave. Kirkwall is doomed. Then Isabela hints the incredibly unlikely possibility she might be involved in some way.

'I am SHOCKED SHOCKED to discover...'

Valmy

So Urien rushes home to find Aveline and Isabella ready to talk to him.

'Yes chasing two fugitives seems like a brilliant idea when the Qunari could destroy the city at any time.'

Ok two criminals ran off to 'join the Qun' and Aveline wants us to go confront the Arishok to apprehend them. Now? Can't this wait a week or so? Could your timing possibly be any worse?

Speaking of interesting timing Isabela has located her relic and if she does not get it Castillon, a crazy Antivan "Merchant", will kill her. She has located the fence who has it and he is going to sell it off in Lowtown...

'Yeah so...um...actually words fail me'

So presuming this relic is the key to getting the Qunari to leave that seems a lot more productive than Aveline's rather provocative confrontation. Also Isabela needs it to not die. Probably can not get it for both things...sounds like a problem to figure out later. Also Isabela might not be totally trustworthy here. No loyalty to her one true pairing casual sexual partner? Man I liked it better when women were just using my heroes for old god children seed.

We flash back to the interrogation and Cassandra is surprised Urien is being pulled in all these directions. She seems to think the Qunari conflict was planned by him to achieve whatever ends he achieves.

'Yeah because just between you and me I have no idea what is going to happen next'

Well ok I have known Isabela's relic is what is keeping the Qunari here since I first heard the Qunari were looking for something. Would have been nice to ask Isabela about it then but Urien just trusts his companions to a fault.

'The Qunari have no such problem'

So once again Urien has to kill Qunari, a rather counterproductive move to somebody trying to keep the peace. He seems rather unsure how to react to this and then Isabela drops the bomb.

':frusty:'

Urien agrees to let Isabela have the artifact and just trusts she will do the right thing. The fence is inside the foundry trying to sell the relic to the Qunari's Tevinter enemies. Urien and company breaks in just to see the Qunari do the same at the same moment. That Amell timing continues to be impeccable. The Tevinter's turn on both Urien and the Qunari and we have a nice three way fight going on. Meanwhile the fence charges off with Isabela close behind him. After the battle they exit the foundry to find the fence dead and Isabela and the relic missing. At least she left a note.

'Well...we're boned'

Well unfortunately all of Kirkwall kind of got dragged in along with Urien. So with a mounting sense of dread Urien goes to join Aveline and the city guards. Aveline, Urien, and a small group of guards enter the compound and Aveline rather brazenly goes up and demands the Arishok turn over the fugitives. Well turns out they were elves who could not get the city guard to respond to one of the guardsmen raping their sister so eventually they took justice into their own hands and fled to the Qunari. Aveline admits she heard something but that did not justify their actions. Oh dear.

'You must...what? Write an angry letter to the editor?'

'I think Vinek Kathas means something similar to 'kill them all, the Qun will recognize its own''

So they attack and Aveline and Urien barely escape alive. The Qunari attack the city and the battle is on. Hard to feel like much of a hero in this game.

Aveline goes to rally the guard. Urien, Fenris, Varric, and Anders try to fight their way to Hightown. They fight through thugs and looters and Qunari through Lowtown as it burns around them. Surprisingly they run into a random group of Grey Wardens who I guess just happened to be passing through at just that moment.

'Nice to meet you Stroud. It would have been cooler if you were Loghain.'

So that was pointless plotwise but it was nice to get a little help. They charge off to do important Grey Warden stuff saying they cannot involve themselves in local political issues. It seems the Grey Wardens were not happy about Lorcan being a kingmaker in Ferelden and Orzammar. So they fight into Hightown and after furious combat against the Qunari they get ambushed by a rather powerful Qunari mage but suddenly his magic stops working, and that can only mean Templars! But not just any Templar...

'Nice to meet you! I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I have been desperate to kill you for the past three years'

Oh my how I wish Urien could just off her now. Nobody would suspect anything being in the middle of a battle and Abominanders wouldn't mind. Heck actually could Vengeance come out and get all demony right now? No? Stupid Anders. But really if Urien could take out Meredith and stop the Qunari here well, that would solve most of the remaining problems.

But I guess murdering a high ranking official, even one with such complete disregard for her jurisdiction and laws governing her office, is a bit too much. Also she probably is too powerful for him right now.

Meredith tells them the Qunari are gathering the nobles in the Viscount's Keep. Fenris informs them this is standard Qunari practice. The notables are all gathered and they either accept the Qun or die. Lovely.

