Trevor Noah, New ‘Daily Show’ Host, Comes Under Scrutiny for Tweets

Started by Syt, March 31, 2015, 09:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on March 31, 2015, 10:14:27 AM
I watched his bits on the Daily Show.  I didn't really care for the "America the terrible" theme he had going in all of them.  They have to dial that shit back, no one likes a foreigner mocking their country, no matter how fairly (and in my opinion it wasn't fairly at all).  I hope he watches John Oliver's show for a while to see how to do these kinds of routines smoothly.

This is probably the bigger issue so his tweets probably seem insulting rather than funny since he seems to have this theme of animosity, not so much humor.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

I watched his bits on the Daily Show.  I didn't really care for the "America the terrible" theme he had going in all of them.  They have to dial that shit back, no one likes a foreigner mocking their country, no matter how fairly (and in my opinion it wasn't fairly at all).  I hope he watches John Oliver's show for a while to see how to do these kinds of routines smoothly.

I gotta say I had the same impression (I was afraid this may be my inner racism or something but did not like the guy too much for the reasons you mention). His entire shtick seemed to be "Africa is not worse than America and America sucks".

And yeah, John Oliver is great at it. This guy or Pierce Morgan aren't. I guess if you want to successfully run the "foreigner talking shit about America" shtick you need not to be an asshole.

Eddie Teach

Oliver really needs to drop that "Why is _____ still a thing?" segment though. His condescending Euroweenieness really shines through in that.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 03, 2015, 12:43:07 AM
Oliver really needs to drop that "Why is _____ still a thing?" segment though. His condescending Euroweenieness really shines through in that.

Really? I thought it is spot on.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Anyway, now with Colbert gone and Stewart on his way out, I had to broader my US news sources - they now comprise Languish, Bill Maher and John Oliver.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on April 03, 2015, 12:25:16 AM

I gotta say I had the same impression (I was afraid this may be my inner racism or something but did not like the guy too much for the reasons you mention). His entire shtick seemed to be "Africa is not worse than America and America sucks".

What the hell? Agreeing with DG's reasons are perfectly fine (and not racist) but are you seriously saying that part of the reason you dislike him is because of his skin tone? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

No, I am saying that I disliked him for his anti-Americanism/pro-Africanism but I wondered if I may be subconsciously prejudiced against him. I am glad to see other people feel the same so it is probably not that.

Don't you ever question or examine your likes/dislikes of specific people because of subsconcious prejudice?

garbon

dps

Quote from: celedhring on March 31, 2015, 11:24:14 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 31, 2015, 10:32:36 AM
I wonder who actually watches the news or reads a newspaper these days.

I still read newspapers, but truth be said I haven't watched TV news in ages. It's just completely insubstantial.

Same here, unless you consider The Weather Channel or Sportscenter to be news.

derspiess

Everyone in the office but me watches local news every night.  They act all weird & stuff when I tell them I never watch it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall