100 billion barrels of Oil discovered near Gatwick airport in London

Started by jimmy olsen, April 09, 2015, 09:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah 'You mind if we pump oil in your garden?' is probably going to require a bit of negotiation. Not to mention the neighbors may be under the impression it may reduce their quality of life or something crazy like that.

But I bet you guys feel stupid for grabbing all those colonies to secure oil resources in the 20th century now eh? You were sitting on it all along.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 12:04:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on April 10, 2015, 12:03:38 PM
Poor Britain. :(  Hopefully they keep it as a reserve.  Oil can be a terrible curse on an economy.

Yeah it totally devastated Texas. Oh wait...

But I guess alot has changed since those days in the oil and gas market.
it destroyed Canada, apparently.  Thank God we don't exploit our oil in Quebec, not only would we keep on destroying Canada, but we'd be rich too.  Canadians would have real reasons to hates us now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 12:01:05 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 11:59:21 AM
Have they ever heard of hydraulic fracturing?

Leasing the land use alone would cost a fortune in that area. So many cheaper places to get oil.

Hydraulic fracturing uses very little land.
Have you seen a completed well?
It takes very little space. You can have it on your backyard.

What happens is all the pictures you see out there are of wells while under construction, which takes more space of course, but that is only temporarily until the well is complete.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

I am well aware what those things look like. We have been leasing land for fracking for years. But even with our relatively worthless farmland leasing is a big thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Lots of oil is not extractable using modern technology,  even hydraulic fracturing.  It isn't even (necessarily) dependent on how many houses are in the area, or how much they are worth. It's more a matter of how concentrated the oil is and how much pressure it is under.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 12:17:22 PM
What happens is all the pictures you see out there are of wells while under construction, which takes more space of course, but that is only temporarily until the well is complete.
You've never seen a picture of a completed oil well?   :huh:

You haven't been trying.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

KRonn

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 10, 2015, 07:49:06 AM
OPEC will invade.

The US may invade....    ;) 

But wait, the US now has massive reserves of oil and gas, so I think the UK is safe!    :bowler:

Norgy

Siege

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2015, 12:21:39 PM

You haven't been trying.

I have seen a lot of wells, but not fracking wells.
I am not in the fracking business.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

lustindarkness

Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 03:10:13 PM

You haven't been trying.

Not the water well you poison, oil wells.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 03:10:13 PM

You haven't been trying.

Well, it's not your fracking business, anyway.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on April 10, 2015, 12:14:42 PM
Yeah 'You mind if we pump oil in your garden?' is probably going to require a bit of negotiation.

Are you kidding me? I'd jump at the chance to have someone drill a well in my yard. That's like having a second paycheck for a job you don't have to go to.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 10, 2015, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 11:48:31 AM
Why wouldn't it be extracted?

South-East England, a couple of thousand people to each square mile living in houses valued at £500,000 on average, might not be worth it unless the extractive method is very unobtrusive.
And English land law doesn't help either I've read. Even ignoring the apparently sometimes difficult discovery of who owns the mineral rights (apparently the CofE especially was very aggressive in getting their manorial rights to minerals registered before the expiry of that 'overriding interst'). Lots of little rights and interests in the land that are all protected and would be probably very expensive to buy out.
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 10, 2015, 04:49:54 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on April 10, 2015, 12:12:41 PM
Quote from: Siege on April 10, 2015, 11:48:31 AM
Why wouldn't it be extracted?

South-East England, a couple of thousand people to each square mile living in houses valued at £500,000 on average, might not be worth it unless the extractive method is very unobtrusive.
And English land law doesn't help either I've read. Even ignoring the apparently sometimes difficult discovery of who owns the mineral rights (apparently the CofE especially was very aggressive in getting their manorial rights to minerals registered before the expiry of that 'overriding interst'). Lots of little rights and interests in the land that are all protected and would be probably very expensive to buy out.

Depends on your legal regime.  Here in Alberta, where the laws are well-developed (and not surprisingly oil company friendly) all those little interests get pooled and any and all revenue shared, even without your consent. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.