News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Poland getting more secular

Started by Martinus, April 07, 2015, 04:15:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

A handful of numbers from the recent public poll of Poles (with the increase by percentage points, in brackets, against 1997):

3(+2)% - absolute lack of belief in god/supernatural
5(-1)% - no belief in personal god but belief in a "divine force"
4(+2)% - agnostic
5(0)% - "sometimes" believe in god
27(+2)% - "mostly" believe in god (but has doubts)
56(-5)% - absolute belief in god

Specific beliefs:

Death:

36% - after death we go to heaven, hell or purgatory, as the church teaches*
4% - everybody goes to heaven
31% - death is not the end but we do not know what happens afterwards
18% - nothing happens after death

Salvation:

61% - you do not have to be religious to be saved

Other:

82% - God listens to prayers*
66% - There will be Final Judgement*
62% - There will be Resurrection of the Dead*
59% - There was Original Sin*
66% - Our lives are ruled by Fate
56% - There is Hell*
36% - Animals have souls
30% - There is reincarnation

* are Catholic dogmas; the ones without an * are not part of the Catholic belief / are heretical in Catholicism.

In total only 5% of people believe in all dogmas of Catholic faith while also not believing in non-Catholic beliefs (such as reincarnation or animals having souls).

Given that the Catholic Church has had the most privileged position in Poland for the last 25 years and given that Catholic religion is being taught (mainly by priests and nuns) in public schools as an ordinary subject, this looks like a spectacular failure of the Church to indoctrinate the population.  :lol:

Eddie Teach

So you've gone from being the 25% in '97 to being the 3% now, congrats? :unsure:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2015, 05:09:25 AM
So you've gone from being the 25% in '97 to being the 3% now, congrats? :unsure:

Wha?

viper37

there was 1% atheists in 1997's Poland, according to this poll...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

Wow, the Communists sucked at deprogramming the Poles. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

derspiess

Quote from: Caliga on April 07, 2015, 10:20:32 AM
Wow, the Communists sucked at deprogramming the Poles. :hmm:

Did a good job on the Czechs, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on April 07, 2015, 10:23:05 AM
Did a good job on the Czechs, though.

The Czechs were pretty much already liked that before the Commies showed up. They gave up being serious about being religious when Catholicism kept being re-forced on them over and over again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2015, 10:05:04 AM

I was postulating that Martinus wasn't an atheist in 1997. I don't know the exact timeline, but his rejection of Christianity seems to stem from wrestling with issues relating to their stance on his sexuality.

Valmy

Marty would have kept his faith in Bacchus.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2015, 10:54:22 AM
Quote from: viper37 on April 07, 2015, 10:05:04 AM

I was postulating that Martinus wasn't an atheist in 1997. I don't know the exact timeline, but his rejection of Christianity seems to stem from wrestling with issues relating to their stance on his sexuality.

Nah, I gave up much earlier. In 1997 I was already in a full blown Aleister Crowley phase.

Martinus

In fact, I started to explore my sexuality during my occult phase when I shared a flat with a mate.

It turned him into a fundamentalist Catholic and me into a gay atheist. I guess there needs to be a balance in the universe.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Crowley wasn't an atheist, was he? :unsure:

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 07, 2015, 11:25:12 AM
Crowley wasn't an atheist, was he? :unsure:

No. He was one of those mystic types. Marty jumped on the wacky wagon before falling off in Richard Dawkins' neighborhood.

I can see how it made Mart an atheist. I have a harder time figuring out how it made him gay  :P

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Your choice of lifestyle to me seems so tragic.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.