In the square before the palace they find an elf mage who seems to be the only survivor of a Qunari attack...well actually one of the other mages survives and he heals her and it is...

'SWEET SISTER! :hug:'

But she is not so sweet here. In fact she is downright cold to Urien. Meredith makes her charming arrival.

'Wait...Orsino...the guy who was bugging the Viscount at the beginning of the act.  The letter from the Circle to the Lilly Killer was signed 'O'. Damn it I want to kill this joker as well'

Man...man...if only.

So they start bickering over who is in charge. Urien tells them to stuff and he is in charge. Bethany rolls her eyes. Damn sis what happened? They rush to the entrance to the keep and the Qunari fortunately did not lower the portcullis as leaving the gates to fortresses wide open is standard for Dragon Age keep defense.

'Does anybody have a wheelbarrow and a holocaust cloak?'

Orsino distracts the Qunari and Urien and his group rush in the door. The giant iron door. That they didn't lock or bar or anything because of course they didn't. Soon they arrive at the Viscount's throne room. The Qunari are just killing the Viscount and the Seneschal as they walk in. The Arishok is giving the nobles an inspiring sermon.

'Convert or die eh? Well I have to admit I have been looking for a little more spirituality in my life.'

I foresee the mega church career in the Arishok's future. Actually his harps on the nobles was disturbingly right on but insulting them is a bit like shooting fish in a barrel. Urien, Abominanders, Fenris and Varric storm in and the final confrontation begins!

The Arishok points out he cannot leave without the relic and he cannot stand staying here with all the corrupt non-Qun around so he must convert the city. But at that dramatic moment Isabela returns to save the day! Wow how about that Amell timing? Or probably like that elf messenger in Awakenings she had actually gotten there 20 minutes earlier and was just waiting for the most dramatic moment. She strides up and hands the relic over to the Arishok at the risk of her own life. Urien's faith restored! Though...you know...the whole situation was her fault and everything.

'Awwww that sweet moment when you influence your girlfriend to be slightly less evil'

But Urien, who is all about loyalty to his friends and family, has a huge moral shot in the arm. The Arishok says he will leave now but he must also take Isabela back for punishment. Urien stands by her and refuses. So then it seems the Qun demands a duel to the death.

'A woman as the prize? You Qunari have some serious female objectification issues.'

Isabela doesn't want her true lo...er...casual sexual partner to risk himself on her account and heroically demands to duel the Arishok in Urien's place. But she is not Qun-y enough and only Urien has the Qun stuff the Arishok respects for duels to the death purposes. So we have the hero in an old school romantic fight to the death for his fair..erm...mature experienced partner.

'I am a man, who will fight for your honor. I'll be the hero you're dreaming of'

So this is kind of a silly fight. I mean the setup is epic but the Arishok is loaded with healing potions and Urien is loaded with healing potions. So it all came down to who had the most healing potions and that was Urien. I trust Varric made it more dramatic in his retelling. Judging by Cassandra's reaction yes he did.

'I did it all for you baby..er..I mean Isabela. Did it all for Isabela.'

Meredith walks in to see the nobles cheering on their savior Urien. Best not to tell them what was the ultimate cause of this. Meredith walks in and gives an expression like she just smelled a skunk and then declares...

'No time for Templars 'cause I am the champion...'

Of course only the Viscount can declare a new champion and Meredith is not some crazy dictator who is going to abuse her power and take over a city or anything...

'Haha just kidding'

Yeah she is now dictator of Kirkwall. Man Urien just keeps making it worse.

So three years pass under her illegal tyranny. Finally serial killer supporter First Enchanter Orsino gives a speech denouncing her arbitrary rule and demands a return to the traditional laws of Kirkwall, thus triggering the events that will drive Act 3.

'I mean seriously would 99.99% of the Templars in Thedas not agree with this statement?'

Meredith storms in and accuses Orsino of treason. Well he probably is a blood mage and a traitor but Meredith is way off the rails. Urien is invited to enter the conversation and is remarkably restrained.

'Yeah. That's right. I said it. Wrong. Deal with it.'

I would rather he just called for her arrest and execution for an illegal seizure of power and abuse of office. But I guess 'wrong' will have to do. Grand Cleric Elthina shows up and tells the First Enchanter and Meredith to go to their rooms and think about what they did.

'Thanks...you can end this anytime you want. Just saying. Don't trouble yourself or anything.'

