News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

When Do They Start Looking All The Same?

Started by Queequeg, June 16, 2009, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Chinaman-girls is a Languish term - Jacob pointed it out when Lettow used it.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Queequeg

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 17, 2009, 07:39:13 PM
You would not.
Seriously?  There's no way Chinese/Koreans have trouble telling eachother apart. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Palisadoes

Quote from: PDH on June 17, 2009, 07:46:08 PM
Chinaman-girls is a Languish term - Jacob pointed it out when Lettow used it.
Ahh right. I still like the word "ladyboys", mind.

PDH

Quote from: Queequeg on June 17, 2009, 07:46:31 PM
Seriously?  There's no way Chinese/Koreans have trouble telling eachother apart.
Of course they have trouble - that is why they all have the same name.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Queequeg on June 17, 2009, 07:46:31 PM
Seriously.  I spent my childhood in Korea and I have difficulty telling some Koreans apart.

Queequeg

Thought this was interesting, and appropriate.  It would seem that there's really quite a bit of phenotype diversity in Asia, it is just that most of it is on the outskirts and most clear between modern boundaries (which represent real, long standing genetic barriers in some cases, unlike in Europe). 
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/24/LA2-NSRW-1-0149.jpg

The Buriat could fairly easily be Japanese, so could the (slightly weird?) Chinese man.  I think the Korean looks quite a bit different.  The Ainu is supposedly a kind of throwback to the the time when Caucasians and Mongoloids were pretty similar, after they'd broken off from the original African (read:black) type (including modern New Guineans, Australians, possibly Tamils, other native peoples of the area).  The Giljak are the weirdest looking people in the world, and not in a good way. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Phillip V

I have trouble telling white people apart. In context, I have lived in places where it was mostly white.

Phillip V

I also been mistaken by my white peers for another person of every other non-white ethnicity including Hispanic, Chinese, (dark) Italian, black, etc.

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Phillip V on June 18, 2009, 01:51:30 AM
I also been mistaken by my white peers for another person of every other non-white ethnicity including Hispanic, Chinese, (dark) Italian, black, etc.

I've been mistaken as half asian in China, Thailand, Malaysia, and Berkeley.  They seem to think every white person has blonde hair and blue eyes, brown hair and hazel eyes means you're mixed.

HisMajestyBOB

I sometimes still have trouble with Asians. But I also occasionally have trouble with whites, blacks, and others, too, so I guess it's all about the same.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Last summer I worked for the university in its English language student summer school helping to organise and run the various social events and cultural trips and all that sort of thing.
By far the largest number of foreign students there came from China and as one of the social leaders it was my  job to be all bright and friendly and to make friends with them....I'm no good with names at the best of times, now that was a disaster that time. I was just walking down the corridor and had shouted at me "Hello Tyr!", I turned and smiled and all I could come up with was "Hello.....". When it came to actually having to remember the names for getting their attention, handing out letters and that sort of thing...damn it got embarrassing. It even went beyond recognising someone but not remembering their name, I grew unsure whether someone asking me something was someone I knew already or a randomer.

But anyway. On Chinese/Korean/Japanese...
I think I am pretty good at telling the difference between Japanese and Chinese, I don't know what it is (barring some Japanese having brown hair) but they do tend to look different. Koreans though utterly confuse things and if you throw them into the mix I've very little chance.

Quote from: Disturbed pervertI've been mistaken as half asian in China, Thailand, Malaysia, and Berkeley.  They seem to think every white person has blonde hair and blue eyes, brown hair and hazel eyes means you're mixed.
Their definition of blonde does tend to be anything non-jet-black though. I always get called blonde by non-white folks despite being really rather brown.
What do they make of green eyes btw?
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tyr on June 19, 2009, 07:41:01 AM
What do they make of green eyes btw?

Not sure, but Chinese sometimes have green eyes.

PDH

I was once mistaken for someone who cares, or at least half-cares.  Luckily I disabused them of this notion with a swift knee-capping.
-Umberto Eco

-------

-CdM