How Marine Le Pen is winning France’s gay vote

Started by Martinus, March 31, 2015, 09:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on April 01, 2015, 12:43:31 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on March 31, 2015, 03:56:01 PM
Bigot picks on minorities. Wins support of useful idiots :bleeding:

Don't be so hard on yourself. You are only indirectly supporting the right of anti-gay muslim clerics to call for the deaths of gays in Britain.   :P
If they're inciting they should be prosecuted.

I can oppose Islamophobia and homophobia at the same time, also walk and chew gum :P

QuoteI suppose you think supporting more immigration of violently homophobic Muslims to Europe is more reasonable.
In general on this sort of thing I'm pretty liberal, I've always supported immigration and I still do. It's Europe's only future. But obviously homophobia and violence are unacceptable and should be confronted, as should the politics of the far-right.

QuoteWell, Pim was openly gay himself so it is a bit different. Still, I don't blame gay people for not wanting to live in Saudi Arabia.
Also Pim's party was entirely new. The FN have, within the past couple of years, campaigned against gay marriage and, within the last decade, been lead by a Holocaust denier.
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2015, 11:43:46 AM
Yowza.

You use a Nazi avatar and you ramble on about the slavering monsters then you get the pink triangle Holocaust picture.  It Missouri law.  Well actually it's city ordnance in Otterville, but it's in Missouri and it's lawish.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on April 01, 2015, 12:39:44 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 01, 2015, 09:04:12 AM

You think the FN will slit the gays's throats once they both got rid of the Muslims?  I wouldn't put it past them, in the search for a pure France.  After all homosexuality is kinda incompatible with the old catholic mentality.

As I was writing until my godsdamned connection failed, to think the FN, once in power, would start opening concentration camps and vote racists laws is intensely stupid - see the above poster.  The FN's popularity is in direct proportion with the obtuse denial of the excesses of globalization and 'communautarism' as they call multiculturalism in continental Europe.  Keep on with you head in the sand and the FN will keep on garnering support.
G.
whose having head in the sand here, I really wonder.

On the one hand, you got a peaceful population, with slight intolerance toward homosexuality and out of wedlock relations.  Among that large population, a few groups of extremists are making lots of noise and poisoning the lives of this peaceful population and the larger one that included them.  Then you listen to the extremists, decide all the population is like that, so you ally with bigger extremists to rout them.

It seems to me that history is filled with examples like that.

Well, recently, I think there were Sunnites in Irak thinking like this.  Al Maliki was the biggest threat, thinking otherwise was having your head in the sand.  So they allied with ISIS to get rid of Maliki and his intolerant government.  Once ISIS assumed control, they started murdering the Sunni cheiks, than the Sunni population who resisted, along with the Shiites.  The guys who said ISIS was not a problem and they would take care of them right after Maliki was goned were, of course, killed first.

So.  France now.  While I don't think the FN would use mass murder as tool of intimidation, I have a really hard time imaging them as gay friendly, once they get rid of the common ennemy.

But I may be wrong.  There may be examples out there of an extreme right wing party who became very friendly to gays once they achieve power.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 01, 2015, 01:27:18 PMI've always supported immigration and I still do.

I find statements like that very frustrating, like immigration has to be all or nothing.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Martinus

This is the discussion we have had countless of times and it has always gone like this. No point in rehashing it for the 100th time.

What troubles me is that to people like Sheilbh the people putting forth a counter-argument to his position are either "bigots" or "useful idiots". You cannot have a civil discussion when one side demonises the other.

Because the concerns over immigrants from Muslim countries bringing with them attitudes and cultural values that many people - including minorities such as Jews or gays; or women - are threatened by are legitimate. The answer is not to "deport them all" or to stop immigration - but the answer is needed, and you can't just tell people who have these concerns that they are delusional or uninformed rubes.

And this is exactly the reason why parties like FN gain in popularity - because stances like Sheilbh's (i.e. a refusal to even acknowledge these concerns are legitimate and engage in a discussion without name calling) are all too common in the "mainstream".

garbon

Well if the other side is happy to jump into bed with a party of racists...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2015, 01:29:12 AM
Well if the other side is happy to jump into bed with a party of racists...

Wow, have you even read what I wrote?  :huh:

garbon

Yeah and I don't buy it. If one is concerned about immigration there aren't only two options of do nothing and support a party founded on hate.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I rest my case. Let's get back to name calling.

The Brain

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2015, 02:06:18 AM
Yeah and I don't buy it. If one is concerned about immigration there aren't only two options of do nothing and support a party founded on hate.

In Sweden 7 parties in parliament support the current open door policy to flood the country with Muslims and not encourage assimilation. 1 party in parliament does not (SD). SD is what you would call a party founded on hate. Other parties that a concerned voter has to choose between include the hopelessly marginal Nazi parties.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Yup. In France the situation is the same (or, for Jewish people, you can also choose to emigrate to Israel).

Martinus

I just realised garbon votes Republican. Sorry, should have realised it was a troll. :lol:

garbon

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on April 02, 2015, 02:22:40 AM
Now that's a knee slapper.

Sorry, but everything you or Sheilbh say about Front Nationale here can be easily said about the GOP.

garbon

Parts of it, sure. Course the other aspect is my unwavering GOP support.