So we begin Act 3 and damn I want to wring some necks this game is driving me insane  :P

I thought this was supposed to be Mages vs. Templars. This has nothing at all to do with that and everything to do with the insanity of one singular individual.

Next post I will sum up Act 2 and discuss Act 3 a bit.

Valmy

Here is what Urien did in Act 2:

Ok so Gascard DuPuis was killed by Varric. Sic Semper Cruentus Magus.

Killed Ser Varnell when he kidnapped the Qunari envoys

Did not side with Mother Petrice. Because she and Ser Varnell were psycho maniacs. Though I suppose Urien may as well have considering how things went down.

Urien discovered Brekker was behind raiding the caravans he and Hubert owned. Despite Brekker's best efforts it was not the Ferelden who stayed dead.

Urien did not encounter the dwarf Yevhen. Quickly looking it up it seems you only meet him if Nathaniel Howe died in Awakenings...um I guess Nathaniel has killed him for some reason otherwise. Weird.

Urien let Javaris leave after he told Urien about the psycho elf in the Qunari fake explosives quest.

Urien helped Aveline and the City Guards defeat Evets' Marauders sans Evets.

Urien saved Feynriel from the fade and he went off to Tevinter. Far away from Urien, which was good.

Urien heroically beat the Arishok in a potion drinking competition to the death.

Ok so Act 2 kind of ground my gears a bit if you couldn't tell. The Hero is being really passive in the face of the threats he is facing. Now I can role-play a bit around that. I had originally pictured Urien as an easy going man who enjoyed life and looked after his own. But the extent he just lets dangerous villains be until they strike again and lets obvious problems fester until they become a crisis is rather...off putting. Maybe I just got used to Dragon Age: Origins where the hero swoops in to save the day against incredible odds. Here the hero lets things get really shitty until he swoops in to make them slightly less shitty. I just do not get why. Ah well. Urien just procrastinates I guess.

And man the leaders in this game are just remarkably incompetent and the few that aren't are either obviously evil, Meredith, or only 90% likely to be evil, Orsino. I have never seen a game where the Big Bad (Meredith) just sits there in front of you so long with you unable to oppose her in the fashion it would seem logical to do so.

Bioware has not attempted to write a plot exactly like this one so I guess I should be understanding they had some issues. They usually write the big 'save the world from the big bad' thing. I will say absent the Bhallspawn part the first Baldur's Gate kind of had similar elements and they did a great job leading up to the final battle with Sarevok. I don't know. On the other hand judging from the interrogation of Varric by Cassandra everything is going to go very badly and that is also a unique aspect not present in many RPGs. So I guess I can at least give them props for trying something different. Actually there are a lot of elements that new as I have mentioned before.

I really enjoy the characters though even though man I cannot recall another game where this many of your party members either betray you or are highly likely to. And what is the deal with Bethany? Her reaction was weird and out of character. Orsino must be brainwashing her :angry:

Aveline got married to Donnic a year ago and they went on a honeymoon in Orlais. She has been softened a bit by domestic bliss and has delegated and empowered the guard more. The guard is prospering as never before under her command and now exists as the only public institution the people can rely on. However that has made Meredith suspicious and now she desires to control it as well.

Anders gave up his revolutionary committee after the shock of his near murder of the Circle Mage in his escape plot in Act 2. He withdrew for many years struggling to master his abomination status. But recently he has returned to take up the banner of revolt once more...but who is in charge? Vengeance or Anders? Survey says: Vengeance. Get ready for more Abominanders theatre in Act 3.

Varric put Bartrand into a sanitarium and now runs House Tethras as the rightful head of the family. Though, for mysterious reasons, he has fake relatives listed as shadow owners on all official documents. Odd...

Fenris is now a famous hero, the Hightown friend of the Champion of Kirkwall, and hates all the attention. He wants to leave Kirkwall and learning of his sister from Hadriana still weighs on his mind. Yet he stays out of loyalty to Urien and sensing he will be needed in the coming crisis in Kirkwall.

Merrill has shut herself into her house in the Alienage puzzling over the Eluvian. She comes out so rarely Varric has food delivered to her house since she sometimes forgets to go get some. At least she no longer wanders around the city getting into trouble.

