Main Menu

Nordic nations agree on defense cooperation

Started by jimmy olsen, April 10, 2015, 07:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

I was under the impression that hussars are light cavalry?  :unsure:

Admiral Yi

Generally they are. 

Don't know if I mentioned it or not, but it's pronounced hoo-zar.  I had thought it was pronounced husser, but a Canadian dude in their hussar regiment set me straight.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: citizen k on April 10, 2015, 03:05:39 PM
Marty would make a fabulous hussar.

For five minutes, then he'd fall off his horse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

PJL

Hoo-zars is definitely the right pronunciation from what I know. Saying anything else sounds silly to me.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 07:25:00 AM
A fearsome alliance to be sure.

But yeah kind of lame not even Estonia gets included.
I think it's more about the non-NATO members though. The Balts are already protected. Finland and Sweden, not so much.

Incidentally the British view that I've seen is that Scandinavia are pretty good at defence policy, where it matters, and add a lot.
Let's bomb Russia!

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 03:12:09 PM
Frankly who wouldn't look fabulous as a hussar?

Frankly the best thing to come out of Poland, except Hillshire Farm's Polska Kielbas. Excellent fried.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 10, 2015, 03:21:25 PM
Generally they are. 

Don't know if I mentioned it or not, but it's pronounced hoo-zar.  I had thought it was pronounced husser, but a Canadian dude in their hussar regiment set me straight.

In English, its Hussar (a sound, not e, and emphasis on the second syllable).  In the original Magyar (and maybe German and some other eastern European languages, not sure) its more like hoo-zar.  The Canadian dude may have been referring to how his unit referred to themselves, but the vast majority of the English-speaking world uses the English pronunciation.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

I thought Canada pronounced it like "hoe-ser".  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 10, 2015, 07:10:35 PM
I thought Canada pronounced it like "hoe-ser".  :P

I was deliberately avoiding provoking the caknuckleheads with Bob and Doug Mckenzie references.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Agelastus

Quote from: Monoriu on April 10, 2015, 03:14:15 PM
I was under the impression that hussars are light cavalry?  :unsure:

Basically everywhere else they were; Poland was the big exception.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Martinus

Hussars were a 19th century light cavalry.

Husaria were a 17th century Polish heavy cavalry.

That's like comparing dragoons and dragons. :P

Martinus

Or Roman legions and the French foreign legion.

Agelastus

Quote from: Martinus on April 11, 2015, 07:54:00 AM
Hussars were a 19th century light cavalry.

Husaria were a 17th century Polish heavy cavalry.

That's like comparing dragoons and dragons. :P

:rolleyes:

Try again when you've actually bothered to check even one article on the history and origins of Hussars, both in general and in the Polish iteration in particular.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."