First Week of June Languish London Meet MEGATHREAD

Started by lustindarkness, April 01, 2015, 10:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Hey guys, sadly my trip to London is now a bit in limbo due to work stuff - I should know more on Monday.

Richard Hakluyt

Just checking in after my Scottish trip. We missed the last ferry and got marooned on Mull, ended up with the last rooms at the Western Isles Hotel in Tobermory and drank some excellent mojitos there  :cool:

Maladict

Eochaid

It's been a while

Richard Hakluyt

Looks like the Old Shades..........from what time onwards though B?

6 or 7 pm is probably best.

Brazen

Let's make it 6 then we can have a gossip and a drink while we decide what to eat. Unfortunately unless I've miraculously finished a 2,000-word  freelance feature I'm writing that's due Friday I'll have to slip away before too long.

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on June 01, 2015, 04:01:43 AM
Let's make it 6 then we can have a gossip and a drink while we decide what to eat. Unfortunately unless I've miraculously finished a 2,000-word  freelance feature I'm writing that's due Friday I'll have to slip away before too long.

If I am able to get off one hour earlier, I should be there around 6, if not I shall arrive an hour later. :)

Richard Hakluyt

The Old Shades is actually on Whitehall rather than the Trafalgar Square it mentions on the website. Can't say I've ever noticed it when walking down Whitehall, looks pretty good in the pics though.

Warspite

The Old Shades will likely be stuffed full of my colleagues.  :lol:

It's a good pub; it had a makeover three years ago turning from a dingy Whitehall tourist trap that wasn't very good at trapping tourists to become a much more up-market gastropub. It has a good selection of beers and the staff are friendly. It does get rather busy, however, once all the departments of state in the area start disgorging thirsty civil servants.

The only downside is that it is not cheap, you will be paying £4.50 for a pint.

Fun Fact: before we moved offices by about 200 metres, my office used to be directly above the kitchen of the Old Shades. They had a huge extractor fan that obviously had a failing bearing as it made a tremendous noise and vibration - to the extent that one day, the ceiling in my team's office caved in over my colleague's desk. Luckily she was not there. Between that the the dreadful smell of hot fat, it was not the nicest place to work.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Brazen

Tried calling The Old Shades to book a table but they seem to have problems on the telephone line - it's a nightmare of inaudible static. Dropped an email to their booking address and asked them to confirm.

Brazen

OK booking confirmed in my name. Except they spelt it wrong as per usual. If you're likely to arrive early and don't know my name, PM me.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Richard Hakluyt

Cheers Brazen  :cool:

One question, which surname do you use nowadays?

Martinus

So, turns out I won't be able to come. Drink a toast to my name.  :Embarrass:

Richard Hakluyt

Sure thing Marti, but at least your sunglasses will be safe.