Isabela and Urien had a moment after he killed the Arishok. A tense one. She was upset he had fought the duel on her behalf and upset she had just put her life in danger by returning with the relic. Now Castillon will kill her before. Urien said he forgave her and praised her for helping the people of Kirkwall but she said "I didn't do it for them. I did it for you. It was always about you." As one usually says to their casual sexual partner. She then fled the city, hiding out for her enemies. Urien figured he would never see her again but rumor has it she is back in Kirkwall at her usual spot in the hanged man.

Bethany remains in the Circle of Magi after the battle but she ceased to write Urien letting him know she is ok.

During the past three years Urien has been elevated to Champion of Kirkwall, the most prominent person in the city who is not the Grand Cleric or Knight-Commander Meredith. In that time I assume he has been working to rebuild and maintain order as Meredith's tyrannical reign ramps up public discontent. But he is basically alone now and struggled with depression. Only Varric and Fenris have spent time with him in the past three years. But now the crisis is finally here. How will he manage.

Well first he will gather his allies and do whatever pressing quests he has to do. Then do Mark of the Assassin.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 03, 2015, 06:41:14 PM
Orsino distracts the Qunari and Urien and his group rush in the door. The giant iron door. That they didn't lock or bar or anything because of course they didn't.
Everyone has its place in the Qun.  Even the doors.  Doors are meant to be opened, so they stay open!
Only an heretic would believe otherwise!

Urien did not encounter the dwarf Yevhen. Quickly looking it up it seems you only meet him if Nathaniel Howe died in Awakenings...um I guess Nathaniel has killed him for some reason otherwise. Weird.
Given the game was rushed, they didn't have time to fit it in.  But both of them use the exact same area you've been before in the deep roads.  It is an interesting quest to do, though.
There are mods that let you generate saves based on various choices you want to make, if you ever want to try that.

And what is the deal with Bethany? Her reaction was weird and out of character. Orsino must be brainwashing her :angry:
She has it rough in the Circle, what with Templars' oppression and all.  She blames you for not protecting her against the Templars in the first place.
But don't worry, had you brought her with you in the Deep Roads, there was 50% chances she'd still be mad at you :P

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on June 08, 2015, 04:16:19 PM
Everyone has its place in the Qun.  Even the doors.  Doors are meant to be opened, so they stay open!
Only an heretic would believe otherwise!

It is rare one of your kind has such a perfect understanding of the Qun.

Given the game was rushed, they didn't have time to fit it in.  But both of them use the exact same area you've been before in the deep roads.  It is an interesting quest to do, though.
There are mods that let you generate saves based on various choices you want to make, if you ever want to try that.

Fit what in? :hmm:

Anyway not sure I will be replaying this one any time soon but I will keep that in mind.

She has it rough in the Circle, what with Templars' oppression and all.  She blames you for not protecting her against the Templars in the first place.
But don't worry, had you brought her with you in the Deep Roads, there was 50% chances she'd still be mad at you :P

Pfft she was all 'the Templars are not so bad and I love teaching those cute little apprentices' last time.

I am so glad I decided not to take her on the Deep Roads. I would never have taken Anders with her.

Valmy

Ok so Act III. This is where the rubber meets the road. The boys are separated from the men. When push comes to shove. When all will be said and done. When Urien will finally solve this problem before it blows up into an enormous crisis for once.

Eh probably not. But it should be a fun ride.

Ok so first Urien is going to go home then get the band back together. His dog trapped an intruder in the wardrobe.

'But if you buy these magazines I will turn my life around'

But Urien has no time for helping troubled youth pull themselves up by their bootstraps and has his dog chase the kid out. No time for peasants. Bodahn and Sandal are about ready to return to Ferelden. Pity then Urien will be alone with his elf and his dog. I hope they stay just long enough for some last minute enchantments. Orsino writes Urien a butt kissing letter.

'Oh Orsino :wub:'

What a sweet talker. Don't think you can seduce me with your honeyed words Orsino. Well time to go visit Aveline.

'Well nothing symbolic about this'

Also I think I mistook just another noble with the Seneschal at the end of Act 2. Because instead of being killed by the Qunari, he is still there doing whatever with no Viscount around. He informs Urien that Meredith is likely to realize he is dispensable and boot him to the curb soon. He tells Urien that Viscount Dumar's predecessor was removed because he opposed Meredith. Man how long has the Chantry allowed her to get away with this?

'And we use the term 'ruling' loosely'

Aveline really has the guard moving like a well oiled machine. Urien comments they are almost as formidable as the Templars.

'Yeah because when there was a Viscount they were so restrained and knew their place.'

I just don't get it. Why does everybody put up with this woman? Does she have a pet Kraken or something? Exiting the palace Urien and Aveline head over to the Chantry to fetch Sebastian. Maybe he has finally decided whether he will stick with the Chantry or regain his throne. And the Grand Cleric called him impulsive. On the way we run into Delilah Howe! She tells Urien that Nathaniel has ventured into the Deep Roads to find that Thaig Urien got rich in in Act 2. Maybe I finally learn about that Lyrium eh? Anyway she wants me to go in after him.

'Well I will try.

Do or do not. There is no try.'

So I am sure they will get right on that. First let's go see Grand Cleric Elthina not do anything in a highly spiritual manner.

'The Chantry has nothing to do with the Templars or the mages. Nothing to do really.'

The Divine has gotten tired of everything going down in Kirkwall and has sent a secret agent, codenamed 'Nightingale' to straighten stuff out. Elthina is horrified the Chantry might actually do something so wants Sebastian and Urien to take care of it and make for sure nothing is done.

'Step 1: Get rid of Meredith. There are no other steps.'

I sure hope this secret agent can help out somehow. Next they visit Fenris and he has not been able to restrain himself from trying to track down his sister. Well Aveline informs him she is here. They are to meet in the Hanged Man. Sounds legit.

'Do Dalish shit in the woods?'

Ok so with Sebastian, Fenris, and Aveline they head over to the Hanged Man. On the way Urien is stopped by a brave Kirkwall noble eager to back Urien's plot.

'Let's march on the Gallows right now! Oh what? No? Alright then'

She is going to send me secret messages. Because it is better for plotting to put down all of our plans in writing. Intrigue mastery!

They also swing by Hubert and just check on what is going on with the Bone Pit Mine. Well things are going horribly. A single horse escaped the mine pulling a cart full of dead miners. Hubert is trying to get the mages to talk to the horse.

'Sounds like another even division of labor'

So business as usual in the Bone Pit. Quick stop to see Uncle Gamlen in the Blooming Rose then they run into a totally legitimate Antivan government official wanting Urien to track down some Elf Assassin hiding out with the Dalish. Huh...could be anyone.

'Oh yeah I think I have heard of him'

Is that beard even possible? They go to the Hanged Man and Fenris' sister is waiting for him. She says his real name is Leto. I sure hope it is Leto II. And of course Danarius is there to pick up his property.

'They arrived right before you did. I am sorry'

The great battle enfolds and it ends...well the only way it could.

'Let's just say Danarius was heartbroken to lose his beloved slave *rim-shot*'

Urien convinces Fenris to let his sister go. While she is walking out she informs Fenris he was desperate to win the honor of becoming a magical super slave. He also freed his mother and sister as a boon after winning the honor. The process wiped Fenris' memory so he remembered none of this. He now realizes he has no past to reclaim. Now only an uncertain future. He decides to stay around and help his good buddy Urien who he has only tried to kill once. They leave the Hanged Man while the staff cleans up all the bodies. A disturbingly common situation when Urien drops in. One of the things the noble conspiracy wants Urien to do is find the Templar death squad in Lowtown. Well they see them roughing up some woman. Urien strolls up wondering how exactly he should handle this. Well it seems this group of Templars just murderers anybody who sees them on sight. That made it easier.

'The Champion of Kirkwall, the Captain of the Guard, and a Brother of the Chantry? KILL THEM ALL BROTHER TEMPLARS!!!11'

I mean WTF? So Templars were killed without Anders being involved at all. That is a first. Kirkwall really is bizarre world. Next they visit Gamlen at home. He has a note mentioning the Gem of Kerosheck and meeting some group in Darktown. Gamlen doesn't want to talk about it but he does have nice things to say to Urien.

'*sniff* thanks Uncle Gamlen'

The feels. This Gem of Kerosheck thing is one of the more impressive McGuffins I have ever seen. More on that later. At this point the Hanged Man is cleaned up so back to meet Isabela and Varric. Isabela is struggling with self loathing.

'Have you seen my other friends?'

Anyway Isabela eventually agrees we had fun and rejoins the group. Varric is discussing the events of Awakenings with Anders and marvels they ever ventured into a place called 'Blackmarsh'. Still better than 'The Bone Pit' I say. Varric tells him trouble is brewing. Glad we have your sensitive ear to the ground Varric. Then it is on to visit Merrill in the Alienage. She just kind of sits around looking at her mirror.

'Varric is kind of the team nanny'

Alright...only one freak left. Anders. He is kind of losing it. He goes on a big rant to Aveline about how she is nothing but a Templar stooge.

'Why do I have the sudden feeling the catastrophe will be called 'Anders'?'

And why does he think our cause is lost? Urien is on the case he has connections...oh ok I see it now. Anyway interesting he is blaming the Chantry after that letter they found in Act 2. Hey did he ever go to the Grand Cleric? Eh I don't know. He is probably completely out of his scull now. First they recover a cache from some mercenaries and Templars for the Noble's allied with Urien. Then they stop by the group of guys who were going to meet Gamlen about the gem. Well they decide they want the gem for themselves and attack us. Woah. Once they die the only clue is a mallet that looks like a mallet in Uncle Gamlen's house. So they go back to Gamlen's and discover his mallet was made from the wood of the giant tree in the Alienage.

So they go to the tree and them showing up asking about the mallet was the signal to get a note from an elf telling them to go investigate a crate in a storehouse in the Docks. Really? This quest is silly. While in the Alienage they run into that elf girl Urien rescued from the deranged son of the Magistrate in Act 1. She just joined the City Guard so that is good. Hey whatever happened to the magistrate? Didn't he swear revenge? This is going to be some very cold revenge when it is served indeed. On to the Docks.

'I wonder what handsome devil they built that statue of?'

So they go into the warehouse and are attacked by a massive horde of mercenaries. Holy shit this gem must be worth a king's ransom. They find another note telling them the gem is in a cave outside of town. Really so those dudes have just been waiting around until Gamlen got around to following up on all of this?

'A salient point'

Come on Bioware don't lampshade your own silly quests :P

A quick stop by the Gallows before meeting up with this Chantry secret agent. The Templar allies of Urien are ready.

It is amazing how unaltered my plan is from Act 1. It looks like I can actually go visit Meredith now...eh maybe later.

So this codename 'Nightingale' is going to meet Urien and Sebastian in the throne room of the Viscount's palace. It has been sealed since Act 2 but whatever Sebastian got that 40 cunning dontcha know. Inside they find a group of hardcore blood mages ready to murder them all. Well they were made short work of. Two more blood mages approach from behind and...

'LELIANA!!!111 Er....I mean nice to meet you woman I have never met before'

Leliana set this trap for these mages, a dangerous force of mage anarchists known as the 'Resolutionists' who are taking the 'Libertarians' philosophy into revolutionary action. She thinks they are behind the mage revolt in Kirkwall. While they are surely a factor it would be a small issue were Meredith's illegal policies not pushing the entire Gallows to revolt. Leliana is sure, after what she has observed, that horrible things are about to go down. She gives us one job.

'That would require Elthina to do something so probably not happening'

Well Urien tries.

'I bet there are plenty of Chantry driven catastrophes you can ignore that way'

Well she won't do it.

'Well I cannot say I have not been tempted to slap you a few times.'

Sebastian is moved by the Grand Cleric's courageous inaction and finally decides to stay loyal to the Chantry. What an exciting subplot that was :P

Urien heads home to check his mail from his noble accomplices. Seems pretty clear Leliana is not going to help for awhile. Isabela is there. Castillon is still trying to kill her but she has located his flunky Velasco. Now they just need a plan.

'A cunning plan that cannot fail'

And the conspiracy is afoot!

'This message will self destruct in five minutes'

Oh a bit of cloak and dagger. So they go down to Lowtown to find the Nobles conspiring together.

'Sanity? In Kirkwall? You nobles may be a bit extreme.'

Anyway there is a mole and hordes of Templars rush in. Fortunately all the Templars and Meredith loving traitor nobles are delt with. So glad the Templars have all this manpower to try to kill Urien. I guess the hunting for blood mages is left up to us again.

'Geez Meredith you have ONE JOB'

Now on to more cunning plans and crazy capers.

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on June 08, 2015, 10:12:36 PM
Fit what in? :hmm:

both storylines.  Now, it's one or the other.  With 2 more years development, such quests could have existed in parallel.

Valmy

I cannot believe this game came out in 2011. That blows my mind. Did it even have 2 years of development total?

viper37

You didn't forget to cash in reward in the Hanged Man for those bandits, did you? :)
Also, there's a Qunari waiting for you near your home, with an important quest.

Mini spoiler wich you might still want to click (not story related):
[spoiler]
He will offer you money, say no.  At the end of the quest, you'll get a juge xp bonus[/spoiler]